PDA

View Full Version : 50 mile trip in TN or southern VA

TexasEd
07-24-2009, 12:39
My brothers and I are getting together for a reunion of sorts and are going to do a section of the AT or other trails this August.

Radford, VA is where one of my brothers lives so we will use his house to drive out to our starting point.

We have been searching for the best route for us, all novices, but we have been getting inconsistent information.

One brother has suggested starting at Dennis Cove NOBO towards Holston Mtn and back.

Things I have read suggest Damascus as a good place to start.

Criteria:
1. 50 miles over 4 days
2. Moderate difficulty
3. We want to get away from work, cities, cars, etc so no road hiking
4. If round trip, are there Blue Blazes or other side trails for one leg of the trip
5. If one-way, we may need a shuttle and a safe place to leave the car

Thanks

trippclark
07-24-2009, 12:52
Easy answer. My favorite trip is southbound from Fox Creek to Damascus. You can get a shuttle to Fox Creek from Damascus from Lone Wolf or Mount Rogers Outfitters.

If you stay on the AT the whole way, it is 42 miles.
If you hop off the AT and come into Damascus on the Creeper Trail, you'll shorten the trip to 40 miles.
This is a bit under your 50 mile requirement, so use the extra half day to rent a bike and ride the Creeper Trail from Whitetop to Damascus.
Enjoy!

Christus Cowboy
07-24-2009, 13:13
Tripp's suggestion is a good one.... there are many options down our way... in the interest of length I PM'd you with 3 different options if you are interested just drop me line and I'll PDF some stuff and either e-mail it to you or post it on this thread..... Additionally, you mentioned that you are "novices".. that said, what kind of gear to you have? I'm certainly not doubt anyone's ability here but a 50 mile hike does require some preparation and you're adversion to road walking means that most of our suggestions will put you a little further out there in the backcountry....

TexasEd
07-24-2009, 13:28
We grew up in the outdoors, more camping than backpacking, but I think we'll manage the transition. Some of my brothers are borrowing gear. I have to fly to VA so I'll be bringing less and picking up the food when I get there.

I'm getting my gear in order. I haven't bought my pack yet though I've been fitted for a few. Waiting to get the last of my gear to get the pack size right.

I hunt a lot so I have things like headlamps, frog togs, travel first aid, etc.. already and I'm wearing my boots now. It isn't uncommon for my hunting trips to involve packing in 60 pounds of decoys, calls, coats, waders, guns, and more 2 miles one way through the mud at 3:00 AM for a duck hunt.

My brothers are all pretty athletic even today. I'm not as worried about the walking as about what they will bring (too much too heavy I fear).

Go ahead and post your message here. My brothers can see it that way and we can comment on it.

Jack Tarlin
07-24-2009, 13:40
North of Damascus would be great.

I'd also consider going from Erwin TN to Rt. 19E This is a great stretch of Trail; it'd take you past some of the prettiest scenery in the South, the Roan Highlands; it'd include the prettiest shelter on the Trail (Overmountain), and would end in a nice downhill to the highway. Also, Mountain Harbour B&B is just three tenths of a mile from the 19E trailhead; it's a fine place to stay or to leave a vehicle. And the mileage is right; I think it's about 48 miles.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2009, 13:41
i highly recommend parking in damascus and getting a shuttle to dickey gap/VA 16. it's a 49 mile hike south back to damascus

FlyPaper
07-24-2009, 14:44
I would suggest Dennis Cove Rd all the way to Damascus. It is around 51 miles.

You could get a shuttle from Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus. (Park in Damascus, shuttle to Dennis Cove and walk back). It is not very difficult, hopefully not too easy for you.

trippclark
07-24-2009, 14:54
i highly recommend parking in damascus and getting a shuttle to dickey gap/VA 16. it's a 49 mile hike south back to damascus

Yep, that covers the hike that I suggested, plus adds an extra 8 miles or so!

Christus Cowboy
07-24-2009, 14:54
...Go ahead and post your message here. My brothers can see it that way and we can comment on it.

Christus Cowboy here.... I used to live in College Station Texas and currently I live in Northeast TN... I've a couple options you could consider if you are interested:

Option #1: Carver's Gap to Hampton, TN beautiful 48 mile run along the AT. Pros: Beautiful country, you could park your car at the Baemer Castle Hostel in Hampton and catch a ride to the trailhead. Cons: This may be a little too far south of where you want to go, some parts may be a little more strenuous than you want....

Option #2: Cumberland Gap / Ridge Trail this is a sweet little trail in Cumberland Gap National Historical Park that runs about 25 miles one way from Ewing, VA to Middlesboro Kentucky.... You could do an out and back and make it about 40 miles if you wish... Pros: This trail is a great trail for first timers looking for a moderate trail with some neat sites along the way... its a lightly used park so you can avoid the crowds associated with other trails, its a well defined trail as well.... Cons: if you wanted to get the mileage you want you would have to do an out and back which means you would do this trail once to go out and then another time to get back....

Option #3: Grayson Highlands / West Circuit Loop this is a 44 mile circuit loop in the beautiful Grayson Highlands Park area... Pros: Beautiful scenery and herds of wild ponies, the trail plan has you going on a circuit loop which means you exit the trail where you started which means no shuttle. Cons: This trail plan pieces together 3 to 4 trails to make the circuit loop and one spot in particular could be a little tricky.....

I have information on all three options and can send it to you in PDF and can even answer some questions that your friends may have just let me know...

