PDA

View Full Version : What backpack do YOU own?

Trooper
07-28-2009, 15:32
Yes, it's the age-old question...what backpack should I buy? I've had the same REI external frame pack since I was in boy scouts. The thing has to be at least 15 years old by now. Although it is still in good shape, I am looking for a lighter & more comfortable internal frame pack. It will primarily be used for 3 day trips, but I also need something versatile that can handle 5-7 day trips.

On my last weekend trip, my entire pack weighed in at 34 lbs. That's including the approx. 5.75 lb. backpack, 4 lb. 2 oz. REI T2 tent, 4 lb. zero-degree sleeping bag, 2 lb. Thermo-Rest Original, 3 Liters of water (6 lbs.), food, clothes, etc..... I hope to shed 2 lbs with a new pack, 2 lbs by carrying a liter less of water, and more 2 lbs with a new 3-season sleeping bag. This brings me down to 28 lbs, and if I do a 5-7 day trip I'll re-think my shelter arrangements.

I am currently looking at the Deuter Aircontact Lite 65+10, Granite Gear Vapor Trail 3600, Granite Gear Meridian Vapor, REI Ridgeline 65 and REI Flash 65. ANY REVIEWS ON THESE OR OTHER RECOMMENDATION?

Hooch
07-28-2009, 15:41
Currently, I use the ULA Catalyst, but will be changing to the ULA Circuit late this fall. Can't buy a better pack anywhere, IMO.

Tenderheart
07-28-2009, 15:46
I hiked with an ArcTeryx Khamsin 50 SL, but it is no longer made. Can't speak from personal experience, but I hear great things about the ULA line of packs. You may want to check these out.

litefoot 2000

Phreak
07-28-2009, 15:47
Granite Gear Vapor Trail and Nimbus Ozone.

chiefduffy
ULA Catalyst. Completely satisfied with this pack.

- Duffy

Lyle
ULA P2 (replaced by the Catalyst) and ULA Conduit. GREAT packs, best I've owned in 30 + years.

Cannibal
07-28-2009, 15:48
I've got a ULA Catalyst, Circuit, and a newly acquired Ohm. Absolutely love those packs! I've been stepping down a size every year in an effort to cut weight and volume out of my pack. They are tough as anything that ever bore the name "ultralight". However, they aren't really 'ultralight'. Instead, they are a fantastic balance between heavy and crazy light. Love em, love em, love em.

Jester2000
07-28-2009, 16:07
Osprey Atmos 65. Had this last year on the PCT and loved it. I'm about to buy another one.

Should handle that amount of weight well, plus give you the ability to add more weight if you're going out longer.

Plus there'll be some airflow between your back and the pack, as with your external frame.

Red Beard
07-28-2009, 16:13
Since Brian is closing shop (for fall hiking), does anybody know where I'd be able to score a ULA Circuit when October rolls around? I won't have the dough for a new pack till then.

SteveJ
07-28-2009, 16:13
GG Vapor Trail - '04 version I think, without the top lid. Carry it for 3.5 season packing here in the south (I don't hike in the heat of the summer!). It's a little big for my warm weather gear, and it's tight with my cold weather gear - so it does the job. I have carried it with about 35 lbs in relative comfort (frame did buckle a couple of times, but not a big problem). Normal load for me is between 25 and 30. Great pack!

Jeff
07-28-2009, 16:15
ULA Circuit....Brian will customize special features you may require!!!

bigcranky
07-28-2009, 16:16
Currently using a Six Moons Designs Starlite pack for general backpacking. Less than two pounds for an internal frame pack is pretty good. My pack is five years old and going strong.

I have an Osprey Kestrel 32 for long dayhikes and carrying cameras, and a Golite 24 Pack for light dayhikes.

Past packs, in order, starting in 1993:

1. Kelty Tioga external frame. Painful.
2. Gregory Shasta. Still have this. Not sure why.
3. Gregory Reality.
4. Gregory Keeler.
5. Osprey Aether 60.

None of these packs has been as light or as comfortable as the Starlite. (Except that the Shasta could carry 65+ pounds, and the Starlite can't.)

Hooch
07-28-2009, 16:31
Since Brian is closing shop (for fall hiking), does anybody know where I'd be able to score a ULA Circuit when October rolls around? I won't have the dough for a new pack till then.You can check with Mountain Crossings, Bluff Mountain Outfitters or Mount Rogers Outfitters around that time to see if they have any in stock still. If not, just hang on to your cash til the first of December when ULA opens back up.

