PDA

View Full Version : Mac & Cheese - How?

David@whiteblaze
07-28-2009, 13:15
i have heard people say that mac & cheese is great for the A.T. but i wouldn't have butter or milk on the trail, so i don't know if there is an instant mac & cheese product or something. anyone have more info?

Jack Tarlin
07-28-2009, 13:22
Powdered Milk works great and many hikers carry it.

And a lot of folks skip butter, or they carry Butter Flakes (look in the spice section of your market) or maybe they carry squeeze butter. A small plastic bottle of olive oil also works in place of butter.

Hooch
07-28-2009, 13:44
Easy mac and cheese recipe (http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/lazy-hiker-mac-n-cheese). There ya have it.

Homer&Marje
07-28-2009, 13:47
You can carry butter with you...and powdered milk

Butter will stay good for a while unrefrigerated.

Can also substitute olive oil for the butter. Or skip it.

Terraducky
07-28-2009, 13:54
I get those little packs of Kraft micor-wave mac N cheese. They don't need to be simmered for 5-7 minutes. Also, throw in dehydrated veggies, dried minced onions, salsa, etc. to jazz it up. If you wnt to further embellish, add a single serve foil pack of tuna or spam or salmon...whatever you wish....yum!

David@whiteblaze
07-28-2009, 13:56
oh, DUH! WHy didn't i think of that, living on whiteblaze must've altered my mind somehow.

Dicentra
07-28-2009, 14:09
I skip the milk and butter when making mac n cheese in the backcountry... ButterBuds or Molly Mcbutter (powdered butter - found by the popcorn or spice aisle) and powdered milk could be used...

I like adding veggies (kale!!) and a pouch of tuna or salmon to mine. :)

ShoelessWanderer
07-28-2009, 14:40
You can completely skip the butter. Still taste good! And instead of powdered milk (which I don't EVER have on hand :)) I just use regular coffee creamer.

The Old Fhart
07-28-2009, 14:44
You can save time and fuel by using cous-cous for pasta, Squeeze-Parkay, and Southeastern cheddar cheese sauce mix (http://www.yodersmart.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6861) which I buy locally at about $1.20 a package. One package is good for at least 2 meals and it tastes good.

sweetpeastu
07-28-2009, 15:09
I always use those little "Kraft Easy Mac N Cheese" they come in little plastic containers. Before leaving the house I dump the contents into little zip locks to transport. In camp, I'd use a good stainless steel pot and boil water and cook the noodles till tender, then dump in the sauce....If memory serves correctly, I only cooked the noodles in whatever amount of water the package called for. I don't need milk or butter. It tasted great by itself. I'd also add a pouch of tuna or something for added protein. Tastes great on the trail!

sarbar
07-28-2009, 15:10
I just use regular coffee creamer.

Super creamy that way......

BigCat
07-28-2009, 15:11
Easy Mac! (http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Products/ProductInfoDisplay.aspx?SiteId=1&Product=2100067149) I lived on the stuff. Very easy to make and easy on fuel. I would bring my water to a boil, cut off the gas and cover. The pasta was ready in 5 min or so, then you just add the cheese mix. Good stuff!

David@whiteblaze
07-28-2009, 15:42
I have changed my name from Max2mus to David@whiteblaze, so if you randomly decide to shoot me a pm, i wont get it as Max2mus.

Peaks
07-28-2009, 16:38
You can completely skip the butter. Still taste good! And instead of powdered milk (which I don't EVER have on hand :)) I just use regular coffee creamer.

Squeeze Parkay is a good way to get in a few more calories.

SunnyWalker
07-28-2009, 21:26
Like Hooch shows on his link, the deluxe mac and cheese include the dairy products. makes it real easy.

mkmangold
07-28-2009, 23:35
I skip the milk and butter when making mac n cheese in the backcountry... ButterBuds or Molly Mcbutter (powdered butter - found by the popcorn or spice aisle) and powdered milk could be used...

I like adding veggies (kale!!) and a pouch of tuna or salmon to mine. :)

My quote from a previous post: My youngest son and I experimented outside tonight using generic macaroni and cheese and it turned out well. We each boiled 2 cups of water which is what we usually do for meals. I used a Fancee Feast stove and Ben used an esbit stove (he's only 7 so I figure it's safest). After reaching boiling, 13 minutes FF and 17 minutes esbit, we added half of the dry noodles to each pot, about 3/4 cup each. Each stove continued to boil another 7 minutes, which is what is recommended on the box. I then drained off a total of 2 cups of hot water, added 8 sporkfuls of Nido to the water to reconstitute milk (a heaping sporkful is about a tablespoon), and poured 1/8 cup of milk back into each pot. To each pot I then added 1/2 pack of the cheese mixture (4 level sporkfuls each) and 2 sporkfuls of Butter Buds. Stirred and ate. As a bonus, I added 4 sporkfuls of Nestle's chocolate powder to the rest of the Nido milk and had hot chocolate. Sounds like it could be gross, but there was no pasta taste.