PDA

View Full Version : Montrail Hardrocks: 08 or 09?

Creaky
07-24-2009, 14:22
I've been wearing Hardrocks for a few years and it's time for a new pair. Any insight from users about whether I should stick with one of the remaining '08 models available or go with the new '09s? It looks as if there have been significant changes.

Many thanks.

trippclark
07-24-2009, 14:24
I have no first hand knowledge of either, but have heard and read that the 09 model is of much lower quality.

trippclark
07-24-2009, 14:30
I have no first hand knowledge of either, but have heard and read that the 09 model is of much lower quality.

One such post
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=282907

Phreak
07-24-2009, 14:31
I wore Montrails for years but gave 'em up a couple of years ago when they drastically changed the shoe. I switched over to Salomons.

wilconow
07-24-2009, 14:54
I wore Montrails for years but gave 'em up a couple of years ago when they drastically changed the shoe. I switched over to Salomons.

Yeah, just look at the reviews on Zappos. Especially the last one from Dan in Reading.
http://outdoor.zappos.com/n/p/dp/51740513/c/180935.html

Don't mean to thread hi-jack, but which Salomons?

I have the Montrail 08s..they're okay but not so sure about durability. I think they're better than the initial Columbia design. Since the 09s look so bad, I've been checking around for a new one. Anyone have these?

http://www.altrec.com/merrell-shoes/mens-cruise-control-trail-running-shoe

What it says about Motion control sounds nice..

Summit
07-24-2009, 15:07
I recently bought a pair of Hardrock '08s. I'm not particularly impressed. They aren't bad but they're nothing special. Wore them on last hike and now I'm wearing them out walking the pavement at home. Will probably go back to my Merrell Moab Ventilators for my upcoming fall week hike.

Phreak
07-24-2009, 15:21
Yeah, just look at the reviews on Zappos. Especially the last one from Dan in Reading.
http://outdoor.zappos.com/n/p/dp/51740513/c/180935.html

Don't mean to thread hi-jack, but which Salomons?

I have the Montrail 08s..they're okay but not so sure about durability. I think they're better than the initial Columbia design. Since the 09s look so bad, I've been checking around for a new one. Anyone have these?

http://www.altrec.com/merrell-shoes/mens-cruise-control-trail-running-shoe

What it says about Motion control sounds nice..
XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX

Bidwell
07-24-2009, 17:24
From a Montrail rep in regards to the new 2009 Hardrock: "Well, as you can see, we changed them completely from the Hardrock '08 and previous models. There was actually debate as to whether we change the name. We didn't and I think that is okay due to where the shoes sits in our line as a whole. The goal with the Hardrock '09 was to make the shoe lighter, faster, stronger, and more stable than previous versions and we have done that on all levels. The shoe weighs just 11.8 oz. (size 9) which is lighter than the previous version. Stability-wise, your foot sits down in the midsole, closer to the trail, utilizing a technology we call 'Perimeter' where your foot is literally cradled by the midsole on all sides. This is very noticeable on the trail when making quick direction changes and in un-even terrain. The shoe is posted medially, which is hard to tell from the pictures, for those who pronate and need extra support in that way. From a protective standpoint, we use something called 'Trailshield' which is a protective plate incorporated into the midsole that is composed of non-expanded EVA. This material is much lighter than the PU plates we have used in the past and still offers a ton of protection. The positioning of the Trailshield within the shoe also has a part in creating the flex and torsional characteristics that make this shoe what it is. As you can tell, there is allot going on with these shoes in a lighter and more stable package than previous models. I hope all this info helps and I hope folks get them on the trails soon!"

Have you checked out the Brooks Cascadia? I swear by them... I do most of my trail-running and all of my hiking/backpacking in those shoes.