Quoddy
07-28-2009, 16:31
ULA Ohm (my go-to pack)
McHale LBP 36
ULA Conduit
MLD 2009 Revelation (cuben fiber)
MLD 2007 Revelation (Spinntex)
ZPacks Blast 26

winger
07-28-2009, 16:46
ULA Catalyst and Ohm.

skinewmexico
07-28-2009, 16:49
Just replaced my Exos 46 and 58 with ULA Catalyst and Circuit; great packs. But I also like my Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus, G4, GoLite Pinnacle and Jam2. Use the right tool for the job. And if I really think I need to carry a lot of weight I have a Kelty 50th Anniversary, and a couple of Jansport D3s. Those Jansports with the arms on the hip belt can really carry a lot of weight. Which I try not to do.

Kerosene
07-28-2009, 16:54
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/nimbusozone.html) with The Lid (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/GG350). Rides great with the 25-28 pounds I typically carry in the Fall. There are a number of lighter, smaller options I'd consider from GG and others for summer use.

Rcarver
07-28-2009, 16:57
I love my ULA Circuit.

HikerRanky
07-28-2009, 17:04
ULA Catalyst

Chaco Taco
07-28-2009, 17:14
Granite gear Nimbus Meridian, love it love it love it!!!:banana

Jim Adams
07-28-2009, 17:28
1988 Camp Trails internal
1990 Peak 1 external
1994 TNF Minute Man internal
1998 Kelty internal
2002 Dana Bridger internal
2004 Gregory G internal
2006 Gegory Z internal
2007 Osprey Atmos 50 internal
2009 Peak 1 external from 1994....most comfortable pack that I've ever used and very light for an external. My pack weight with 4 days food, a liter of water, a liter of whiskey and all that I need for an AT thru is 26-27lbs. depending on tarp or tent and 0* bag or 40*.
Unless the future holds some major advancement in pack design, I won't change again.

I guess the moral of the story is use what works for you!

geek

toegem
07-28-2009, 17:31
Granite Grear Latitude Vapor 3800 cu in spring summer and fall.
Lowe Contour IV winter this pack is cavernous.

flemdawg1
07-28-2009, 18:12
Camp Trails Catskill
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone

aufgahoban
07-28-2009, 18:35
ULA circuit

HumanBN
07-28-2009, 18:55
Osprey Aether 60. No complaints.

shoe
07-28-2009, 19:30
Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian Ki
Like most things about it and it fits me awesome.

JaxHiker
07-28-2009, 23:13
Just picked up a Deuter ACT Lite 65+10.

Tinker
07-28-2009, 23:29
Golite Dawn 14 oz. plus closed cell foam liner (approx 10 oz.) I also have a GG Virga. It's only ok in my book. Very well made but a little heavier, no bigger, and more complicated than my Dawn (which, unfortunately, isn't made any longer). I like a pack that's basically a tube, supported by closed cell foam (rolled and placed inside, as a liner, and stuffed with gear like a sausage). If the shoulder strap height is right, you can't ask for a simpler and lighter pack. Load lifters (which I have on my Virga) are extra weight. They only function for those who actually need a larger pack.

Mags
07-28-2009, 23:32
The ULA packs are great packs for those who are traditional backpackers and want to lighten their load. Well made, comfortable packs. Their ul packs are also well made, too.

If I want to scare people, I'll break out my circa 1996 EMS 5500. It is the same pack that I used on the Appalachian Trail. :O Big and heavy, it makes me look much burlier than I really am. :)

As for the packs I use, my long distance hiking pack is currently a Six Moons Swift. Small, light and perfect for solo backpacking trip with my 8 lb or so base pack weight.

My "go to" pack is a GoLite Jam II. One of the best gear bargains I made. Picked up for $30 courtesy of the warehouse sale in town. It is light enough to be a day pack, big enough for social backpacking trips (when I need to pack wine, extra clothing and other goodies!) and I use it for ski tours and hut trips.

Kicking around in my closet is perhaps the first lightweight backpack that was commercially available. The all-mesh, 1 lb Lynn Wheldon pack. I still use it once in a great while because of the sheer amount of volume.

