PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the Big Agnes Gilpin sleeping bag?

Chowder
07-28-2009, 07:16
Hi All,

I just got my new Big Agnes Gilpin +10 down sleeping bag in the mail, which I snagged of SAC. (basic details found here (http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/737673))

The sleeping pad I have is a regular shaped inflatable (off brand) that won't fit into the sleeve built into the bottom of the bag. Can you please recommend a good mummy sleeping pad that would fit in the Gilpin's pad sleeve? Has anyone used the Gilpin before and have good/bad stories to share?

I'll be sleeping in a tent with a ground cloth. Figure on temps for a normal NOBO thru starting end of March.

Thanks for your help. :D

aframe
07-28-2009, 11:26
I got the Gilpin on SAC about a month ago, and so far it's been great. I thru-hiked with a 20 degree synthetic bag and a 3/4length thermarest... now I have the Gilpin and the Big Agnes insulated air core mummy pad. Just about broke even weight-wise- maybe gained or lost an ounce or two, but nothing significant. The big difference is that I actually sleep with the new system. My personal pros and cons:

Pros: Real sleep, complete with dreaming and being able to twist and turn like I can on a real bed under a real blanket.

Cons: Not being able to sit up in the bag. There's some flexibility in the pad, but I'm worried about popping it if I fold it/mess with it too much. And obviously you can sit up in the bag before you put the pad in, but then there's no insulation for your back. It seems like it takes forever to blow the pad up (in reality, only 5 minutes), but hey, I've been wanting to work on my lung capacity. It's kind of annoying (for me, at least) to not be able to move the head of the sleeping bag, but I solved that problem by only using the bottom of the sleeve for the pad and leaving the head free. I might make a hole in the bottom so I can move the foot around a little too.

All in all, though, it's a nice system. And you'll actually get some sleep, which makes an enormous difference!

Alli
08-02-2009, 02:16
Just bought one of SAC as well for shoulder seasons... will test it with my therm-a-rest as well as my baiac and let you know how it works out.

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2009, 12:19
Aframe nailed it in one post, if you are a toss, turner, at night or want to sit up you will rip it, Otherwise it's a great system.

Alli
08-03-2009, 18:52
Just got mine in the mail.

First impressions: Nice bag, lofted up in the time it took me to blow up the pad. I definitely could not see a rectangular pad working as it wouldn't fit in the head bit.

My air core pillow doesn't fit, which sucks. I assumed since this bag is a BA product and the pillow is as well they would be compatible. I guess not. I'll be picking up some of the BPL pillows.

I couldn't zip the bag all the way up because I was overheating. I'll take that as a good sign. It appears to have a pretty small hood, but I'm a small person so that will be fine.