Summit
07-24-2009, 17:45
Have you checked out the Brooks Cascadia? I swear by them... I do most of my trail-running and all of my hiking/backpacking in those shoes.Not wild about the glow-in-the-dark neon yellow, but during my 17 years as an avid distance runner, I wore Brooks almost exclusively. May have to try these . . . hmmm. Would have to put them in a stuff sack to get some sleep though! :eek: :p

Mags
07-24-2009, 18:08
Rumor has it that Montrail (Columbia!) is coming out with a Hardrock Classic (for lack of a better name).

I talked to some Montrail reps at a fest here in Boulder. They said many people curse them. :)

I wore the 2008s and was generally pleased with them. But, as other said, the pre-Columbia shoes are better.

mudhead
07-24-2009, 18:17
I think I saw some of those on Sierra TP today. $59? FWIW

Jester2000
07-24-2009, 18:20
I have received so many emails and phone calls at my store from people looking for "pre-Columbia" Hardrocks that it's ridiculous. The '09 model represents a significant enough design change that the company considered renaming the shoe, and perhaps that is what they should have done (as the current situation invites comparison to the previous design).

A few points.

I suspect that what some people feel is a lessening in quality for the '09 model is actually an intentional change in direction for Montrail, not in quality, but in the purpose of the shoe. It's now lighter and has less cushioning, which may make it better for competitive trail running (which, after all, is the shoe's category), but makes it less useful for backpackers.

There also seems to me to be a perception about Montrail that revolves around its acquisition by Columbia. I've read reviews of the Spring '08 model that referred to it as "pre-Columbia," suggesting that anything that came after Spring '08 was bad. I've had people call my store looking for the '07 model because "that was before Columbia ruined the shoe." Running Warehouse's reviewers gave the '06 model 3.7 out of 5 stars, which is hardly stellar, and in a negative review the '06 model was referred to as "the first batch by Columbia."

Some folks like Phreak gave up on the shoe "a couple of years ago" when they "drastically changed the shoe."

Here's my understanding of the timeline for the shoe (correct me if I'm wrong on any of this):

Spring 2005: Montrail intoduces the Hardrock. It wins an award in Outside Magazine

January 2006: Columbia acquires Montrail

Spring 2009: Montrail redesigns the Hardrock. It wins an award from Backpacker Magazine

So here's the question: seeing as I've read bad reviews of every Hardrock since Spring '06 (which would have been the first batch released by Columbia but could not have been the first batch designed by them, as they acquired the company in January), and all of them mention how Columbia ruined the shoe, what the hell is actually going on?

I have folks calling me wanting '07s, 'cause those were the good ones before Columbia. I have folks that want the '08s, 'cause THOSE were the good ones before Columbia.

The '09 model seem like a shoe that would not be good for what most on this site would like to use them for (but keep in mind that that's not what they're designed for). All the rest of it, as far as I can tell, is perception based on the belief that Columbia must have screwed with them at some point. The problem is that no one seems to be able to agree on when that might have been.

From a personal point of view, I wore '07 closeouts last year on the PCT and they worked well for me. But not everyone has my feet, which is a good thing, as it would make a lot of the women pretty funny looking.

Creaky
07-25-2009, 11:38
Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll stay away from the '09s, though they may be terrific trail runners.

Maybe it's time to try something altogether different. I've heard good things about the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultras. (My Brit friends all seem to be wearing Inov8s.)

Summit
07-25-2009, 12:48
I think I saw some of those on Sierra TP today. $59? FWIWLink please . . . couldn't find them?

Strategic
07-25-2009, 13:22
I wear the Hardrock Mid-GTX '08s and love them. Just did the PA section into DWG and they handled the rocks just fine, with minimal damage. The '09s don't really look that different, so I'd say they probably will work well for me. Montrail is one of the few makers still producing a good mid-rise trail shoe at a light weight (12.6oz for the '09 Mid-GTXs.) If you need ankle support at all, there's really no substitute.

wannahike
07-25-2009, 16:41
I was in Marshalls today and they had the womens Hardrocks on sale for 39.99. Might not hurt to call about the mens. I have no clue as to which year.

mudhead
07-25-2009, 17:02
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Montrail.html?GCID=S15899x003&KEYWORD=montrail%20shoes&cm_mmc_o=VzbpVkzgwFwEfCjC7BBTkwCjC87R7xCjCmzMw%20B E%204BEfyzbk%20dBBfcwzy

Men's & ladies. Didn't check sizes, but there's ya link. Lancelot...