Egads
07-29-2009, 06:26
Salomon Raid Revo - 20L

Osprey Stratos - 32L

Gossamer Gear G4 - 66 L

ULA Catalyst - 75 L

Ratchet-SectionHiker
07-29-2009, 07:11
I am currently looking at the Deuter Aircontact Lite 65+10, Granite Gear Vapor Trail 3600, Granite Gear Meridian Vapor, REI Ridgeline 65 and REI Flash 65. ANY REVIEWS ON THESE OR OTHER RECOMMENDATION?

I was also looking at the Deuter AirContact series. These are great buys and my finger twitched over the "Add to cart" button many times. I spent close to a week researching this pack since it would be my first real pack. I eventually decided on the Go Lite Quest pack. Mainly because of the weight to volume ratio and the 40% off sale on the Go Lite website. I love the Go Lite and have had absolutely no problems with it. It is really light but doesn't feel flimsy and I'm not afraid to throw it around. Basically the pack is only about 4 compartments so I usually use a few stuff sacks but this adds more flexibility to packing. I have some back pain issues and I felt like I needed a more substantial frame than a ULA could provide me.

Also, my wife has the REI Flash 65 and she loves it as well. She has had no problems and have seen quite a few thru-hikers carrying it this year. It also has alot of pockets, nooks & crannies, if you are the kind of person who likes to stay fairly organized. The only thing about the Flash is availability. Since it was Backpacker Editor choice this year, it has been hard to find any in stock.

Hope this helps

daddytwosticks
07-29-2009, 07:30
Osprey Aether 60 (2003 model)
Osprey Atmos 50 (2005 model)
ULA Conduit (2007 model)...looks like I'm DUE to get another pack...:)

lustreking
07-29-2009, 08:35
Just getting back into backpacking

Golite Lite-Speed
Camp Trails Catskill (left over from my scouting days)

cbost2678
07-29-2009, 08:37
Gregory Z 55
Camp Trails Mckinley from the good old BSA days

JaxHiker
07-29-2009, 09:15
I spent 3 hours trying on packs this past Sunday. In the end I went back and forth swapping weight from the Gregory Z55 and the Deuter. It was a tough choice. Both are very nice packs and pretty comparable in weight. The Z55 almost got the nod but the Deuter had more features that were important to me (like side bottle pockets) and it rode just a little higher making it a bit more comfortable.

I think either of these would've made a great pack but I think I made the right choice. I need to weigh the Deuter, though. If you look at their site it says 3 lbs 11 oz. which makes it just .3 oz more than the Z55. However, there is a spec sheet (and I think the catalog) that says 3 lbs 15 oz. While it's a negligible difference if it's the former than I shaved almost a full pound off the weight of my pack.

Frick Frack
07-29-2009, 09:33
Osprey Aether 70 for the tru hike and section hikes (a little extra room for luxuries when available...Dales Pale Ales & delicious vintage box wine), Osprey Stratos 25 for day hikes & over nighters, and a Millet Axiome 15 for commuting & moutain biking. The last time I used my Lowe Contour IV (what I started with!) was when I packed 3 full pump pots of hot coffee to the top of Springer for our wedding reception.....it could possibly carry everything I own now.......

fredmugs
07-29-2009, 10:56
I have 3 packs:

1. A 15 ounce Go Lite that's great for day hikes but not for overnighters because there is no waist belt. It's uncomfortable with 20 lbs in it.

2. I have this military pack (old woodland version) that works great but weighs 4.5 pounds:

http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=8816

3. I recently bought (don't flame me) a Swiss Gear backpack from Sam's Club. $48 for a fairly large 2 lb pack with a 3 liter hydration sleeve and a built in pack cover. I've used it twice so far and love it.

Pack fit is everything. 40 lbs in the military pack is much easier for me to hump than 20 pounds in the Go Lite.

sharky
07-29-2009, 12:24
I've currently been using the Osprey Aether 75, even though the outfitter I'm now realizing never fit me with the right sized harness. It definitely doesn't fit like it should and now they don't make the same type of harness for the Aether model that they did back in 2004.

Anyone ever use the Gregory Z65?

Berserker
07-29-2009, 12:50
My go to packs are:

ULA Circuit (just recently got this one, and plan to use it primarily in warm weather...but I'll be experimenting with it to see if I can fit my winter crap in it for shorter trips)
McHale Popcan (cold weather and bulkier loads)
Other packs I own:

GG Vapor Trail (just doesn't fit me that well)
Osprey Aether 60 (fits ok, but not as good as Circuit)
Osprey Crescent 90 (:eek: big and heavy)

beep
07-29-2009, 13:44
Primary Pack - loads up to 25 lbs - Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack
Secondary Pack - load up to 25 lbs (but more bulky (think cold weather clothing/bags/etc) - Granite Gear Vapor Trail
For loads over 25 lbs, I use a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone.

