PDA

View Full Version : Advice from anyone with kids

Berryj121
07-27-2009, 18:48
I am a novice hiker, I know enough to stay safe and know my limitations. I want to bring my son along, he is 4. I am not looking to take him to the appalachian trail just yet, really thinking on a overnight thru Paynes Praire, then move onto the Florida Trail. I am a paramedic, I know I can take care of any medical issues. Just wanting some input from you who have kids/grandkids, what worked best and all that stuff. Thanks

Cool AT Breeze
07-27-2009, 19:14
There is no reason a four year old cant hike a mile or two on the AT and do an over night as long as there parents are comfortable in the woods. I have a friend that hikes to Bull Gap and camps with his two year old son quite often. Both his parents are thru hikers. Take them out have fun.

Jim Adams
07-27-2009, 19:21
short miles, add mud, bugs, shallow water (puddles)...have fun!!!!!

geek

shelterbuilder
07-27-2009, 19:39
I had my son out on the AT for his first overnight at the Windsor Furnace Shelter when he was about 3 1/2. He carried a very small daypack with some personal items, some snacks, and a jacket, and I carried the rest - we did a grand total of 3/4 mile from the parking lot, made camp, supper, MARSHMELLOWS and turned in for the night (November, I think). In the morning after breakfast, we walked back to the car on a slightly different route.

Go slow (HIS pace, not yours), stop often to look at bugs, rocks, trees (whatever catches HIS interest), walk few miles, bring his favorite foods/treats, and prepare yourself to see the world through HIS eyes. Remember that the world is all new to him, and there are wonders around every bend!

Make some memories for both of you! Good luck.

Egads
07-27-2009, 19:49
I see you are hiking the Florida Trail. I'd wait for the winter cool down to hike.

Nasty Dog Virus
07-27-2009, 22:33
My son has hiked overnight with me since he was 5 (now 9). He has always carried his pack/sleeping bag/pillow and I carry everything else. Make it enjoyable for him with short hikes. For the 1st couple years we hiked 1-2 miles with little elevation change. Last week he did 3.5 miles in and 5 miles out the next day on a overnighter in a St. Forest. Next step is taking him on a multi-day trek.

Always have your child carry an emergency whistle and teach him how and when to use it. I'd also consider having a 4yo wear a glowstick at night...

JaxHiker
07-28-2009, 10:35
My son loved hiking the short section of the FT through Gold Head. It's a really nice park. Paynes Prairie is nice, too, but the hiking wasn't as enjoyable.

JaxHiker
07-28-2009, 10:36
Oh, he's not quite 4 and he did better than most of the adults that were with us.

chefjason
07-28-2009, 11:16
I have been taking my twins on day hikes to see water falls and such (2 miles or so) as well as over night camping at camp grounds since they were 3 1/2. So, I see no difference in a short over night on a trail. As long as the camp site you pick is not on a 100ft ledge! I think it is more dangerous to raise a generation of kids who never get out of in front of a t.v./nintendo d.s./x-box/dell/blackberry/rock band....then to have a kid in the woods over nite where they might learn a few things about nature/God/themselves and each other! IMO. (rant finished)