PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight inflatible pad wanted

Pooja Blue
07-14-2004, 02:57
Can anyone recommend an ultralight inflatible pad, under a pound? I only need padding from my shoulders to my hips, so a short pad would be great.

I have fibromyalgia so laying on hard surfaces is painful. I'd been thruhiking with a shortened Z-rest, but since I've been home (waiting for a hurt foot to heal before I get back on) I've come to realize how poorly I had been sleeping on the trail, which definitely affects my hiking. Now I'm looking for a pad with a little more cushion. So far the best I've found is a Thermarest Prolite short, at 13 oz. Any input welcome.... thanks.

slatchley
07-14-2004, 06:38
Check this out!
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/torsolite_inflatable_sleeping_pad.html

hiker dude
07-14-2004, 11:21
Same thing here, my arm was falling asleep, not so with the same thermarest your talking about. But your going to have to watch out and be carefull. Reminds me, don't forget to order a thermarest patch kit to carry like we all learn to do. They weigh nothing and you can fix it in the field if you get a leak, but just remember to use up all the wrong color patches in the kits to save money to.

TREE-HUGGER
07-14-2004, 11:38
I think you have the best you can get. It is my pick also. I suffer with fibromyalgia also and have spent the last four years finally getting it under control. I have been experimenting with the big agnes insulated air core pad. It's 21 oz but as I have learned my sleep is the most crucial piece to my physical puzzle and I am more and more willing to spend the money and carry a little more weight to help my sleeping quality whatever it takes. My pack is at 13.5 pounds for 15 degrees and it has made all of the difference.

DavidR
07-14-2004, 21:26
Check this out!
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/torsolite_inflatable_sleeping_pad.html
I use the torso light pad metioned earlier in combination with the night light pad from Gossamer Gear.
http://www.gossamergear.com/
This combination weighs 13 oz and is ~2 inches thick. I just got the torso light so I haven't had any time to try it out but if you don't like the Z-Rest by itself you may not like the Torso light pad by itself either. It is a little thinner then my Thermarest ultralight pad (old style).
Hope this helps.

slatchley
07-14-2004, 22:40
Hey, that sounds like a nice combo. Backpacking Light did a comparison of the old ultralite 3/4 and the new prolite short and they felt the old one was better. Their own Torsolite has a higher r value with the same 1" thickness so I got one of them, but being 57 I can use all the thickness I can get, so the night lite/torsolite combo sounds like a good solution

Crazy_Al
09-13-2004, 21:49
I used the Thermarest Z-Lite 3/4 length recently, and I will never use it again. It feels like sleeping on a concrete floor.

I ordered a Big Agnes Air Core Mummy (2.5 inched thick).
It is better to carry more weight than to sleep poorly at night.

tlbj6142
09-13-2004, 23:09
Note the Prolite 3 short is really short. Only 48".

I can't think of the name now, but isn't there a synthetically filled air matress on the market now that weighs just a tad over a pound?

TDale
09-14-2004, 08:53
Insul-mat makes a full-length mummy air pad that weighs 18 oz.
http://www.rei.com/product/47776428.htm?

tlbj6142
09-14-2004, 09:22
I think that's the one. All I could remember was the company started with a "P".

rustyb
09-15-2004, 10:49
DavidR,

Have you experienced any problems with the Night Light pad from Gossamer Gear?

I have the Mt Washington pad and while I was very impressed with it initially, the top of the egg crate patterens started to compress after only a half dozen uses. The result is a noticable loss in comfort.

r

pokohiker
09-15-2004, 11:20
I recently purchased a Thermarest Prolite 4, 3/4 length. It's considered a 4 season but I bought it because it's 1 1/2" thick. The dimensions are: 20 x 47" and only weighs 1 lb. 1 oz. I have not used it other than trying it out on a hardwood floor. I'm leaving for a three week hike next week so i'll let you know how it performs when I get home.

Nightwalker
09-15-2004, 12:02
Same thing here, my arm was falling asleep, not so with the same thermarest your talking about. But your going to have to watch out and be carefull. Reminds me, don't forget to order a thermarest patch kit to carry like we all learn to do. They weigh nothing and you can fix it in the field if you get a leak, but just remember to use up all the wrong color patches in the kits to save money to.
I've slept LOTS of nights on a 3/4 Thermarest Standard. Zero problems, zero leaks.

DavidR
11-03-2004, 22:32
DavidR,

Have you experienced any problems with the Night Light pad from Gossamer Gear?

I have the Mt Washington pad and while I was very impressed with it initially, the top of the egg crate patterens started to compress after only a half dozen uses. The result is a noticable loss in comfort.

r
I can't say that I have used this pad enough for it to be compressed. The good thing is that if does start to compress I can pick up another inexpensively.

grrickar
11-04-2004, 01:15
I have a Thermarest Prolite 3, and recently used it on a 10 day section hike. It was comfortable, seemed to be as well made as previous Thermarest products, but their non-slip surface claims were dubious in my experience. I have a MSR Hubba tent, and the floor is silnylon. I camped on a slight incline one night on Max Patch, and I would wake up and find the pad had either slid to the end of the tent, or slid completely out from under me. I think my old Thermarest trail stayed put better than the Prolite.

Kerosene
11-04-2004, 09:44
At this point, I would go with the Thermarest Prolite 3s (13 oz., 1" thick, good for 3-season use, torso length) or with a pad from Bozeman Mountain Works called the TorsoLite (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/torsolite_inflatable_sleeping_pad.html) (10 oz., 1" thick, 3-season R-value of 3.5, covers from shoulders to hips).

DavidR
11-04-2004, 21:02
At this point, I would go with the Thermarest Prolite 3s (13 oz., 1" thick, good for 3-season use, torso length) or with a pad from Bozeman Mountain Works called the TorsoLite (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/torsolite_inflatable_sleeping_pad.html) (10 oz., 1" thick, 3-season R-value of 3.5, covers from shoulders to hips).
I use a Torsolight pad with my Night Light as I mentioned previously. I really like this combination, it is fairly soft and keeps me warm. I guess this winter will be the real test though.