PDA

View Full Version : Class in planning

David@whiteblaze
07-25-2009, 18:57
this is my thread for anyone who doesnt have an exact year except like a range of 4-10 years from now.

David@whiteblaze
07-25-2009, 21:13
so, if anyone has anything to say about their upcoming thru-hike like, say, iplan to spend 5 grand on gear and all my friens think im crazy or am going to get ate up by a mountain lion or something like that.

slickgoku
08-06-2009, 13:25
Don't pet the mountain lion, whatever you do!

Seriously though, I do plan on hiking the AT, it will likely be in 4-10 years but if everything aligns just right I hope to do it in 2011.

CowHead
08-06-2009, 13:58
my hopefully will be in the next 10 years

ShelterLeopard
08-06-2009, 15:29
You plan to spend 5,000 on gear alone? As in, only gear? Not trail money and food? That's insane. (Of course, if I HAD 5,000 to spend solely on gear, I might)

Feral Bill
08-06-2009, 15:38
I'm in for that timeframe. I need to kick the working habit first. No expenses for gear, I already have plenty. If I leave early enough NOBO, i should get to meet every single thruer that year, as they pass me plodding along at my sedated tortoise pace.

Ladytrekker
08-06-2009, 16:31
I retire in 8 years and am planning it then, (hoping that my health holds up) meantime I am going to do some sections starting next year. I have my gear I hike in Florida, but am sure will need some replacements by then. But I figure that gear will be a work in progress and an ever changing process. I have found that I do not need the best except my neoair I like comfortable sleeping, but use alcohol stove, etc.

In the meantime I read and try to interact alot to feed my AT obcession. I am definitely not in a position to quit work yet.

I like this thread though we can trade thoughts long distance

Deadeye
08-06-2009, 18:14
I'll retire in late summer 2018. I'll re-hike the LT in the fall, and head for Springer in March 2019. I'm hoping time flies!

Deadeye
08-06-2009, 18:17
iplan to spend 5 grand on gear and all my friens think im crazy or am going to get ate up by a mountain lion or something like that.

$5 grand on gear? You must be gettin' Cadillac stuff, kid.

And it's your friends that are crazy - they'll get ate up by desk jockeys and regret not having gone hiking with you.

David@whiteblaze
09-05-2009, 20:46
You plan to spend 5,000 on gear alone? As in, only gear? Not trail money and food? That's insane. (Of course, if I HAD 5,000 to spend solely on gear, I might)

$5 grand on gear? You must be gettin' Cadillac stuff, kid.

And it's your friends that are crazy - they'll get ate up by desk jockeys and regret not having gone hiking with you.
hahahaha, you guys read too close, i meant gear and food and spending money, as i get closer ill have a range. im planning on staying around maine a few weeks so whenever my family takes a vacation, ill meet up w/ them, until then, ill just chill, hopefully find some nice dude w/ 20 or so acres thatll let me hang there (in the woods that is). im hoping for $100 per town for emergencies or whatever and a mail drop for each town holding $100 and food.

ShelterLeopard
09-05-2009, 23:04
If I were you, I'd keep about $400 at least (or an ATM card) in your pack, because $100 isn't enough for emergencies (I don't know if you meant you'll only have $100 on you), especially because people miss mail drops or the post office screws up sometimes. But don't keep your money in an obvious place. Sew it into the inside of your pack, maybe.

DapperD
09-05-2009, 23:43
If I were you, I'd keep about $400 at least (or an ATM card) in your pack, because $100 isn't enough for emergencies (I don't know if you meant you'll only have $100 on you), especially because people miss mail drops or the post office screws up sometimes. But don't keep your money in an obvious place. Sew it into the inside of your pack, maybe.From what I have read and learned, you do not want to keep your funds, license/I.D., credit/debit card,cell phone, etc...in or integrated into your pack due to the fact that one can become seperated from their pack, and then all would be gone. It is best to keep these items either in a small waist pouch, or a wallet. This way if one became seperated from ones pack for whatever reason, these items would still be retained.

