PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Shoulder Straps

Del Q
07-28-2009, 19:51
While hiking early this morning, noticed squeaky sounds from my shoulder straps. Any advice on how to reduce or minimize?

Hikes in Rain
07-28-2009, 19:59
I'd be interested, too, because mine does the same thing. I tell people they're bear bells.

Kerosene
07-28-2009, 22:07
What brand of pack is it?

BobTheBuilder
07-28-2009, 22:21
Have you tried sleeping in?

Tinker
07-28-2009, 23:33
Attach a mouse trap to each one. That'll take care of it. :)

Stryder
07-28-2009, 23:54
I have noticed squeaky sounds from my pack before as well. I have a ULA conduit and I notice the sounds more as my pack gets lighter. It seems that the more I cinch down my roll top the more it is pulling at the top of my sleeping pad that I am using for my pack frame. So with the roll top pulling away from my back and my shoulder straps wanting to pull it back the opposite way, I get a squeak from my pad. My fix was to just not cinch down my roll top closure so tight and it seemed to help greatly.

Stormcrow

Del Q
07-29-2009, 04:59
ULA Pack as well, great tip, will try it in a few minutes, waiting for the sun to paint the sky so I can go out walking before work. Getting prepped for Fall hike to MA/VT.

The Weasel
07-29-2009, 10:17
I take out my hearing aid.

TW

Old Grouse
07-29-2009, 11:19
I take out my hearing aid.

TW
What did he say?

Blissful
07-29-2009, 11:49
Mine squeaks too. Just ignore it and enjoy the birds. :)

Elder
07-29-2009, 12:12
My straps do not squeek any louder than I do...:rolleyes:

neighbor dave
07-29-2009, 12:32
pour some water on 'em.

neighbor dave
07-29-2009, 12:33
for straps that slip put a small amount of pine sap on the strap, works great

Del Q
07-30-2009, 20:36
GREAT SERVICE FROM THE PEOPLE AT ULA...............This is what they shared with me.

Hello. Thanks for bringing my attention to your concern. The noise you experience could be from a few different places. Sometimes it is the framesheet, the aluminum stays (possibly oxidized some) or the hipbelt that is rubbing. Usually it is related to the frame as it flexes under weight of pack’s load. I would suggest taking off and out your hipbelt, framesheet and stays*. Wiping them down with water and drying (cleaning off oxidization on stays if present). Then use some silicon spray / baby powder to lubricate pack parts that seem to be rubbing (lightly on edge of stays, lightly over framesheet, possible applied to packs sleeve for framesheet).

�A lubricate (baby powder) will last for some time. Lubricates, when used with any non-sealed moving parts, overtime will wear off or disperse. Some lubricates will last longer than others (i.e. possibly Silicon Spray over Baby Powder, I don’t have any research which is longer lasting). Is it a quick fix? No. Will it need to be reapplied some day? How soon? TBD: too many variables to control for in making an assessment. I would encourage you to experiment and see if the baby powder satisfies your needs for noise reduction.

*be mindful how the framesheet is installed in the sleeve, especially at the bottom end, there is a ‘pocket’ / envelope that it will be in when installed correctly.

Del Q
07-30-2009, 20:36
GREAT SERVICE FROM THE PEOPLE AT ULA...............This is what they shared with me.

Hello. Thanks for bringing my attention to your concern. The noise you experience could be from a few different places. Sometimes it is the framesheet, the aluminum stays (possibly oxidized some) or the hipbelt that is rubbing. Usually it is related to the frame as it flexes under weight of pack’s load. I would suggest taking off and out your hipbelt, framesheet and stays*. Wiping them down with water and drying (cleaning off oxidization on stays if present). Then use some silicon spray / baby powder to lubricate pack parts that seem to be rubbing (lightly on edge of stays, lightly over framesheet, possible applied to packs sleeve for framesheet).

�A lubricate (baby powder) will last for some time. Lubricates, when used with any non-sealed moving parts, overtime will wear off or disperse. Some lubricates will last longer than others (i.e. possibly Silicon Spray over Baby Powder, I don’t have any research which is longer lasting). Is it a quick fix? No. Will it need to be reapplied some day? How soon? TBD: too many variables to control for in making an assessment. I would encourage you to experiment and see if the baby powder satisfies your needs for noise reduction.

*be mindful how the framesheet is installed in the sleeve, especially at the bottom end, there is a ‘pocket’ / envelope that it will be in when installed correctly.

Chaco Taco
08-01-2009, 19:39
My Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian is a loud squeeker as well. Its a bit irritating but Id like to remedy it.

saimyoji
08-01-2009, 20:31
my old llbean pack squeaked today for the first time. it went away after i had sweated into it some. :)

Summit
08-01-2009, 22:51
I think all packs develop a squeak from time to time. Take it off . . . throw it down a steep ravine into a creek. Retrieve it . . . should be fine after that! :eek: :p

stranger
08-02-2009, 08:38
Most packs will start to squeak at some stage, this is normally due to the drying out of pack fabrics. Generally speaking,your pack will not squeak on rainy days or days when it's damp (one of the many benefits of rain!), but can be quite the loud irritant on those dry, clear days.

Sometimes it can be items inside your pack that are squeaking, rubbing against each other, so re-packing might help. Other times it can be the webbing rubbing against the nylon casing over your shoulder harness or hipbelt or from rubbing against the poly buckles - however, moist webbing doesn't seem to squeak.

I've been on a mission to have a silent pack for many years now, and that's why I don't mind the rainy days... silence! As someone mentioned earlier, just pour water over your shoulder straps, webbing and hipbelt on those hot, sunny days, and you may find this problem goes away. You may also have to do this a few times during the day.

If anyone finds a better solution - I'm all ears!

Del Q
08-02-2009, 10:03
Guess what, the ULA Customer Service tips WORKED! Took out the stays, frame sheet, and inner pad, dusted them with good ole Gold Bond, almost no "squeaking" yesterday. Agree on the wet/damp comments, kind of like finding a squeak in your car, in this case I think it may have been more from inside than the straps.