PDA

View Full Version : Helen Ga

Berryj121
07-25-2009, 22:10
Hello I am planning a trip, staying the night in helen, leaving my truck at unicoi gap to take a shuttle south to Amicola falls, then hiking backl to helen. My question is I want to know the best deal on lodgin, also looking for a place I can grab a good, home cooked breakfeast the morning I set out. I want to take a shuttle out of Unicoi gap around 0800, so some place that is open early. I like to get a good breakfest in my tummy before headin out on the trail. Thanks, the input here is always to notch

Survivor Dave
07-25-2009, 22:23
Hello I am planning a trip, staying the night in helen, leaving my truck at unicoi gap to take a shuttle south to Amicola falls, then hiking backl to helen. My question is I want to know the best deal on lodgin, also looking for a place I can grab a good, home cooked breakfeast the morning I set out. I want to take a shuttle out of Unicoi gap around 0800, so some place that is open early. I like to get a good breakfest in my tummy before headin out on the trail. Thanks, the input here is always to notch

According to my guidebook, there is a Super 8 motel for $35 but you need to ask for the "hiker" room. 706-878-2191. I'd double check on that though.
I'm sure you can find a good country breakfast there in Helen, or when you get to Amicalola Falls State Park there is an AYCE Buffet for about $7 at the lodge. You will need to find your way back down to the visitors center where the Approach Trail begins. This isn't to tough, just ask someone up there.

Tennessee Viking
07-25-2009, 22:24
Helen is a tourist town with a little German flair. I remember lots of Pancake houses. Your Hardees and McDonalds. I also remember a buffet restaurant in between Helen and Cleveland. It was very good. I don't remember its hours though.

Egads
07-25-2009, 22:37
I cant recall the name of the place, but there is a mom & pop grill that serves up an awesome hiker's breakfast. It's in a small building on the main highway on the North side of town on the right as you are NOBO. I recall the view from the window was of the Elvis Theater.

I prefer a hammock or tent to any motel in Helen

Ron Haven
07-25-2009, 22:47
According to my guidebook, there is a Super 8 motel for $35 but you need to ask for the "hiker" room. 706-878-2191. I'd double check on that though.
I'm sure you can find a good country breakfast there in Helen, or when you get to Amicalola Falls State Park there is an AYCE Buffet for about $7 at the lodge. You will need to find your way back down to the visitors center where the Approach Trail begins. This isn't to tough, just ask someone up there.Don't quote me without checking but I think that $35 hiker rate is only November thru April.I believe summer months is $62 weekdays and $89 weekends

BigFoot2002
07-25-2009, 23:11
Never order pizza from a place that also serves bratwurst.

Survivor Dave
07-25-2009, 23:12
Don't quote me without checking but I think that $35 hiker rate is only November thru April.I believe summer months is $62 weekdays and $89 weekends

Thanks for checking on that Ron, it didn't have a seasonal rates listed for that one, but the others that were listed did. The other hotels are about $60-$70 including the Comfort Inn.

Lemni Skate
07-25-2009, 23:14
I stayed in the Super 8 in April. They were very nice and helped me in every way they could.

Survivor Dave
07-25-2009, 23:18
Here's the rates for Super 8. It's now $45 Sun.-Thurs. and $75 on Friday and Saturday.

jesse
07-25-2009, 23:46
If I were doing it I would leave my car at AFSP, get a shuttle to Unicoi Gap and hike SOBO.

1. Unicoi Gap is in the middle of nowhere. I have heard reports of vandalism, which can happen at any unattended trailhead. I have parked my car there overnight with no problems however, I'm never completely comfortable with that situation.

2. Helen is a place I try to avoid. To touristy, artificial. On the other hand, AFSP has a nice lodge, and food for the end of the trip.

Ox97GaMe
07-26-2009, 09:04
you could have a hard time finding any room in Helen. They have OctoberFest starting up in early Sept and running through mid Nov. As stated, it is a tourist town and is ALWAYS crowded on weekends. Between OctoberFest and the leaf watching season, you could hae fun finding a room.

Consider perhaps going into Hiawassee from Unicoi Gap. It is about the same distance from Unicoi Gap, has more hotels, and will be less crowded.

Ox97GaMe
07-26-2009, 09:05
Hiawassee also has a couple hiker hostels. Not sure if they are open in the fall, but you can check that out as a low cost option as well.

