PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good set to start out hiking with?

Monster13
07-24-2009, 12:12
http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cfm/ID/19420

So this is my first gear question on whiteblaze! :D

I'm just starting out hiking. I understand this gear is a little more heavy than I'd really want to go long distance with, but from the very few reviews I found about it it seems like it may be a pretty good set. I'm a little leary of quality with a price like that, but again...just starting out I don't need the best gear until I know for sure that I'm really into hiking.

Whatcha think? :)

Phreak
07-24-2009, 12:23
Sure. It'll let you get out and try it without breaking the bank.

joelrash
07-24-2009, 12:38
But not great either. For that price you could also look at picking up some quality used gear. Plenty of folks on here have multiple tents, bags, packs, etc. that they would unload for $40-$75 each. Might be 3-5 years old, but solid name brands and you're recycling instead of driving demand for new junk.

Summit
07-24-2009, 13:00
Never heard of the brand, but like Phreak said, it would get you started so you could get a taste of backpacking and start learning what you like and don't like in the way of equipment. Welcome to WB BTW!

:welcome

sly dog
07-24-2009, 13:09
6.3lb tent is a bit much, I see it is a two man though. I think you would not need such a warm bag for the AT unless you are starting a thru but for summer camping it aint worth the weight, go for a 30-40 degree area.

toegem
07-24-2009, 13:22
I'll echo what joelrash said, you can get some decent gear used whether here or on e-bay, this way if you enjoy backpacking you have gear that can be recycled again as you upgraded the gear over time. If you don't like backpacking just put the gear back up for sale, it's sort of like renting.

CowHead
07-24-2009, 13:26
one of these days I need to clean out my hiking room used to be a closet...At least that's what my wife keeps telling me...

David@whiteblaze
07-28-2009, 10:45
looks good to start with, i spent the same on individual tent and pack,
=2X the money, see my other post for brands "YOUR thoughts on MY new gear."

skinewmexico
07-28-2009, 11:57
I would be afraid that due to the heavy weights, you might not like the pasttime, which is too much fun. And that bag is Way overkill for Texas. But like others said, it is an economic way to try it out. You might check Sunnysports.com, they have some packages there too, and they usually have some good GoLite sales.