PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag

HumanBN
07-27-2009, 05:04
Hello,

I did a search for sleeping bags and didn't get much regarding that subject. So, here we go. I'm looking for a light, compressable, down sleeping bag that I can use in the first section of my hike. You know what I'm talking about, when it's cold. At the moment I have a 30 degree down bag, which is nice, but I would like to go a little lower in temperature rating and gain some compression too; my bag doesn't compress as well as many others that I have seen. I like to be warm when I sleep. I'm 6 ft tall and weigh around 130lbs. So I get cold easily. Anyway, who uses what? How small does it compress to? Temperature rating? Weight? And, the most important question of them all, what is your favorite cheese?

bloodmountainman
07-27-2009, 05:50
Marmot Goose down
Compresses to the size of a softball
20 degrees
32 ounces
smoked gouda

bulldog49
07-27-2009, 09:38
Western Mountaineering are the only bags I use. You should look at the Ultra-lite 20 deg or Versalite 10 deg. In my opinion they have the best warmth to weight ratio and very compressable to boot.

Jayboflavin04
07-27-2009, 09:48
WM ultralite here. Most people will agree that their temp ratings are very conservative. Your are gonna shell out some change for a western mount bag, but it is gonna last a long time if you take good care of it.

bigcranky
07-27-2009, 11:05
WM Antelope for an early start (5-F rating.) Less than 3 pounds, compresses to a reasonable size for a winter bag. Expensive.

For a mid-March start, maybe a WM Ultralight Super. Given your size it should fit very well, with room for a down jacket inside.

Very sharp cheddar. Or aged provolone.

Lone Wolf
07-27-2009, 11:08
Hello,

I did a search for sleeping bags and didn't get much regarding that subject. So, here we go. I'm looking for a light, compressable, down sleeping bag that I can use in the first section of my hike. You know what I'm talking about, when it's cold. At the moment I have a 30 degree down bag, which is nice, but I would like to go a little lower in temperature rating and gain some compression too; my bag doesn't compress as well as many others that I have seen. I like to be warm when I sleep. I'm 6 ft tall and weigh around 130lbs. So I get cold easily. Anyway, who uses what? How small does it compress to? Temperature rating? Weight? And, the most important question of them all, what is your favorite cheese?

best bag out there http://www.campmore.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40066

Hooch
07-27-2009, 11:12
.......the most important question of them all, what is your favorite cheese?Buffalo mozzarella.

Lone Wolf
07-27-2009, 11:15
what is your favorite cheese?

i hate cheese. i never eat it

Blissful
07-27-2009, 11:36
Love my 15 degree Montbell UL down hugger. Do a price search and backcountry.com will match the price.

Blissful
07-27-2009, 11:37
For cheese-

Smoked gouda, cheddar, etc (or any cheese smoked)

Dogwood
07-27-2009, 11:53
You are saying you did a search for sleeping bags and didn't find much? You should get a wealth of info regarding sleeping bags if you just type in the words sleeping bags either here on WB or Google. All of the questions you ask are found in the specs for sleeping bags at any outfitter's or gear manufacturer's website. The info is all there at your fingertips if you just do an appropriate search for it!

Red Hat
07-27-2009, 12:47
Hello,

This WM Apache is for sale now over on hammockforums.net
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9634

Better move fast....

Rainman
07-27-2009, 12:54
Definitely another vote for Mont-bell UL Down Hugger bags. I have three mont-bell bags in different temperature ratings. I even have one of the older models with no zipper. They all compress very well. Do be sure to store them long term in the cotton storage bag mont-bell sends. As with all down bags, they will lose loft after long storage compressed.

Berserker
07-27-2009, 13:15
If it were me I would be using my WM Versalite. It weighs 37.5 oz in the long (6'-6") version, and stuffs to the size of a bloated 2 liter bottle. I also have an Ultralite Super, and I like the extra girth of the Versalite.

For cheese it has to be any of the cheddars made by Weyauwega Star Dairy in WI.

winger
07-27-2009, 13:18
Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends.

HumanBN
07-27-2009, 19:47
You are saying you did a search for sleeping bags and didn't find much? You should get a wealth of info regarding sleeping bags if you just type in the words sleeping bags either here on WB or Google. All of the questions you ask are found in the specs for sleeping bags at any outfitter's or gear manufacturer's website. The info is all there at your fingertips if you just do an appropriate search for it!

Did the search here. Manufacturer websites are bias.

HumanBN
07-27-2009, 19:49
Thanks for all the help, folks. Glad to see that some other people enjoy the cheese as well. Will start looking and comparing prices on the bags posted. Appreciate you all.

Jonnycat
07-28-2009, 10:49
Had a WM Megalite, sold it on Ebay.

