PDA

View Full Version : Roaring Brook Road

Donnie
07-24-2009, 23:49
One quick inquiry before I make the trip to Maine for my SOBO thru attempt:
Does anyone know whether Roaring Brook Road from Milinocket to Roaring Brook Campground is easily travelled by a car or is a high-clearance vehicle recommended?
I have already consulted the maps and would assume everything to be fine but I thought I would check in with the folks of Whiteblaze to ease my mind in these last few days.

Thanks,
Donnie

Shutterbug
07-25-2009, 00:15
One quick inquiry before I make the trip to Maine for my SOBO thru attempt:
Does anyone know whether Roaring Brook Road from Milinocket to Roaring Brook Campground is easily travelled by a car or is a high-clearance vehicle recommended?
I have already consulted the maps and would assume everything to be fine but I thought I would check in with the folks of Whiteblaze to ease my mind in these last few days.

Thanks,
Donnie

It is a well-maintained gravel road. No high-clearance vehicle is required. Assuming that you will be renting a vehicle when you get to Maine, request one with Maine license plates. The entry fee to Baxter State Park is less for vehicles with Maine licnese plates.

mere533
07-25-2009, 02:06
the park will say high clearance but its not. we did it with 6" clearance in a volvo

boarstone
07-25-2009, 07:27
We've had extensive rain here all week, expect dirt roads to have potholes of varying sizes and conditions. Be aware of washed away roadsides, especially around culvert areas where they cross the roads. Maintenance will be slow if at all. Trees have satuarated ground and many are shallow rooted and subject to falls/blowdowns. Be aware while hiking and making camp as even a slight wind can cause them to fall.

mudhead
07-25-2009, 17:13
From Millinocket to the park is paved. Couple odd turns and moose. No NASCAR.

The park maintains the gravel road, it is primo by Maine standards. Some spots are close to one lane. Oncoming traffic and moose. No NASCAR.

Bring sun.

peakbagger
07-26-2009, 06:09
I have driven my Honda Civic on that road many times. The biggest issue is that you need to drive slow and a lot of folks dont figure that out until they rip a wheel off in a pothole.

Donnie
07-26-2009, 11:56
Coming from an area where you have to "turn off the paved road" to get to many places, I think I should have no problems getting to the trail head. Thanks for all of the responses. As for bringing sunshine, I am still working on that one...

-Donnie