PDA

View Full Version : Please don't trash the trail

saimyoji
07-25-2009, 20:13
i know we've had these threads before, but i just want to issue a friendly request to anyone who may stumble across this......pack your trash out with you. its really disgusting to come across some lazy butthead's trash pile.

thank you.

:)

Summit
07-25-2009, 20:20
I agree completely, but I think the kind of people who "trash the trail" are not likely to be WB members or visitors. An occasional reminder doesn't hurt though . . .

Gray Blazer
07-25-2009, 20:23
I think the people on this site would be aware of that.

There seems to be a lot of buttheads who do leave their trash. The people who leave their extra stuff in a shelter because they don't feel like carrying it any more bug me too.

Rain Man
07-25-2009, 22:07
i know we've had these threads before, but i just want to issue a friendly request to anyone who may stumble across this......pack your trash out with you.

I'll go one step further and say pack out some (if not all) of other people's trash. Leave the trail better than you found it, in other words.

Rain:sunMan

saimyoji
07-25-2009, 22:11
I agree completely, but I think the kind of people who "trash the trail" are not likely to be WB members or visitors. An occasional reminder doesn't hurt though . . .

yep. but i don't wanna take the pressure off the aholes that trash

saimyoji
07-25-2009, 22:13
yep. but i don't wanna take the pressure off the aholes that trash

oops.:o

what i meant to say was i don't wanna take the pressure of those who would trash the trail. sure, packing out trash you find along the way is important (good to make a contest out of it....whoever brings out the most gets a prize).....i don't want trashers to think that if they throw their crap on the trail, someone else will pick it up for them.....like teenagers.....hhhhmmmmm :-?

Homer&Marje
07-25-2009, 22:16
I was very disappointed up at Liberty Springs Tentsite when I found a giant tarp sized piece of 3 mil plastic crumpled up under a branch off to the side of the camp site. (about 3 pounds worth wet) I was brushing my teeth on the way out to go over Franconia Ridge when I found it, and normally I would have either packed out some or alerted the Caretaker, neither of which I had time for.

Maybe that sounds selfish, but Marje's knees had enough trouble with her 10 hour day as it was and I needed to get a move on...Not to mention I had extra weight to reduce her pack over the ridge and had little to no room for 3 lbs of plastic.

Although with the amount of large groups and kids at that sight (due to availability I'm sure) I was not surprised.

Tent site 4 back into the "peeing" trail if anyone gets a chance to get a piece of it. Sorry I could not, I picked up all other small surrounding trash that I could though.

saimyoji
07-25-2009, 22:22
well....some things you can pack out...but other things you just cannot, because that's not what you planned to do that day...like if i head out on a 12 mile day hike, i'm not equipped to pick up 24 empty beer cans, or a trashed tent (tarp) or wet, musty blankets......you get the point.

Ron Haven
07-25-2009, 22:34
i know we've had these threads before, but i just want to issue a friendly request to anyone who may stumble across this......pack your trash out with you. its really disgusting to come across some lazy butthead's trash pile.

thank you.

:)Saim,I sure agree with you and everyone here in every way.Hikers have more respect for our recreation area than to trash it.As mad as they make us when they don't respect it.They are a part of me that feels sad for those people for they are loosers in life and they are to blame for their own loss.:o

Homer&Marje
07-25-2009, 23:30
Anyone leave behind their 4 person tent and 2 person Sleeping bag in between Garfield and Franconia Ridge? I was not prepared to pack that out either.

sasquatch2014
07-26-2009, 00:49
I have resigned myself to the fact that uninitiated tend to leave trash but today I found an empty box and bunch of plastic bags at the parking area off Rt 52 in NY. It was a mail drop box. If you have enough knowledge to send a mail drop to yourself you know enough to pack your crap out.

Tin Man
07-26-2009, 03:34
Anyone leave behind their 4 person tent and 2 person Sleeping bag in between Garfield and Franconia Ridge? I was not prepared to pack that out either.