Bought a montbell UL SS DownHugger #2. I will take this bag with me to my grave.

Also: sharp chedder

chefjason
07-28-2009, 11:02
Roquefort...the King of cheeses! A few crumbles on a lavosh craker with candied walnuts and a port reduction. WOW.:banana

As for the sleeping bag, I will let the pros chime in.

HumanBN
07-28-2009, 14:57
Roquefort...the King of cheeses! A few crumbles on a lavosh craker with candied walnuts and a port reduction. WOW.

Some one with tastes similar to my own. Love a nice Bleu' with some Port wine.

Highstepper
07-28-2009, 19:06
Here is a good site to compare bags: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagtable.cfm?orderby=Weight

Mags
07-28-2009, 19:31
If you can afford it, the Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bags are going to be excellent. Expensive, but they will last a long time.

If you are on a budget, the Campmor Bag is a decent one..esp if you are starting out.
(The previous link was for a long one; this one is for the 6' length http://www.campmore.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065)

Favorite cheese? Depends.... (and one of the better questions! :sun)

Swiss cheese with a thick juicy burger (medium rare) covered with bacon, sauteed onions and mushrooms. Pair with a nice darker ale or even a porter.

Of course, before said burger, gotta have the buffalo wings with blue cheese.

During the hotter months, a a simple green salad with Kalamata olives, cukes, garden fresh tomatoes and feta cheese is killer.

Going gourmet? Some port infused cheese and dark chocolate with a Malbec rocks. (Works for hiking dates, too :) )

If I want the comfort food I grew up with, add some provolone, capicola, marinated red-roasted peppers and red onion on some crusty Italian bread.

Finally, if I just want to keep it simple, some goat cheese with rosemary and some wine was one of my favorite culinary memories.

wolf
07-28-2009, 20:23
what ever make u feel good

Dogwood
07-28-2009, 20:49
Did the search here. Manufacturer websites are bias.

Excuse Me! That's fine that you want to have some personal opinions on sleeping bags. There are plenty of folks here on WB that will give you solid advice on a bag and their personal experiences, and they will be more than eager to help, but don't tell me that you couldn't find a wealth of solid info yourself here on WB just by searching sleeping bags or if you googled sleeping bags. Yes, some gear manufacturer's are biased and some outfitter's are biased, and, yes, even people here on WB are biased. Does that mean you can't find reliable info you desired by searching at outfitter or gear manufacturer's websites?

Summit
07-28-2009, 20:52
Sleeping bag - I prefer synthetic to down 'cause you can dry wet clothes in them. Currently using a NF Cat's Meow 20* bag.

Cheese - Monterrey Jack, not necessarily for best tasting, but assuming you're wanting to pack some for hiking, it's the most "keepable" cheese bar none! Most of the more heavily flavored cheeses don't keep well - i.e. they mold or turn disgustingly greasy fast.

STICK
08-02-2009, 18:27
Had a WM Megalite, sold it on Ebay.

Bought a montbell UL SS DownHugger #2. I will take this bag with me to my grave.

Also: sharp chedder

I cant wait for the day that I get mine!!!

toegem
08-02-2009, 19:39
Marmot makes a decent 15 degree bag Pinnacle at a fair price, weighs in at 2.5 lbs. 800 down. Then there is the Marmot Pounder which is a primaloft bag good to 25 degrees weighing in at a kilo and about half the price of the Pinnacle.

Cheese of choice; Brie served up on water crackers with a nice bottle of Pinot Noir.

HumanBN
08-21-2009, 16:20
Thinking about getting one of the Snugpac bags. I saw one a couple of years ago and it was certainly tiny and light. Thinking around 30 degrees.

skinewmexico
08-21-2009, 16:43
WM Megalight. And it's made in the USA. I've also got a Luxurylite that I'm really happy with.

saimyoji
08-21-2009, 17:01
couldn't find much in your search here? either you are stupid or lazy.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=6604713
4855 results isn't enough? :rolleyes:

welcome to WB. :welcome

Don H
08-21-2009, 20:56
I use a Feathered Friends Swallow. Top quality and big bucks. You get a choice of shell materials, length, sizes, zipper side and degrees. You get to build the bag you want.
http://www.featheredfriends.com/

David@whiteblaze
08-21-2009, 21:18
Cheese - Monterrey Jack, not necessarily for best tasting, but assuming you're wanting to pack some for hiking, it's the most "keepable" cheese bar none! Most of the more heavily flavored cheeses don't keep well - i.e. they mold or turn disgustingly greasy fast.
montery jack rocks, even at home, bar none.:banana

Wags
08-22-2009, 00:44
if you have a 30 degree bag then i'd probably look to get a 15 or lower rated bag. to me it seems a waste to have a 30 degree and 20 degree bag.