PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof sock

Earl Grey
07-26-2009, 22:55
So I am looking to get a waterproof sock of some sort.

The Sealskinz lok ok but I cant find info about them. Plus theres alot of different kinds by sealskinz. It would mostly be used in the winter if it rains or snows.

Summit
07-26-2009, 23:15
I have a pair of these and love them. Perfect for cold rainy days and snow. I've had the opportunity to use mine in both with great success. My feet get a little moist from perspiration, but stay nice and warm.

http://www.rei.com/product/620085

kayak karl
07-26-2009, 23:22
I have a pair of these and love them. Perfect for cold rainy days and snow. I've had the opportunity to use mine in both with great success. My feet get a little moist from perspiration, but stay nice and warm.

http://www.rei.com/product/620085
i tried them over the calf ones for kayaking, but water leaked in over top of sock. in the winter i used these seal skins http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/socks-seal-skinz.html and they worked fine with trail runners.

CrumbSnatcher
07-27-2009, 00:18
i hike in chaco sandals. some days barefoot, somedays socks with sealskins and my lowcut gaiters on.

Summit
07-27-2009, 06:50
I think your link is the same product as my REI one. They're not over-the-calf and the description is quite similar.

TIDE-HSV
07-27-2009, 11:14
From reading the reviews, it appears the Sealskinz just don't do what they're advertised to do. I have an old pair of REI Gore Tex socks purchased many years ago. They've always kept my feet dry so long as the water didn't go over the top. However, a month ago, I was having to stand in the spring at Gregory Bald to draw water and I noticed one foot getting cold. Inspection showed the seam tape had failed. I'd thought about the Sealskinz as a replacement, but I think I'll just try seam sealer first...

Dogwood
07-27-2009, 12:02
I just typed in www.sealskinz.com (http://www.sealskinz.com) or www.donalco.com (http://www.donalco.com), the company that makes them, and got a whole lot of info.

I suggest you go to an outfitter that carries Sealskinz or NPS(carried by paddling outfitters) WP socks and try them on, look them over. I have pairs of WP socks from both companies and recommend them both. I would avoid the socks made with Gortex though and try to find a one piece sock or at least a WP sock where the seams are properly sealed to avoid leaks.

CrumbSnatcher
07-27-2009, 15:00
i've hiked a few miles on the A.T. WITH SEALSKINS they work great! i can stand in a creek cool off my feet and my feet stayed dry. hiked in snow no problem!
all your reviewers must of had operator era?:D

brooklynkayak
07-27-2009, 17:05
From reading the reviews, it appears the Sealskinz just don't do what they're advertised to do.

On thing about the Sealskinz and any sock is that they can't always be 100% waterproof, water either gets in from capillary action, or a leak.

Sealskins do have the advantge of insulating when wet, which is why they are so popular with paddlers.

I use a lot of different water socks and I find SeakSkins to be more durable than most.

Neoprene white water socks from NRS and others may be a better choice with sandals in the cold as there are various thicknesses to chose from.

A good 2 or 3mm WW sock really makes a diffence when you have to wade thru cold water filled trails. They are a bit heavy though.

Be aware that any neo/waterproof sock will contribute to trenchfoot by trapping moisture. So make sure you take breaks to dry out your feet and socks from time to time.

humunuku
07-27-2009, 17:22
ive used sealskinz for almost 2 years, this is my experience(I use mine for kayaking, bike touring and hiking):
1. The over the calf sock does not keep water out if water over tops the sock as they claim.
2. they appear to be pretty waterproof if you keep the water below the top of the sock.
3. The waterproofing ( plastic wrap) along the top part of the sock is somewhat fragile...meaning mine tore when putting it one once. The company did warranty it though.

They are "okay" socks...I don't really know of a better waterproof option, but I do think they can be improved upon

Earl Grey
07-27-2009, 19:45
ive used sealskinz for almost 2 years, this is my experience(I use mine for kayaking, bike touring and hiking):
1. The over the calf sock does not keep water out if water over tops the sock as they claim.
2. they appear to be pretty waterproof if you keep the water below the top of the sock.
3. The waterproofing ( plastic wrap) along the top part of the sock is somewhat fragile...meaning mine tore when putting it one once. The company did warranty it though.

They are "okay" socks...I don't really know of a better waterproof option, but I do think they can be improved upon

So which sealskinz did you use? Theres a few different options of them.

brooklynkayak
07-28-2009, 10:52

They must make different models. Mine are a strong nylon(like?) reinforced neoprene, very durable.
The nylon fabric also helps them dry faster than standard nylon scuba socks.

humunuku
07-28-2009, 12:12
Waterblocker socks "fully immersible socks" (which i highly disagree with)

TIDE-HSV
07-28-2009, 12:55
Be aware that any neo/waterproof sock will contribute to trenchfoot by trapping moisture. So make sure you take breaks to dry out your feet and socks from time to time.

I'm well aware of the limitations. I kayaked from the early 70s till the early 90s, when an idiot rammed my rib cage in Hell Hole on the Ocoee, breaking four ribs, displacing one, bruising my left kidney and doing assorted soft tissue damage. I took the first low volume boat ("Seda Climax") down the GC, when everyone else was paddling Hollowforms. (Secret was I couldn't roll the big Hollowforms...)

CrumbSnatcher
07-28-2009, 13:46
i know your talking about WW but when hiking i wear sandels and your feet dry out bad, and they hurt bad. just as bad as blisters sometimes.
ive never had a blister once hiking in my sandels but when my feet get real dry and cracked,i'll hike in my sealskins even when dry and sunny out. just to trap the moisture in the sock! it helps stop the drying and cracking!

ShoelessWanderer
07-28-2009, 14:38
So glad I found this thread! I hike in Tevas and have seen the waterproof socks but haven't broke down and bought any because I was waiting for someone who had used them to let me know what they thought. I am going to have to go buy me a pair or two now!

BrianLe
07-29-2009, 00:35
I own both sealskinz ~neoprene socks and goretex socks. I rarely use the sealskinz, but do bring my Rocky brand goretex socks on trips where significant rain and/or snow is expected. (suggestion: to fit a wool sock inside, size these up ...)

Caveat: if you wear a shoe or boot that doesn't breathe well, it won't be as nice --- the goretex needs to have somewhere for the moisture to get out to! I wear very breatheable (not waterproof or water-resistant) shoes.

Caveat 2: I've used these with more success in snow than in rain, as in rain I think it's often better to just get wet and then walk the shoes dry when it gets dry on the trail. Wool socks stay warm when wet and when it's not cold out, it's fine to just ... get wet.

Sealskinz can make very cold creek crossings less painful, but they're a bit of a PITA to put on and take off each time you do a crossing.

For a clean sweep (?) of this sort of thing, you could also look at vapor barrier socks. I've (quite infrequently) carried them, but never had the need to actually use 'em.

I think a big factor here is expectations; nothing is going to be perfect, it's about understanding what the gear can and can't do. Most times I just get wet when it's wet out, and use plastic bread bags (poor man's VB socks) in camp to allow moving about camp in wet shoes but dry socks.