I saw that too. I just shook my head as I walked on by. Rather than pack out some butthead's trash, it might solve the issue if we just packed out the buttheads. :)

Homer&Marje
07-26-2009, 07:32
I wish you had seen the French Canadian Guy hiking up Lafayette SoBo with his family.

Family had 0 gear and a lot of bad looks on their face. Dad had a HUGE orange 1960ish outer frame pack and loaded to the gills.

He was NOT a happy camper:D Wonder if he dropped em:-?

Peaks
07-26-2009, 07:37

If that's the tent and sleeping bag that I'm thinking about, the US Forest Ranger told me about it while I was volunteering on the Ridge over July 4 weekend, and has plans to go back up there and pack it out.

Homer&Marje
07-26-2009, 07:54
If that's the tent and sleeping bag that I'm thinking about, the US Forest Ranger told me about it while I was volunteering on the Ridge over July 4 weekend, and has plans to go back up there and pack it out.

Well together they weigh about 20 lbs, due to being soaking wet...I actually considered taking the tent...Could not bring myself to do it.

I wanted to strip it for parts:D

Jaybird
07-26-2009, 08:06
i know we've had these threads before, but i just want to issue a friendly request to anyone who may stumble across this......pack your trash out with you. its really disgusting to come across some lazy butthead's trash pile.thank you. :)

I usually call my "TRASH PILE"....my TENT! hehehehehe:D

Skyline
07-26-2009, 08:55
. . . The people who leave their extra stuff in a shelter because they don't feel like carrying it any more bug me too.

Oh, but don't you know their real reason is that they leave that gear for future hikers who will come along and need that stuff. They're humanitarians, and do it all out of love. :rolleyes:

How many of us don't know lots of hikers who need a 10-lb. sack of oatmeal? A 12# 4-person car camping tent? Four pairs of wet, heavy blue jeans? :eek:

The most ridiculous "present" I ever had to pack out of the shelter we maintain was a 9-ft. diameter wading pool that I found not 20 feet from the shelter fully inflated, and filled with water. With a big inflated orange beach ball floating in it, along with lots of other crap that had been dumped in it. Getting all that water in it from the spring must have been a chore, so whoever did it was athletically inclined enough to deflate it and pack it out IMHO. Not a fun day for a shelter maintainer. :mad:

weary
07-26-2009, 11:33
If the trail name "Weary" hadn't stuck, "Garbageman" would have been an appropriate substitute. I can't stand to see trash laying around. Plus trash breeds trash. A clean trail or campsite tends to remain clean for awhile. Once it is trashed hikers seem to take the position that "a little more won't hurt."

I've burned a ton of plastic over the years in the Smokies and in Maine -- usually to the consternation of other hikers who remind me that I'm polluting the air. I usually offer to pack out half the trash, if they will take out the other half. The near universal response if for the complainers to walk away -- with a look of disgust on their faces.

Weary

Jeff
07-26-2009, 14:53
I have resigned myself to the fact that uninitiated tend to leave trash but today I found an empty box and bunch of plastic bags at the parking area off Rt 52 in NY. It was a mail drop box. If you have enough knowledge to send a mail drop to yourself you know enough to pack your crap out.

Was there an address label on the box? I would love to mail him/her a carton full of trash.:(

Chaco Taco
07-26-2009, 19:35
Yea who on here said that they mailed someone their trash? This thread pops up every season.

-SEEKER-
07-26-2009, 20:10
I had the unfortunate experience of sharing a shelter with 3 guys and a dog a couple of weeks ago. The unfortunate part was that they arrived early, as did I and they smoked dope all afternoon and into the night. They opened cans, ate the food and threw their empty cans and other trash into the stone fireplace in the shelter. I would have loved to have chewed them out but being a sole female alone with three guys high on pot I didn't feel safe doing so. It made me sick.

The Weasel
07-26-2009, 20:28
i know we've had these threads before, but i just want to issue a friendly request to anyone who may stumble across this......pack your trash out with you.

Define "trash."

max patch
07-26-2009, 20:36
Weezey likes to smear his trash on rocks.

saimyoji
07-26-2009, 21:08

Define "trash."