Christus Cowboy

Tennessee Viking
07-24-2009, 15:13
The only mildly difficult piece of trail between Dennis Cove and Damascus would be Pond Mountain. Other than that, its all ridge walk with not a lot of views.

I would do the Virginia sections going into Damacus. You got Whitetop and Graysons.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2009, 15:18
I would do the Virginia sections going into Damacus. You got Whitetop and Graysons.

and the option of walking the Creeper Trail into Damascus

JJJ
07-24-2009, 18:30
I'm biased, but I'd go with a sobo route into DAM and have some cream or half and half and honey with me for the blueberries at Scales. :D
I might even be car camping there on the weekend. I'll have enough to share.

Lone Wolf
07-24-2009, 20:34
I'm biased, but I'd go with a sobo route into DAM and have some cream or half and half and honey with me for the blueberries at Scales. :D
I might even be car camping there on the weekend. I'll have enough to share.

there's gonna be a bunch of us car campin' at the scales 21-22 aug. join us. we'll do a loop run

JJJ
07-24-2009, 23:20
Might take ya up on that, LW.

fredmugs
07-27-2009, 08:52
Definitely hike north of Damascus than south of it. I just did the 50 miles south to Dennis Cove and it was not memorable. You'll enjoy the trail north of Damascus a whole lot more.

humunuku
07-27-2009, 17:27
Option #3: Grayson Highlands / West Circuit Loop this is a 44 mile circuit loop in the beautiful Grayson Highlands Park area... Pros: Beautiful scenery and herds of wild ponies, the trail plan has you going on a circuit loop which means you exit the trail where you started which means no shuttle. Cons: This trail plan pieces together 3 to 4 trails to make the circuit loop and one spot in particular could be a little tricky.....

Christus Cowboy

what trail make up this loop...the AT and IMT?

Christus Cowboy
07-28-2009, 10:32
what trail make up this loop...the AT and IMT?

I don't have my map in front of me but it is pretty much AT IMT using using two smaller trails on the northern and southern side of the circuit to complete the loop... I believe the Pine Mountain Trail segment on the northern side and the Feathercrest Trail on the southern side but don't quote me......

TexasEd
07-28-2009, 12:37
OK, we might switch to the Troutdale/VA16 to Damascus route. This raises some new questions:

1. How do we arrange a shuttle (phone number) and what is the cost? There will be 4 of us.
2. What water sources are available on this route?
3. Where can I find an online route planning tool for shelters and topography so we can gauge our distances over the course?
4. Are there any other side trails that would make a nice journey other than the Virginia Creeper?
5. Is the Virginia Creeper heavily traveled by bicycles? Is this a problem for hikers?
6. Are there any areas to fish near the campsites? One of my brothers wants to bring some small poles.

Tennessee Viking
07-28-2009, 13:12
OK, we might switch to the Troutdale/VA16 to Damascus route. This raises some new questions:

1. How do we arrange a shuttle (phone number) and what is the cost? There will be 4 of us.
2. What water sources are available on this route?
3. Where can I find an online route planning tool for shelters and topography so we can gauge our distances over the course?
4. Are there any other side trails that would make a nice journey other than the Virginia Creeper?
5. Is the Virginia Creeper heavily traveled by bicycles? Is this a problem for hikers?
6. Are there any areas to fish near the campsites? One of my brothers wants to bring some small poles.

1. Check with Lonewolf. He does a lot of shuttling from and to Damascus.
2. I have seen water quite often around there. And it has been a bit more wet this year than previous years.
3. Mileages change all the time but nothing significant. Dunigan's AT shelter site is a good tool. Also the Va-Mt Rogers area AT map
4. Mt Rogers summit trail (highest point in VA). VA Highlands Horse trail south of Graysons. Bear Tree Gap Trail leads up to a FS campground & a lake. At Taylors Valley, take the spur to parking area and there is a nice cafe there. Then make sure not to pass up Dots.
5. Creeper is used a lot of by bicyclists but I never heard of any problems. Just keep to the side.
6. Lots of trout fishing at the major creeks. Especially along the Creeper. Bear Tree Lake. Holston Lake & River which is only a short distance out of town.

Christus Cowboy
07-28-2009, 20:46

If you want some good online topo maps check out Mr. Parkay's work on google maps. He's done alot of work in this area and I have found it to be a useful tool.... You can get what need from this link....

http://www.thetrailwiki.org/

I hope you guys have a great trip and make sure to post the details of your trip when you get back.

TexasEd
08-05-2009, 14:58
Lone wolf,

I sent you a PM. PLease call me so we can arrange a shuttle.

Thanks,
Ed

TexasEd
08-17-2009, 10:34
We completed our hike Mon-Thur 10-13 August.

We had a great time on the trail. I would have to say the most picturesque spot was Buzzard Rock. We got their right as the fog lifted and stayed for a while and then some clouds rolled in.

Thanks for all the input and help.

ihavgon
11-08-2009, 12:17
My sister, cousin, friend and I hiked the Fox Creek to Damascus section during the 2nd week of October this year. We hit the leaf change perfectly. The whole trip has "wow" factor every day. We used the Hiker Inn for our pre and post Damascus stay. Suzanne treated us wonderfully. Our plans included an extra day after the hike, which we used to bike ride down Whitetop mountain to Damascus on the Virginia Creeper. We also used that day to go into Abingdon to catch the Barter Theater and have supper at the Tavern. I would highly recommend this hike to anyone.