PDA

View Full Version : Location of AT in PA

horicon
07-27-2009, 15:02
How far is the AT from Harrisburgh, PA???? I am thinking of taking Amtrak to Harrsburgh, PA and dong some hiking in the area. Planning on doing it in September.

Yahtzee
07-27-2009, 15:08
That AT is about 15 miles from the Amtrak station, either to the Clarks Ferry Bridge or to the top of Peters Mt. It might be easier to get dropped off at the Clarks Ferry Bridge only because I am not sure the cab drivers outside the Amtrak station would be familiar with getting to Peters Mt.

If you hike PA in Sept be prepared for some of the nicest weather going! (locals' bias) And also be prepared for some dry springs. Check out this site for water updates.

DavidNH
07-27-2009, 15:09
If memory serves me I think it might be something like a half hour drive? I don't live in PA so I am probably not the best source of info but I think I remember hearing this.

DavidNH

Nasty Dog Virus
07-27-2009, 15:13
How far is the AT from Harrisburgh, PA???? I am thinking of taking Amtrak to Harrsburgh, PA and dong some hiking in the area. Planning on doing it in September.

You planning on going N or S on the AT from Harrisburg?

horicon
07-27-2009, 15:27
I have not decided on the direction yet.

Yahtzee
07-27-2009, 15:38
How long do you plan on being out for?

emerald
07-27-2009, 17:54
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52656

Watch the above thread for information especially as September nears. Local day hikers and through hikers will be adding information as summer wears on. Much can and will change between now and then.

Hoop Time
07-27-2009, 18:10
Actually, the AT is even closer if you go to where it crosses US Route 11. There are numerous other trailheads within a 20-30 minute drive, depending how you want to structure your hike, though cab drivers might not be familiar with many of those locations.

StarLyte
07-27-2009, 18:31
I believe Trail Angel Mary will shuttle in and around Harrisburg....PM her here or:

[email protected]

Mary knows AT back/service roads everywhere in her area.

Also phone ATC in Boiling Springs: 717-258-6668 for shuttlers

Have fun !

Yahtzee
07-27-2009, 19:56
You are so right, Hoop. I never go to that section of trail cos it is in the Cumberland Valley section and I always head to the mountains. Never crossed my mind. In all of my years of heading to the trail from my house in HBG, I have never gone to Rt 11. Maybe next time, I will.

BTW, was that your article in last Sunday's paper?

horicon
07-28-2009, 06:43
I am planning to be out for several days.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-28-2009, 07:53
Nice easy hike between Pine Grove Furnace St. Park and Caledonia St. Park...

http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=1&sectionID=13

Hoop Time
07-28-2009, 08:33
BTW, was that your article in last Sunday's paper?

Yep, the story on the Scott Farm (http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1248656105104910.xml&coll=1) was mine. It was supposed to be a story a month ago about the rehab of the bunkhouse. But first people in Harrisburg started shooting at each other, then I was on vacation a week, then they didn't paint the Friday of the Billville Feed (decided they could get it done in one day so just did it Saturday) when Cookie Monster and I planned to help and get some pictures for the story. So eventually I salvaged the interviews I had done by making it into a little feature on the role the farm plays.

The print version actually included some pics of hikers lunching there, and of two on the Conodoguinet boardwalk, that I have already posted in the gallery here.

Hoping to do a piece on ridgerunners in August. I have gotten approval to do it if I can fit a day or two of hiking with one of them into my schedule.