Really? You don't know what trash is? :-?

You got much bigger problems than preaching poop cuddling on this website. :rolleyes:

The Weasel
07-26-2009, 21:54
Really? You don't know what trash is? :-?

You got much bigger problems than preaching poop cuddling on this website. :rolleyes:

No, you're the one who made a generic "pack out trash" suggestion. So tell us what you think "trash" is. Some people leave books in shelters for others to read. To them, it's not trash. Some leave blank notebooks (with "mail to me when full" requests) for use as shelter registers. Some people leave things in fire rings to help the next users to start fires. To them, that's helpful. Some people bury uneaten food. To them, it's preferable to risking leaking bags of spaghetti. Some people leave unwanted but serviceable gear for others to use. Some people leave tuna cans hanging from the front of the shelter for food bags. Some people think some or all of these things are "trash."

So you tell us what you think needs to be packed out; others might not agree.

TW

Tin Man
07-26-2009, 22:08
most will agree there is a big difference between trash and biodegradable toilet tissue. sad that you don't.

Gray Blazer
07-26-2009, 22:19
Don't leave anything. Don't assume someone else wants your junk or your oatmeal.

Wags
07-26-2009, 22:30
earlier this summer i stopped at a shelter for lunch during a section hike in PA and someone left a citronella candle there. i lit it and the bugs went away for the 15 minutes i ate gorp and beef jerky. i appreciated that

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2009, 11:02
It is certainly true that hikers aren't always able to pack out some of the messes they see.

But really horrible messes should be reported to local Trail clubs, who can then pass this information on to Ridgerunners, maintainers, or local members, who may then take appropriate clean-up action.

And better yet, people able to do so should consider volunteering their time and efforts to their local Trail club, or donating to a club if they're unable to actually go out and do the clean-up/maintenance work themselves.

It always amazes me that so few of the folks who comment (or criticize) Trail conditions ever actually do anything concrete to improve these conditions.
(That's a general comment and is not directed at the Orinal Poster).

saimyoji
07-27-2009, 11:21
im headed out rihgt now to clean up some tail.

The Weasel
07-27-2009, 11:25

I am SOOOOO not going to say anything. Nada. Zip. :banana

TW

Skyline
07-27-2009, 11:38
There may be some truly good-intentioned folks who leave just one item behind at shelters, and actually believe they're doing a good deed for future hikers who come along. Taken as an isolated incident, depending upon what it is they leave behind, one might even be able to agree with their point of view.

But . . .

Leaving anything behind at a shelter encourages others to do the same. Only the next eight people will probably not leave items nearly as useful as you did. They'll simply unburden themselves of unwanted junk. Then the pile of debris gets larger and larger until finally a maintainer, ridgerunner, or in extreme cases trail crews must deal with it. Hardly anyone actually takes this stuff to use, or eat.

A debris-filled shelter and nearby trashed area makes a statement to new arrivals that it's OK to disrespect the premises. They leave unburnables in the firepit, throw stuff in the privy pit, carve or mark up shelters with graffiti.

The proper place to leave stuff for other hikers is at businesses and hostels that have a hiker box placed for precisely this purpose. Please don't leave it behind at shelters.

weary
07-27-2009, 17:29
No, you're the one who made a generic "pack out trash" suggestion. So tell us what you think "trash" is. Some people leave books in shelters for others to read. To them, it's not trash. Some leave blank notebooks (with "mail to me when full" requests) for use as shelter registers. Some people leave things in fire rings to help the next users to start fires. To them, that's helpful. Some people bury uneaten food. To them, it's preferable to risking leaking bags of spaghetti. Some people leave unwanted but serviceable gear for others to use. Some people leave tuna cans hanging from the front of the shelter for food bags. Some people think some or all of these things are "trash."

So you tell us what you think needs to be packed out; others might not agree.

TW
Maintainers in Maine are told to follow the guidelines issued by ATC. Everything found in shelters that is not placed there by maintainers is by definition "trash" and should be packed out. That includes books, bibles, clothing, food, gear .... everything.