Singletrack
07-25-2009, 17:26
I wore the soles out on a pair of '09 Montrail Hardrocks in 265 miles of AT hiking, in June. Although they are very comfy, not worth the price because of the soles are easily worn out. I am trying the Montrail S'presso's now. Built on the Hardrock Last, but with a better looking sole, for hiking. I will post how they wear, when I put a couple hundred miles, in August.

CrumbSnatcher
07-25-2009, 17:31
its funny reading this! i hike in chaco sandels and the new chacos are not as good as the old ones with the vibram soles. i had all my sandals resoled with the vibram soles this spring.but they can only resole the older ones as long as they still have material stocked up. even the rep. i talked to in colorado, said the new sandels are more college campus now instead of performance. the old vibram soles were softer and had awesome grip! but most people don't buy sandels for hiking and the rep. said they wore out too fast from being softer and they left marks. they gotta go where the money is i guess?

Old Grouse
07-25-2009, 19:53
(My Brit friends all seem to be wearing Inov8s.)[/quote]

I've about worn out a pair of Inov8s and plan on buying another pair. I haven't found anything lighter or more comfortable for daily wear. However, their soles are quite flexible; thus, not so great on rocky trails in my opinion. For that I wear Hardrocks. Also, the agressive sole of the Inov8 picks up and holds small pebbles.

Wags
07-25-2009, 23:41
i wear 08 hardrocks quite often. i like them for PA. they offer a good bit of sole protection and breath well enough to hike dry in a few hours. i haven't had any durability issues yet, but i've only put about 250 miles on mine. for what it's worth, i had to buy these a full size larger than normal, as they ran small. i got em for less than $30 online somewhere

Chaco Taco
07-26-2009, 19:32
I got some in Manchester Center and got to Monson in the 07's. I dont think they are made for the type of terrain for the Whites and such, however, with the nice terrain in the south, Id get a new pair for down here. Need something a bit more sturdy for the New Englands

Teatime
08-09-2009, 19:51
Bought a pair of 08' Hardrocks for my wife, my son and myself. Wore them on our 3-day trip on the Bowen-Baker Loop in the Never Summer Wildnerness. I have to say, they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had on my feet. Both my wife and son loved them as well. Did I mention it was my wife's 1st backpacking trip? She handled it all like a pro and is now hooked and ready to go again!

hbower
08-10-2009, 21:07
I haven't tried 08 or 09 Hardrocks. I bought several pair on sale in 06 and still on 1st pair, almost worn out though. Got the on sale at REI and i've thought of taking the 1st pair back as the left one is coming apart at the top left ankle, but I don't know what they would replace them with.
The old ones held up very well, I just have to go up a 1/2 size larger than my reg size.

StubbleJumper
08-11-2009, 01:38
I bought a pair of 2009 Hardrocks, and I have not fallen in love with them. I've used them for perhaps 150 miles, and they have already started showing significant wear on the sidewalls, and the soles have begun separating very slightly. Now, I should also note that this year is probably the hardest year that I've seen on shoes. I don't think that I've had a dry hike yet this summer, and wet hiking really tends to thrash shoes badly.

The good news is that I can barely see the ridiculous yellow colour any more due to a good crust of mud...

I'll probably be buying New Balance for my next pair.

Jester2000
08-11-2009, 11:23
I haven't tried 08 or 09 Hardrocks. I bought several pair on sale in 06 and still on 1st pair, almost worn out though. Got the on sale at REI and i've thought of taking the 1st pair back as the left one is coming apart at the top left ankle, but I don't know what they would replace them with.
The old ones held up very well, I just have to go up a 1/2 size larger than my reg size.

Maybe I misunderstood this. Are you saying you've considered returning a 3 year old pair of shoes?