Survivor Dave
07-26-2009, 09:40
Hiawassee also has a couple hiker hostels. Not sure if they are open in the fall, but you can check that out as a low cost option as well.

The Blueberry Patch closes end of April and Cloud 9 is permanently closed as of last November. Those are the only hostels I know/knew of there. The Hiawassee Inn is hiker friendly year round. Joyce Monroe Shuttles from there.> 706-896-9339.

max patch
07-26-2009, 11:05
If I were doing it I would leave my car at AFSP, get a shuttle to Unicoi Gap and hike SOBO.

1. Unicoi Gap is in the middle of nowhere. I have heard reports of vandalism, which can happen at any unattended trailhead. I have parked my car there overnight with no problems however, I'm never completely comfortable with that situation.

2. Helen is a place I try to avoid. To touristy, artificial. On the other hand, AFSP has a nice lodge, and food for the end of the trip.

This is what you need to do.

Park at AFSP, eat your big breakfast at the lodge, and get shuttled to Unicoi. Helen is a horrible little town and is 9 miles from Unicoi.

Frick Frack
07-26-2009, 11:47
We did not stop in Helen on our SOBO last year but I ended up there on a road bike ride a week ago and it is a dump....a minature Gatlinburg. I remember it being kinda interesting from a mountain bike race about 12-15 years ago so I headed up there on my bike to revisit Helen and it was horrific......

As said before I would avoid it at all cost.

mister krabs
07-26-2009, 12:23
yes, as said several times, avoid Helen.

cannonball
07-26-2009, 12:46
I just came back from that area. Hellen was almost a ghost town during the week but really crowded on Sun.
Try camping at unicoi state park just a few miles Nort east of Hellen. I would also try to leave my car there as Unicoi gap looks iffy at best for leavinf a car. I would not leave my vehicle there.

Cool AT Breeze
07-26-2009, 18:20
hikers leave their cars there all the time . No problems lately.

shoe
07-26-2009, 22:49
If you insist on going north I would stay at the Hiker Hostel, they will shuttle you to the trail an then come and pick you up. They also provide a home cooked breakfast. And your car is in a safe place.

BitBucket
07-26-2009, 23:04
Josh and Leigh at the Hiker Hostel would get my vote every time. Great clean place to stay. Very clean bath rooms, You can drop your car off there and they will watch it for you while you're gone, will take you to the trail (either end) and pick you up when you get through.

$16/person for a bunk - overnight stays get a great home cooked breakfast to get you on your way. On your way back thru, you can wash up your clothes, get a meal and a good nights sleep and then be on your way...

They are good folks and get Josh to tell you his story about his landscaping business and how he got into the hiker hostel. It's a great story of entrepreneurship....

Lone Wolf
07-27-2009, 06:30
helen is a great little town. screw all the naysayers.

Jack Tarlin
07-27-2009, 10:55
I've been to Helen several times and have always been treated great by the folks who live and work there.

Is it a tourist haven, and are there some over-priced places, and places that jump up their rates at certain times of the year?

Sure there are, but the judicious hiker can shop around and find perfectly nice, perfectly affordable places to lodge or eat.

On the whole, I prefer Hiawassee, but some of the negative comments here about Helen seem more than a little unfair.

Hooch
07-27-2009, 11:02
Holy ****! Wolf and Jack agree on something! :eek::D

Egads
07-27-2009, 12:46
The traffic jams thru Helen on fall weekends are infamous. It could take 2 or more hours to pass thru town.

Berryj121
07-27-2009, 18:36
The deal about helen is I want a couple of things when I get doen with my hike. I shower, a bacon cheeseburger, fries, with ranch dressing, and a couple of cold beers. Helen seemed like a logical choice, pretty developed you know. I like to rest before leaving the next day. I love hiking, but enjoy the gorging that is the end of a trip. I also looked into going NOBO because I could resupply at the hostel there in neels gap. What are your thoughts?

Egads
07-27-2009, 19:48
The deal about helen is I want a couple of things when I get doen with my hike. I shower, a bacon cheeseburger, fries, with ranch dressing, and a couple of cold beers. Helen seemed like a logical choice, pretty developed you know. I like to rest before leaving the next day. I love hiking, but enjoy the gorging that is the end of a trip. I also looked into going NOBO because I could resupply at the hostel there in neels gap. What are your thoughts?

I think you can resupply at Neel's Gap when hiking either direction