Junk also breeds junk. If it is not packed out quickly, others will add to the pile and the shelter will be trashed mostly with stuff that no one wants.

Weary

The Weasel
07-27-2009, 20:10
Maintainers in Maine are told to follow the guidelines issued by ATC. Everything found in shelters that is not placed there by maintainers is by definition "trash" and should be packed out. That includes books, bibles, clothing, food, gear .... everything.

Junk also breeds junk. If it is not packed out quickly, others will add to the pile and the shelter will be trashed mostly with stuff that no one wants.

Weary

Shelter registers?
Tuna cans hanging from the shelter front?
"Fire starter" paper?

Is uneaten food "trash" to be packed out, buried, or neither?

TW

Lone Wolf
07-27-2009, 20:25
shelters, privies and firepits are pretty foolish. they belong in the woods

The Weasel
07-27-2009, 20:35
shelters, privies and firepits are pretty foolish. they belong in the woods

So are you, sometimes, and you belong in the woods, too. :D

Glad you're feeling OK.

TW

weary
07-27-2009, 20:55
Shelter registers?
Tuna cans hanging from the shelter front?
"Fire starter" paper?

Is uneaten food "trash" to be packed out, buried, or neither?

TW
well. most maintainers try to use common sense. By the time most long distance hikers arrive, the tuna can subtefuge has lost its usefullness. Our mice are bright. They have long since learned how to outwit tuna cans.

Unlike you California folks, we in Maine know that it truly rains in Maine. Not a difficult judgment. It's been raining or drizzling, or foggy for virtually the last 75 days. If we maintainers have checked the forecast and it looks favorable, we'll occasionally will allow fire starters to remain unmolested. But since we all carry matches or a lighter, our usual response to such vandalism is to simply light it on fire.

Uneaten food only very rarely can be burned or composted. Yes, if you dig a big enough hole. But does it happen? Almost never. If the rocks that suffice as soil in most places in glacial scarred northern New England allow an eight inch hole, we allow food "trash" to be buried. But that is so rare, don't count on it.

Weary

The Weasel
07-27-2009, 22:50
well. most maintainers try to use common sense. By the time most long distance hikers arrive, the tuna can subtefuge has lost its usefullness. Our mice are bright. They have long since learned how to outwit tuna cans.

Unlike you California folks, we in Maine know that it truly rains in Maine. Not a difficult judgment. It's been raining or drizzling, or foggy for virtually the last 75 days. If we maintainers have checked the forecast and it looks favorable, we'll occasionally will allow fire starters to remain unmolested. But since we all carry matches or a lighter, our usual response to such vandalism is to simply light it on fire.

Uneaten food only very rarely can be burned or composted. Yes, if you dig a big enough hole. But does it happen? Almost never. If the rocks that suffice as soil in most places in glacial scarred northern New England allow an eight inch hole, we allow food "trash" to be buried. But that is so rare, don't count on it.

Weary

This is why I posed the question, "Define trash." Some people will think that Bibles aren't "trash" (I believe they are), or that Registers are (they're not). Others will say, "Trash" is different from "garbage," and its OK to bury "garbage" or food (it's not). Yeah, we get rain here (Yosemite is essentially a rain forest) and fire starting items (paper, cardboard, candle pieces) protected in a can or bag can be mighty welcome sometimes. I think the "tuna can" trick is only a means to make the mice noisier at night, and as a result I think they should be taken down where found. Others differ.

This is part of why LW says shelters should be nuked. Well, he hasn't said that, but he might.

TW

Heater
07-28-2009, 04:51

Anyone that has clicked one of your links knows that was probably not a typo.

:D

Skyline
07-28-2009, 10:22
This is why I posed the question, "Define trash." Some people will think that Bibles aren't "trash" (I believe they are), or that Registers are (they're not). Others will say, "Trash" is different from "garbage," and its OK to bury "garbage" or food (it's not). Yeah, we get rain here (Yosemite is essentially a rain forest) and fire starting items (paper, cardboard, candle pieces) protected in a can or bag can be mighty welcome sometimes. I think the "tuna can" trick is only a means to make the mice noisier at night, and as a result I think they should be taken down where found. Others differ.