Ramble~On
07-29-2009, 13:55
I have a bunch of packs and they range in size.

I am hiking this year and using a ULA Catalyst....since I got it I am considering selling all my other packs when I get home. No joke.

Press
07-29-2009, 14:34
Granite Gear Meridian Vapor mostly but also a small Deuter for day and 1-2 day trips in the summer. It's really too small for me, but it has the frame that keeps it away from your back, that really works to keep you cooler, and it is extremely rugged plus I can stuff my tent - Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 - in the sleeping bag compartment and take only a sleeping bag liner in the summer.

medicjimr
07-29-2009, 14:37
Shhhhhhhhhh Kelty Redcloud 5000 don't tell the UTL crowd. But seriously it's my second pack I also have a Outdoor research external frame. both heavy will be changing over eventually.

Trooper
07-29-2009, 15:16
I've got a ULA Catalyst, Circuit, and a newly acquired Ohm. Absolutely love those packs! I've been stepping down a size every year in an effort to cut weight and volume out of my pack. They are tough as anything that ever bore the name "ultralight". However, they aren't really 'ultralight'. Instead, they are a fantastic balance between heavy and crazy light. Love em, love em, love em.
On the ULA website, for the Circuit, it says "Rec'd Base Weight: 15lbs or less." Does that mean that they are only recommending you carry a max 15 lbs in this pack, or carry at least 15 lbs?

medicjimr
07-29-2009, 15:38
On the ULA website, for the Circuit, it says "Rec'd Base Weight: 15lbs or less." Does that mean that they are only recommending you carry a max 15 lbs in this pack, or carry at least 15 lbs?

Rec'd is abbreviation of recommended so 15 lbs or less is the way I read it.

Berserker
07-29-2009, 15:45

From the FAQ on the ULA website regarding the suspension:

"The suspension hoop used in the Circuit is our minimal solution to transferring load between shoulder and hip. If you imagine an upside 'U' you get a sense of how the hoop is positioned and how it functions. The upper arch of the 'U' ties into the shoulder straps, while each leg of the 'U' ties into the hipbelt. These points of contact allow for a range of suspension flexibility while being rigid enough to support loads up to 35 lbs. In addition, because the suspension is located on the periphery of the pack body, and the backpanel is stiffened slightly with dual density foam, the result is a pack that can handle the load but does not dictate your body's movements --- but rather responds to how you move. Personally, when the loads are kept below 35 lbs, I find this pack to be the most comfortable in the ULA line-up."

Not sure where the 15 lb thing came from, but in my limited experience you could go from 0 - 30 lbs comfortably with the Circuit. I will note that I have only used mine with the optional stay installed. Not sure how it carries 30 lbs without the stay yet, but I'll be trying that soon.

Summit
07-29-2009, 15:48
Two internals - Gregory Whitney and older Gregory
Two externals - Jansport D3 and Kelty

Berserker
07-29-2009, 15:49
From the FAQ on the ULA website regarding the suspension:

"The suspension hoop used in the Circuit is our minimal solution to transferring load between shoulder and hip. If you imagine an upside 'U' you get a sense of how the hoop is positioned and how it functions. The upper arch of the 'U' ties into the shoulder straps, while each leg of the 'U' ties into the hipbelt. These points of contact allow for a range of suspension flexibility while being rigid enough to support loads up to 35 lbs. In addition, because the suspension is located on the periphery of the pack body, and the backpanel is stiffened slightly with dual density foam, the result is a pack that can handle the load but does not dictate your body's movements --- but rather responds to how you move. Personally, when the loads are kept below 35 lbs, I find this pack to be the most comfortable in the ULA line-up."

Not sure where the 15 lb thing came from, but in my limited experience you could go from 0 - 30 lbs comfortably with the Circuit. I will note that I have only used mine with the optional stay installed. Not sure how it carries 30 lbs without the stay yet, but I'll be trying that soon.
Oh crap, I see what you were talking about now. I think what is being said there is that the max recommended base weight is 15 lbs for the gear (i.e. not including food and water). There is also a max weight of 35 lbs listed right there too, and that would be for everything.

skinewmexico
07-29-2009, 15:50

Base weight - tent, sleeping bag, stove, clothes, etc.. Your gear less consumables (food and water). Max weight is 35# or less. If your base weight is over 15, odds are the volume won't be big enough is how I read that. Cool thing about ULA is, just call and Brian or Casey should answer the phone, and your question. Or email a phone number, and they'll call you.

winger
07-29-2009, 16:27
My experience is that the Ohm is best with less than 25 lbs and the Catalyst with 25 lbs and above.

