PDA

View Full Version : Save 08/08/09!

Jack Tarlin
07-24-2009, 13:27
Just a reminder that two weeks from tomorrow is the Rutland Long Trail Festival.

(See www.longtrailfestivalvt.com for details).

In addition to good times with Long Trail and A.T. hikers past and present, there will presentations, food, lots of music, and best of all, a Trail maintenance project that will include a very special guest from Dennis Cove, TN.

Hope to see lots of you there!

Tennessee Viking
07-24-2009, 15:56
Looks like Bob is a busy man this year. Just getting done with his European tour and then going to the LT.

Jeff
07-24-2009, 16:51
Jack....Thanks for spreading the news!!!

Who is looking after Kincora while Bob is out of the country??

Jack Tarlin
07-24-2009, 16:53
Bearpaw88 (who posts here now and again) was in charge while Bob was away in Spain, and she did a great job.

As to who's watching Kincora when Bob travels North, I don't know, but I'm sure it'll be someone equally capable.

Foyt20
07-25-2009, 13:52
Sorry, Cant make it, thats my wedding :D

Red Hat
07-25-2009, 17:45
I had a blast last year at the Long Trail Festival. Unfortunately this year my husband will be in the hospital with his heart problems. Say hi to everyone for me.

Jack Tarlin
07-31-2009, 12:45
Heading off to Rutland in a few days to help build stages and other things. Looking forward to a great time as this event gets better every year. Hope to see lots of you there!

Chaco Taco
07-31-2009, 12:54
Heading off to Rutland in a few days to help build stages and other things. Looking forward to a great time as this event gets better every year. Hope to see lots of you there!

Give Johnny Thunder a big hug for us

Jeff
07-31-2009, 13:40
Give Johnny Thunder a big hug for us

Hope they get to Rutland. Last I saw JT and Freefall they were headed to the Bromley Alpine Slide....having too much fun!!!!

Yukon
07-31-2009, 14:41
I'll be coming through rutland right around that time, on the LT. Hope the festival goes well :)

Panzer1
08-02-2009, 11:26
What's the camping like ther? Is it OK? Who's going?

Panzer

Jack Tarlin
08-02-2009, 13:58
Beautiful campsite on the country Fairgrounds, with real bathrooms and showers available.

Panzer1
08-02-2009, 21:01
Do they sell food there?

Panzer

trailangelmary
08-03-2009, 01:53
Hope to make it there one of these years but looks like this year is not the one. I hope everyone has a great time renewing friendships and making new ones. I have never heard anything negative about this event.
Haven't checked the weather lately up there. It's been really different all over the east coast this year. NOBO's may need some extra support and encouragement.
Go 09ers! You can do it!
Cudos to all the planners of this event. Wish I could come and help.

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2009, 10:00
There will be some food vendors on-site, and the Fairgrounds are within easy walking distance of all sorts of eating places, as well as a supermarket.

Heater
08-03-2009, 10:02
There will be some food vendors on-site, and the Fairgrounds are within easy walking distance of all sorts of eating places, as well as a supermarket.

Will they have Turkey legs there?

Panzer1
08-03-2009, 19:17
Were going to head up on Thursday and get a room for Thursday night. Is there anything we can do in the area on Thursday that might be fun.

Panzer

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2009, 19:20
Have a nice steak and find a movie theater.

Other than that, Rutland at night is not particularly exciting.

See you Friday!

rickb
08-03-2009, 19:33
Were going to head up on Thursday and get a room for Thursday night. Is there anything we can do in the area on Thursday that might be fun.

Panzer

The Inn at the Long Trail is 10 Miles east and has good nachos and beer. Or you could head north and look for the Monkey holding up a VW along the side of the road.

Lone Wolf
08-03-2009, 19:44
The Inn at the Long Trail is 10 Miles east and has good nachos and beer.

if you don't mind blowing a lot of cash

rickb
08-03-2009, 19:55

Yup.