This is part of why LW says shelters should be nuked. Well, he hasn't said that, but he might.

TW

Want to come east and be a maintainer? Your definitions of what is and isn't trash is pretty good IMHO.

One other thought: In places where bears, raccoons, etc. are known to visit shelters, hanging food using the tuna can method inside the shelter invites midnight marauders. That can be dangerous for the human occupants. For this reason as well, the mouse hangers should not be used and where they appear should be taken down by maintainers. IN SNP we have been told to do so by higher-ups.

Monkeyboy
07-28-2009, 10:26
weezey Likes To Smear His Trash On Rocks.

Roflmao.............

Chaco Taco
07-28-2009, 17:24

Define "trash."

Well you have white trash, which makes up most of the trail
http://justwe3.com/sitebuilder/images/white.trash.couple-293x397.jpg

Then there is Hiker Trash
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/customavatars/avatar1313_1.gif

Monkeyboy
07-28-2009, 18:18

Define "trash."

You've got to be kidding me..........

The Weasel
07-28-2009, 18:40
Want to come east and be a maintainer? Your definitions of what is and isn't trash is pretty good IMHO.

One other thought: In places where bears, raccoons, etc. are known to visit shelters, hanging food using the tuna can method inside the shelter invites midnight marauders. That can be dangerous for the human occupants. For this reason as well, the mouse hangers should not be used and where they appear should be taken down by maintainers. IN SNP we have been told to do so by higher-ups.

Skyline:

I try to be a 'stealth maintainer' by pulling out the things that offend my definition. But I also do so with discretion and a bit of sensitivity to the fact that others don't always agree, as well as the practicalities of not hauling out (much) trashed/buried food.

I agree with the 'food hanger' problem. It's worse out here on the west coast where bears are very, very aggressive. Even with bear cans, I don't leave food within 100 yards of where I'm sleeping, and I cook where the food is kept. Other critters can be even more dangerous; I've seen some nasty skunk/coon bites and scratches, even if they weren't rabid. So I try to stay away from shelters/places where food is hung, if I can't (gently) encourage my neighbors to properly fly it.

TW

Tin Man
07-28-2009, 20:31
Skyline:

I try to be a 'stealth maintainer' by pulling out the things that offend my definition. But I also do so with discretion and a bit of sensitivity to the fact that others don't always agree, as well as the practicalities of not hauling out (much) trashed/buried food.

I agree with the 'food hanger' problem. It's worse out here on the west coast where bears are very, very aggressive. Even with bear cans, I don't leave food within 100 yards of where I'm sleeping, and I cook where the food is kept. Other critters can be even more dangerous; I've seen some nasty skunk/coon bites and scratches, even if they weren't rabid. So I try to stay away from shelters/places where food is hung, if I can't (gently) encourage my neighbors to properly fly it.

TW

ooo, new term 'stealth maintainer', must be like a stealth campsite, out of sight, out of mind. hmm, when was the last time the 'stealth maintainer' was spotted on the AT. Not recently is my guess, since he never answers my direct questions on this topic. Now if he could only introduce him to the concept of 'stealth wb'er'. yeah, that would work well. :D

Chaco Taco
07-28-2009, 20:39
http://rlv.zcache.com/redneck_white_trash_blue_collar_art_poster-p228144519597505743qzz0_400.jpg

Nean
07-28-2009, 20:46
most will agree there is a big difference between trash and biodegradable toilet tissue. sad that you don't.

All trash is biodegradable, why pack anything out?:D

Heater
08-01-2009, 05:54
http://rlv.zcache.com/redneck_white_trash_blue_collar_art_poster-p228144519597505743qzz0_400.jpg

Which category are you in, Chaco?

Chaco Taco
08-01-2009, 19:33
Which category are you in, Chaco?

Im in my own class