Squeamish
07-29-2009, 16:48
Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian, love it!

Cannibal
07-29-2009, 16:59
My experience is that the Ohm is best with less than 25 lbs and the Catalyst with 25 lbs and above.
Agreed. I carried about 31 lbs in the Ohm for a day just to see how it would do. It carried it well, but wasn't nearly as comfortable as it is with a normal load in the low 20s.

Homer&Marje
07-29-2009, 17:04
Completely satisfied so far with my Osprey Atmos 65. Sub 4lb pack has plenty of room packed properly

Just Lisa
07-29-2009, 17:40
I have a Dueter pack made for women: ACT Lite 45+10...very happy with it and would recommend to anyone, although I've been told that I will hate the Top loading only feature about this pack after awhile....well, I guess we'll just have to see about that...
Lisa

Jonnycat
07-29-2009, 17:46
Nimbus ozone. It works when I backpack with the dog and take the 6# tent and a folding chair and it's like heaven when I have my lighter weight kit (and without the chair).

I had a vapor trail once but at resupply it left me hurting. My food weighs a lot.

Bad Co
07-29-2009, 17:58
Ospery Aether 70
Gregory Baltoro
never tried the ULA brand but want to

CrumbSnatcher
07-29-2009, 18:06
*kelty super tiogas
*50th year anniversary kelty external.

gregp
07-29-2009, 18:12
REI Flash 50

ULA Catalyst on order (should be here soon!)

brownc
07-30-2009, 06:21
Granite Gear Meridian Vapor

Trooper
07-30-2009, 09:21
REI Flash 50

ULA Catalyst on order (should be here soon!)
What's your opinion of the Flash 50? Any reason for going with the ULA Catalyst as opposed to upgrading to the Flash 65?

gregp
07-30-2009, 12:07
What's your opinion of the Flash 50? Any reason for going with the ULA Catalyst as opposed to upgrading to the Flash 65?

I can't say enough good things about the Flash 50. Lot's of pockets and places to stash stuff. Rides extremely well. I can honestly say that loaded up with 27 pounds, I did not notice it. Plenty big enough for summer hiking. Probably big enough for ULers to use in the winter.

I chose the Catalyst for late fall/ winter/ early spring for a number of reasons. Word of mouth being a main consideration as ULA packs get great reviews from lots of people. Lot's of folks whom I have a lot of respect for around here recommend them. I also really like the fact that I am helping to support the hiker community by purchasing from ULA. The fact that it's made in the US is also a factor, but most of all, I really like the design and features.

All that being said, I don't think you could go wrong with the Flash 65. They are well made, feature packed packs that ride very comfortably.

Wags
08-01-2009, 13:45
i have an exos 58, just picked up at the beginning of the summer, that i really like. it's convenient and simple - exactly how i like things. i've got @ 200 miles on it and it feels pretty good. carries 25-30 lbs no problem. roomie and weighs 2lb 3 oz

it's taken the place of my 75L aether (that i now will use during winter)
super roomy, can carry a lot comfortably, excellent hipbelt, but heavy 5lb 12oz

Summit
08-01-2009, 19:53
Once again I visited the local REI today, just spending time with my wife and I was showing/explaining the differences of various packs - pointing out weights of the light ones vs. comfort/sturdiness of the heavier ones. Looking very closely at the brands REI carries, I still say that the Gregory line wins hands down. Go-Lite is light weight, but the padding of the hip belt and suspension sucks. Other brands fall between that assessment and the top quality Gregory packs. I'll carry a couple of extra pounds for that quality and comfort.

Red River Falls
08-01-2009, 20:07
Osprey Atmos 65

skinewmexico
08-01-2009, 20:39
My GoLite Jam2 and Pinnacle perform great in the field, regardless of how their hip belt and suspension look on the rack in REI. Buy what fits, pack it correctly with the right gear, and almost any pack will work well.

