PDA

View Full Version : Shower at Walasi-Yi question

STICK
07-25-2009, 16:38
This may be a silly question, but one I gotta ask....

For those of you that have showered at Walasi-Yi.....
My gf and I are planning a 9 day hike in September beginning at Amicalola State Park in GA. We are planning on stopping at Walasi-Yi to clean our clothes, restock our food, and of course, shower!!
So, I am thinking that I will get some of the little travel size shampoo and body soap before we go, but what about towels? Do they rent out towels to dry with when you use the shower, or do I use the pack towel that I will be carrying? And since Im on that note, is there soap and shampoo that we can purchase there instead of carrying that too?

Thanks for any help!!

Survivor Dave
07-25-2009, 17:03
This may be a silly question, but one I gotta ask....

For those of you that have showered at Walasi-Yi.....
My gf and I are planning a 9 day hike in September beginning at Amicalola State Park in GA. We are planning on stopping at Walasi-Yi to clean our clothes, restock our food, and of course, shower!!
So, I am thinking that I will get some of the little travel size shampoo and body soap before we go, but what about towels? Do they rent out towels to dry with when you use the shower, or do I use the pack towel that I will be carrying? And since Im on that note, is there soap and shampoo that we can purchase there instead of carrying that too?

Thanks for any help!!

Yes, all of that is available. I think that the fee for a shower and a towel is $3 or $3.50/pp if you don't stay at the hostel. Sometimes they have extra soap and shampoo bottles in the bathrooms that folks leave behind. I think it is included if you stay. They are a full service gear shop and re-supply.
I think that laundry is $3 per load and do believe that soap might be included, but not positively sure.
Call them at 706-745-6095 to make sure.

STICK
07-25-2009, 20:11
Cool, thanks! Ill give them a call and check it out! Appreciate it!

kayak karl
07-25-2009, 20:19
where is Walasi-Yi? is it neel gap or near neel gap? is it where Pirate is? sorry for the stupid question.:confused:

SunnyWalker
07-25-2009, 20:26
Neel gap. Righ there at Neel gap.

MoBill122
07-26-2009, 22:11
Yes...thats the place Pirate is at.

Blissful
07-26-2009, 22:20
Can't miss it, the trail goes right through it.

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2009, 11:26
It should be noted that folks visiting Neel Gap can very easily receive and send out mail there, so folks who feel the need can have personal care items waiting there for them.

The staff here bends over backwards to help out hikers; anyone having questions about the facility, the services they offer, or what they may have available for hikers to use or purchase should simply give them a call; they'll be happy to answer all of your questions.

Chif
07-27-2009, 11:58
Is there a restaurant or grill there as well?

Survivor Dave
07-27-2009, 11:59
Is there a restaurant or grill there as well?

No, but they have hot dogs, frozen pizza and burgers. The closest restaurants would be in Blairsville or Dahlonega.

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2009, 12:03
Chif:

Dave is correct. However, for those needing a restaurant run (or other shopping), there is almost always a "town run" shuttle for hikers, at a very reasonable cost.