David@whiteblaze
09-05-2009, 23:48
Yes... We have a winner here I would keep around 400 on me plus a 50 lifesaver wallet if I get mugged

emeggke
09-06-2009, 00:05
Hi, We are planning on thru-hiking in 2016 when our youngest graduates from school. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
Meg

TheKO
09-06-2009, 09:59
I am fully retired in 2013 and will be departing Springer on Mar 1, 2014 with my dog Rocco (I haven't told him yet!)

Gray Blazer
09-06-2009, 11:36
That's why I can never be considered a real hiker. I haven't even spent a thousand on my gear, althoug I did spend $225 for a new tent. Maybe there is hope for me.

Lyle
09-06-2009, 12:09
Loose plan now is to complete my section hike of the AT within the next 4 years, before I semi-retire. Once I semi-retire, I'll hike the CT in fall, start the PCT the following spring.

CDT is a possibility after that.

Ladytrekker
09-06-2009, 13:04
I have spent time on getting my gear together and I have purchased good gear and I think I may have spent $1,000. I hope your 5 includes drops, food,hotels, shuttles and air fare, because thats extreme.

David@whiteblaze
09-07-2009, 00:38
I have spent time on getting my gear together and I have purchased good gear and I think I may have spent $1,000. I hope your 5 includes drops, food,hotels, shuttles and air fare, because thats extreme.

Of course it does it's sorta a vague figure I'll stockpile gear and cash and when I get the cash I'll buy food and log off for five months

okyougotme
11-21-2009, 14:42
I'm planning on retirement in in 2014. I hope to thru hike that Spring. It seems far away, tho. I'm gonna get some good equipment in the next few years, but don't plan on "lodging" expenses on the trail. I really would like to spend all my nights in a hammock on the trail...but I'm still in the planning stage. It seems that half the fun will be planning/anticipating the trip!

Bags4266
11-21-2009, 14:55
18 months to go for retirement here. I will still need to section hike 300 mile clips though. Can't be away from the wife or house that long.

MinaSauk
11-25-2009, 00:39
Hi! My first post.

I've been wanting to do the AT for a long time now. But haven't seriously thought much towards making it a reality. My 14 y/o said she would like to go with me! But, that will make it have to be after HS, which would be 2013. So with that in mind, I may give it some more thorough thought and begin to make tentative plans.

I told her we needed to at least get out locally and do some hikes/camping to see how that goes. She's already camped with her dad and has her own tent/hammock.

As for Nobo/Sobo, I don't know. I sort of lean towards the Sobo. But since it's a longs ways off I won't worry.

LuAnn

David@whiteblaze
11-27-2009, 18:26
I'm planning on retirement in in 2014. I hope to thru hike that Spring. It seems far away, tho. I'm gonna get some good equipment in the next few years, but don't plan on "lodging" expenses on the trail. I really would like to spend all my nights in a hammock on the trail...but I'm still in the planning stage. It seems that half the fun will be planning/anticipating the trip!
I think ur right... but only half the fun...:D oh, and btw... :welcome:welcome:welcome

Dobie Swift
11-29-2009, 21:25
Ok, so I want the award for the most advanced planning... I will be fully retired on December 31st, 2023. I have promised my dear wife an cruise sometime during January 2024. After losing my "cruise weight" during February 2024, I will leave Springer on March 1st, 2024.

CrumbSnatcher
11-29-2009, 21:27
count me in, can't wait to thruhike with my daughter(2 years old right now) or my yo-yo?

David@whiteblaze
11-30-2009, 19:17
Ok, so I want the award for the most advanced planning... I will be fully retired on December 31st, 2023. I have promised my dear wife an cruise sometime during January 2024. After losing my "cruise weight" during February 2024, I will leave Springer on March 1st, 2024.
you win... I planned that by 2023, i'll be out of college...

jelina
07-16-2011, 06:13
you guys read too close, i meant gear and food and spending money, as i get closer ill have a range. im planning on staying around maine a few weeks so whenever my family takes a vacation, I have my gear I hike in Florida, but am sure will need some replacements by then. But I figure that gear will be a work in progress and an ever changing process. I have found that I do not need the best except my neoair I like comfortable sleeping, but use alcohol stove, etc.