Nasty Dog Virus
08-01-2009, 20:43
Internal frame Osprey Kestrel 48 (2900 ci) in the fall/spring/summer

External frame Kelty Trekker (3950 ci) for the winter

David@whiteblaze
08-03-2009, 08:41
I probably shouldn't put this, but I have recently acquired a Gregory Z55 pack. (If you look at this forum at all you should've noticed by now.) I haven't been able to field test it yet, but it appears to be good for a weekend hike at worst.

Jrickey
08-03-2009, 22:12
I just found this today at a goodwill store for 7 bucks!!!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2642660

Its in great shape. I plan to use the baby carrier for my sleeping bag, it fits great!

GeneralLee10
08-03-2009, 22:22
I have the Gregory Z65 http://www.gregorypacks.com/us/?option=com_gregorypacks&act=product&task=details&cid=27 . Nice pack

MikenSalem
08-03-2009, 22:56
Gregory Z55 Thought about the 65 but I don't need to carry any more weight anyway.

stranger
08-03-2009, 22:58
- Gregory Reality 1995 prototype
- Gregory Shasta (modified) 1996 prototype
- Dana Design Alpine 1994
- Arc'Teryx Bora 70 1997
- Gregory Makalu 1998
- Gregory Reality 2004
- ULA Catalyst 2007
- Osprey Aether 60 2007

Thank god I only paid for 3 of them!

Feral Bill
08-03-2009, 23:32
Mountain Master external from very early '70s, with a new waist belt from Eureka.
Mostly a loaner pack but really quite comfortable and well designed.

Old Dana Terraplane for heavy loads, as in Rocky Mountain winter trips, (not often), group leader needs, (no more), and for when my kids were young and I was the family mule. Heavy but crazy comfy.

Granite Gear Cornice. This was built as a ski pack and with ski straps off weighs just over three pounds. I bought it for a big day/ weekend pack but it works nicely for a weeks load . It needs somewhat careful packing and could use a couple of side pockets.

Jayboflavin04
08-04-2009, 07:10
I have an Osprey Aether 70. Comfy pack but heavy. I could easily drop my base wght with a new pack. I am gonna "look" at the ula packs while im in damascus.

GrubbyJohn
08-04-2009, 07:16
mountiansmith master external frame damn near bullit proof and holds at least 9 days worth of stock......

Ender
08-04-2009, 11:25
I currently have these backpacks in my rotation:

Arc'teryx Sebring - 1700ci. For dayhikes, or UL overnights
LuxuryLite - 4000ci. For leisurely hikes on established trails when I want to carry a bit more than normal.
North Face Thin Air - @4500+ci. My old standard internal pack. Great for all occasions, and not too heavy.
Osprey Atmos 50 - 3600ci. My current favorite. Light, comfy, great for hot weather. Pretty much have used this pack for every hiking trip since I bought it.

mister krabs
08-04-2009, 12:35
Here's my quiver, oldest to newest.

Gregory Reality ~4500 ci Wintertime "big pack." old and crusty, but still rides like a cadillac. I cannot kill it and will not throw it away.
Golite Jam 2 ~3100 ci Summertime big pack, fairly new. Got a deal on it. I like it for my current kit.
Outdoor Products Skyline 2320 ci Summertime small pack, used for long dayhikes and short weekends. I just got this and did a quick review on it here. (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2498) A ridiculous deal for 30$

Engine
08-04-2009, 13:00
Granite Gear Vapor Trail. Love it.

The wife uses a GoLite...don't remember the model.

neighbor dave
08-05-2009, 19:39
old mountainsmith auspex
been over 5000 miles and can easily do more
cost 'bout 160 bucks

Codger
08-06-2009, 13:56
Gregory Baltoro 70-- Just purchase a couple of months ago--seems to carry the weight extrmely well, approx 35# . Had an Osprey Atmos 50, hurt shoulders and hips.

Captain
08-07-2009, 08:01
NorthFace Crestone 60 it turned out to be free because the check i wrote the outfitter was never cashed... like i keep balancing and re balancing thinking " no no it has to be a mistake they had to have cashed it.." but im always up 250 dollars more than i should be. so that was cool

Greb
08-08-2009, 10:59
I have a big old mountainsmith pack I can carry my kitchen sink in. I just switched within the last year to the Starlyte and I love this pack. Extremely light but durable. I was unsuire about the webbing on outside but it is amazing for carrying quick to reach items and the side is perfect for carrying my Double Rainbow.

If you do get it, get the pouch pockets on the waistband.