PDA

View Full Version : Boots

sharky
07-26-2009, 19:18
A few weeks back I purchased a pair of Asolo TPS 520s to replace my Vasque Sundowner MX2s from about 9 years ago. Walking around in them they had been fantastic with just light hiking socks and no liners on when all these years I've used liners.

This weekend I paid the price going from Harpers Ferry to Snickers Gap in 90+ heat and within the first mile they chewed up my heels to the tune of half dollar sized blisters. The sweat was so bad that moleskin, duct tape, band aids...nothing would stay in place!

Would the liners really make that big of a difference? If the socks don't make a change what else can I do?

toegem
07-26-2009, 19:37
For me liners act as a wick to move the moisture away from my feet, I can't remember the last time I had blisters.

Jonnycat
07-26-2009, 21:22
Nothing but smartwool here, and no blisters (I also use an anti-perspirant on my feet, and watch the fit of my boots carefully).

I find I can get heel blisters from several mechanisms, but mostly when I tie the last few lace hooks too tightly. Especially on newer boots, I wear the heel deliberately loose until they work in (and my feet get used to the boots).

Phreak
07-26-2009, 21:40
Wrighsocks - have a built-in liner... never had a blister with 'em.

Blissful
07-26-2009, 22:26
Wrighsocks - have a built-in liner... never had a blister with 'em.

I had a problem with wrightsocks wearing out at the heel.

The only way I combated blisters was switching to trail runners and allowing my feet and socks and liners to dry out completely whenever I stopped. And apply duct tape at the first hot spot you feel

fredmugs
07-27-2009, 08:45
My blisters problems ended when I stopped wearing boots. Consider alternative footwear.

sharky
07-27-2009, 09:12
I used Smartwool light hiking socks. I've had great luck with the silk liners in the past but didn't listen to my own advice this weekend. I plan on trying them once I can wear shoes again without pain to see if thats the quick fix. Otherwise I've got my eye on a few pair of trailrunners.

Frick Frack
07-27-2009, 09:17
Sounds like new footwear would solve your problem Sharky. Boots worked excellent for me regardless of what the majority says but everyone has different needs....I can barely walk across a hard floor w/o shoes. As far as socks we tried a bunch on our southbound trip and the Teko's (hard to find) were by far the best for us. Smartwools make my feet sweat like crazy? Good luck!

Nasty Dog Virus
07-27-2009, 09:24
A few weeks back I purchased a pair of Asolo TPS 520s to replace my Vasque Sundowner MX2s from about 9 years ago. Walking around in them they had been fantastic with just light hiking socks and no liners on when all these years I've used liners.

This weekend I paid the price going from Harpers Ferry to Snickers Gap in 90+ heat and within the first mile they chewed up my heels to the tune of half dollar sized blisters. The sweat was so bad that moleskin, duct tape, band aids...nothing would stay in place!

Would the liners really make that big of a difference? If the socks don't make a change what else can I do?

Try some different boot lacing techniques...
http://www.backpacker.com/april_2003_gear_boot_lacing_tips/gear/5245
All my blister problems went away after I started lacing my boots in a way that locked my heel in better than just lacing them to the top.

sharky
07-27-2009, 10:45
I've always worn big heavy leather boots and never had a problem before this weekend. It's possible that I needed to break them in more before I went out. I'm a little annoyed because the way I bought them I can't return them if I needed to.

winger
07-27-2009, 10:51
I bought a pair of Asolo Fugitives about 2 months ago and despite that initial "they are already broke in out of the box" feel, it wasn't until I had about 50 miles on them that they felt good and they are the best fitting footware for hiking I have owned other than my Vasque Sundowners which I still wear occasionally.
I put a set of Superfeet insoles into every new pair of boots I buy.

boarstone
07-27-2009, 11:01
My blisters problems ended when I stopped wearing boots. Consider alternative footwear.

Here! Here! I concur! ( and so do my now happy feet in trail runners):)

Snowleopard
07-27-2009, 12:51
Sharky, My guess is that either they are not broken in completely or they do not fit you well enough. Different sock combinations or lacing techniques might help a little bit in adjusting your fit.

Raichles fit me perfectly. My latest pair is a little heavier than your boots and they gave me a blister before I broke them in.

Rainman
07-27-2009, 13:07
IMHO

Yes. Liners really do make a difference. The liners will adhere to your foot. Your other sock will adhere to the shoe. The two socks rub against each other and reduce or eliminate friction on your skin, which is what causes the blisters.

sharky
07-27-2009, 13:19
They fit just like my old Sundowners when I first tried them on which probably lulled me into a false sense of security. I need to figure something out for the whites in September.

Anyone have experience with the Vasque Velocity VSTs?