Still a fun place.

Tinker
08-03-2009, 20:04

True, but you could always have a tailgate party across the road in the parking lot for the "old" AT/LT. It would be worth a trip across the street for the ILT's Irish Guiness stew or their reuben sandwich.
I, personally think their nachos are only ok.
Just watch crossing Rte 4 :eek:.

Jack Tarlin
08-04-2009, 13:05
I don't know the last time Wolf was at the Inn at Long Trail, but I was just there last week.

It's not that expensive a place at all, especially when you consider its location.

And the proprietors have always been cool with hikers camping across the street, as they know not everyone wants (or can afford) to stay in the Inn.

So really, you can spend time here without spending an inordinate ammount of cash, and you should definitely check the place out if you're in the area. Good times, good food and drink, and really friendly staff.

Lone Wolf
08-04-2009, 13:14
I don't know the last time Wolf was at the Inn at Long Trail, but I was just there last week.

It's not that expensive a place at all, especially when you consider its location.

i was there a couple of years ago

it's very expensive for budget minded hikers http://www.innatlongtrail.com/dining.htm#menu
$4-$6 for a beer plus menu items add up

Jack Tarlin
08-04-2009, 13:30
Welll, yeah. Going to restaurants costs money. But considering its location, I don't think the food prices are out of line at all. I can think of places all up and down the Trail that have comparably priced items on their menu (the NOC, etc). And nobody is ever compelled to buy a six dollar beer either. But if you think you're gonna pay $2.75 for a Guiness there (or anywhere else on the Trail for that matter), you're likely to be in for a surprise.

Hoop Time
08-04-2009, 20:24
I have had some of the local Long Trail brewery's products and was well impressed. Particularly liked the pint glass I got that says "Take a hike" on the back

rcli4
08-04-2009, 21:42
Welll, yeah. Going to restaurants costs money. But considering its location, I don't think the food prices are out of line at all. .......

Why do you keep saying, considering it's location. It's a beer joint along a highway. What's special about it's location?

Clyde

Panzer1
08-04-2009, 22:55

My wife says I can afford it and that she's worth it. :D

Panzer

Panzer1
08-05-2009, 00:13
Is there any particular place at the campground where people from WB/Billville are going to be camping?

Panzer

Jack Tarlin
08-05-2009, 09:56
There will be one place where everyone will be camping, so folks should be pretty easy to find. The campsite opens at noon Friday and people can stay thru the weekend. There will be a one-time-only fee of $5.00 for camping (per person, not per tent), and this is good for the whole weekend. Dogs are welcome, but must remain leashed.

saimyoji
08-05-2009, 11:35
Dogs are welcome, but must remain leashed.

hahahahahahahahaha

ShelterLeopard
08-05-2009, 11:52
Any hikers could always stay at the back home again cafe and hostel, if you don't mind listening to very strange religious music first thingin the morning. (Other than that, it was very nice. Free bunk, free good food, and all I had to do was sweep out the bunkrooms. And their bread is soooo good)

Panzer1
08-05-2009, 16:40
Were is the "12 tribes" located. We might want to drive past their place if we have nothing else to do just sort of like a tourist attraction thing.

Panzer

ShelterLeopard
08-05-2009, 17:03
The one I mentioned above if the Twelve tribes. They're at Back Home Again Cafe (which in next to, and part of Simon the Tanners Outfitter) They're very nice people.

Panzer1
08-05-2009, 21:06
Does anyone know where I can get a quick online map of the long trail? We might want to take a talk there this weekend.

Panzer

Jack Tarlin
08-06-2009, 09:17
Not that I know of. There will probably be people there with maps, Panzer, in case you don't want to purchase one.

angewrite
08-07-2009, 10:08
Sorry, Cant make it, thats my wedding :D

Congrats! Mine too but I'm still going ;)

angewrite
08-07-2009, 10:11
i was there a couple of years ago

it's very expensive for budget minded hikers http://www.innatlongtrail.com/dining.htm#menu
$4-$6 for a beer plus menu items add up

You should know as well as anyone else, that's just what food and beer go for in New England. Particularly in a tourist area.

