PDA

View Full Version : Here We Go...new to hiking/backpacking.

Monster13
07-24-2009, 12:01
:) Okay, where to start? :)

My name is Megan. My husband and I just moved to San Antonio, Tx where he's now stationed at Lackland Air Force Base. I've grown up horseback riding, hunting, short day hikes, and the occasional luxury camping trip (tent, air mattress, big dinner with steak and potatos...a truck loaded down with gear) in the woods around Central Alabama. I've never camped with only what I could carry in, although the thought has always intrigued me. Around Jr. High I became aware of the possibility of thru hiking the AT. It was an amazing discovery, and I've wanted to do it since then.

At this point in my life my husband and I are looking for new things to try. So now I'm to a point where I can pick up hiking seriously, and perhaps make my thru hike a reality. So now the research is starting. I found this site a few days ago and lurked for a day or two before registering, then lurked some more before finally posting. I've been reading some of the forums, but mostly the articles on packing lists, thru hiking, hiking with dogs, etc. All very helpful information. Now I'm ready to start meeting people and seeing what I can learn from them!

I start school at University of Texas at San Antonio majoring in photography at the end of August. I'm pretty excited as I think hiking will definitely supplement my career. I'm going to start by doing a lot of walking around my neighborhood and the parks around SA, but I probably won't start any serious hiking until this fall mostly because of the heat here. I figure I can get in shape in the mornings/evenings and inside in the air conditioning without the added dangers severe heat includes.

So that's where I am. I'm super excited about getting to know this community! :D

Monster13
07-24-2009, 12:04
I meant to add that my thru hike probably won't happen for a few years. I'm planning on waiting until I graduate from UTSA. I've got most of my core classes, so it should only be two to three years before I graduate. My advisor gave me a sheet to plan out the what classes and when I should take them so I'll have a better estimate in a day or two. :)

Nean
07-24-2009, 12:24
:welcometo WB Megan! Dream the dream!

Lyle
07-24-2009, 12:52
Welcome.

I saw your other post about the gear set. If I were you I'd hold off a bit (unless you have a trip planned real soon) and check out the articles section accessible from the home page. Lots of good pointers there both on buying high-quality gear and outfitting on the cheap.

Read, ask some questions, then buy or rent some gear that you don't have and get out there and hike! That's the best teacher of all. Choose a moderate area with optional bail-out points and you will be safe to learn by trial and error.

Always remember to HAVE FUN!!! Even when the weather turns against you and you are tired.

TexasEd
07-24-2009, 12:52
I grew up in San Antonio and some nice day trips are nearby.
Get some exercise at Lost Maples park in Western Bandera County.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/lost_maples/

Also Lost Pines in Bastrop state Park near Bastrop.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/bastrop/

You can search the TPWD website for other primitive camping opportunities. I think Texas has more state park land than national parks.