PDA

View Full Version : straps slipping

Hoop Time
07-26-2009, 18:53
Had trouble over the weekend with the connecting straps on the front of my shoulder straps continuously loosening and needing adjusting. Did not happen last weekend on a shorter trip. Also did not seem to happen as much early in the hike.

My theory is that I was sweating so heavily that the straps got wet and did not have sufficient friction to prevent them from loosening. The later in the day, the more soaked they were, the worse it seemed to get. Also has a similar problem towards the end of the day with a sweat-soaked wrist loop on one of my poles.

I tried adjusting the load. Didn't seem to make a lot of difference. And I was not carrying that much (probably around 25-30 pounds including water).

Is sweat/moisture the culprit? Do I just have to deal with this on hot days because I sweat excessively? Or are there Do I other adjustments I can try?

Jonnycat
07-27-2009, 15:50
Straps should not slip, whether they are wet or dry.

What backpack is this, and can you take a picture of the way they are threaded?

tiptoe
07-27-2009, 16:24
I have the same problem, and this thread might help. I've invested in Tri-Glides, but I haven't tested them out yet.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52368

Survivor Dave
07-27-2009, 17:02
Had trouble over the weekend with the connecting straps on the front of my shoulder straps continuously loosening and needing adjusting. Did not happen last weekend on a shorter trip. Also did not seem to happen as much early in the hike.

My theory is that I was sweating so heavily that the straps got wet and did not have sufficient friction to prevent them from loosening. The later in the day, the more soaked they were, the worse it seemed to get. Also has a similar problem towards the end of the day with a sweat-soaked wrist loop on one of my poles.

I tried adjusting the load. Didn't seem to make a lot of difference. And I was not carrying that much (probably around 25-30 pounds including water).

Is sweat/moisture the culprit? Do I just have to deal with this on hot days because I sweat excessively? Or are there Do I other adjustments I can try?

Moisture whether it be sweat or rain should not affect the integrity of the strap or the bindings. If the pack might be old and used a lot, it might be that the plastic bindings have become too "shiny" to grip even with the "teeth" on the inner part of the binding. Are the teeth worn down if that's the case?

Call the manufacturer and they might be able to help you with new harware, or go to your local outfitter and see if they can help.

Another thing as you mentioned maybe the load. If your pack is heavier than the rating that might be it, but most will hold over the limit.