Landshark
08-07-2009, 12:18
See you at the Festival! I will be helping my husband who is running the two music stages Saturday.

p.s. Inn at LT nachos...DELICIOUS

Jester2000
08-07-2009, 19:34
Why do you keep saying, considering it's location. It's a beer joint along a highway. What's special about it's location?

Clyde

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's location is across the street from Killington & Pico, where a season pass for skiing will run you a thousand dollars or so.

Skiers and downhill mountain bikers tend to have some money to throw around on their vacations; the "beer joint along a highway" you mention has rooms available that go for $600-$900 and change on certain weekends.

That they're so cool to hikers is pretty remarkable. I imagine that's why Jack says "considering its location."

Panzer1
08-11-2009, 23:48

We went to the Long Trail Inn on Thursday night, it cost $79 plus tax which included 2 large and very good breakfasts in a beautiful dining room. (plus tips)
The place whole was beautiful, also bought their t-shirt which cost another $15.

Also the late night menu in the bar is not as expensive as the dinning room menu. Same things cost less.

Panzer
(we would go back again)

Panzer1
08-11-2009, 23:53

Panzer

Panzer1
08-12-2009, 00:07
They met on the trail, now they're in love.
Free Fall and Johnny Thunder

Panzer

trailangelmary
08-12-2009, 02:15
They met on the trail, now they're in love.
Free Fall and Johnny Thunder

Panzer

Awesome. Thanks for sharing Panzer. Sounds like you had a great time.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2009, 19:11
Thanx Panzer for injecting some common sense to this thread.

The Inn at Long Trail is not a "beer joint on a highway." It is, instead, a very comfortable, and very friendly country inn that has been in business for decades, and has been extraordinarily welcoming to hikers, skiiers,and other outdoorspeople. Oh, yes, it also sells beer in its wonderful tap room, one of the nicest places to be found on or near the Trail.

Honestly, I don't know if some of the comments here are just intentionally mean-spirited, or are just plain ignorant.

Some of both, I suspect.

Sly
08-12-2009, 19:23
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's location is across the street from Killington & Pico, where a season pass for skiing will run you a thousand dollars or so.

Skiers and downhill mountain bikers tend to have some money to throw around on their vacations; the "beer joint along a highway" you mention has rooms available that go for $600-$900 and change on certain weekends.

That they're so cool to hikers is pretty remarkable. I imagine that's why Jack says "considering its location."

Hiker season isn't all that expensive if you have a few to share the room.

http://www.innatlongtrail.com/

Check out the quote by Vonfrick and Warraghy.

Panzer1
08-12-2009, 20:51
On saturday night while the band "Gelatin Offramp" was playing, this young man got down on one knee and proposed to this lucky girl. He put a ring on her finger while everyone watched. We don't know who he is. This picture was taken just seconds later.

Panzer

Jester2000
08-13-2009, 10:51
Hiker season isn't all that expensive if you have a few to share the room.

http://www.innatlongtrail.com/

Check out the quote by Vonfrick and Warraghy.

You're right. I stayed there when I was hiking and shared the double room with the shared bathroom and it was quite reasonable. But that's during hiker season, and I suspect it's mainly because they're friendly to hikers.

You can check out their rates to see what they charge during the height of skiing season on their website.

Blue Jay
08-13-2009, 14:52
On saturday night while the band "Gelatin Offramp" was playing, this young man got down on one knee and proposed to this lucky girl. He put a ring on her finger while everyone watched. We don't know who he is. This picture was taken just seconds later.

Panzer

Leif and Lady also got engaged. It was on the trail just south of Rutland, so don't worry single guys, Rutland is still safe.