PDA

View Full Version : Question

GeneralLee10
07-28-2009, 20:31
I am planing to do the 1st 30mi of the AT, hope to get the time off in a few weeks. My question is that I am not sure about a ride back to Amicalola Falls SP from Neels Gap. The Companion says you can leave your vehicle if your a long distance Hiker next to the visitors center. Would Hiking from the SP to Neels Gap be considered long distance? would to me. Is there a shuttle service in or close to Neels Gap that will drive me back to th SP?

Lone Wolf
07-28-2009, 20:34
I am planing to do the 1st 30mi of the AT, hope to get the time off in a few weeks. My question is that I am not sure about a ride back to Amicalola Falls SP from Neels Gap. The Companion says you can leave your vehicle if your a long distance Hiker next to the visitors center. Would Hiking from the SP to Neels Gap be considered long distance? would to me. Is there a shuttle service in or close to Neels Gap that will drive me back to th SP?

anybody can leave a car there for any length of time. pirate or cool breeze at neel gap can shuttle you back or the hitch is fairly easy

emerald
07-28-2009, 20:47
Appalachian Trail Shuttles & Public Transportation (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%207-09-09.pdf) (*.pdf)

Trailweaver
07-29-2009, 01:16
I highly recommend the Hiker Hostel people - Josh and Leigh Saint - who do a shuttle anywhere along the trail in GA. You can also leave your vehicle at the hostel. They will take you to your start and pick you up at the end, wherever it is. Phone number is 770/312-7342. Rates can't be beat for an overnight at the hostel, either.

Jack Tarlin
07-29-2009, 13:14
Since you're considering hiring a shuttler during your trip anyway, here's another possibility:

*Go directly to Neel Gap
*Leave your vehicle THERE at the parking lot near the Trail crossing
*Have one of the folks who works there drive you to Springer
*Then, you walk North from there back to Neels

Advantages to this:

*You get the shuttle out of the way at the outset, and won't have to worry
about finding a driver/ride once you get there
*Your car will be waiting for you at trip's end, regardless of what time of day
you arrive
*You can catch a shower or light meal at Neel Gap, and then proceed home
from there, without having to drive back to Amicalola Falls Park. You get
out of the woods and your car is there waiting for you. Simple!

Bad Co
07-29-2009, 18:03
I would check the rates for a taxi first
my experence has been a taxi is far less than anyone at Neels Gap

gregp
07-29-2009, 18:19
Since you're considering hiring a shuttler during your trip anyway, here's another possibility:

*Go directly to Neel Gap

Advantages to this:

you arrive

I am planning to do this exact same hike over labor day Jack. Will my car be safe at Neels?

Lone Wolf
07-29-2009, 20:02
I am planning to do this exact same hike over labor day Jack. Will my car be safe at Neels?

there's no overnight parking at neel gap. there's parking a half mile west at byron reece memorial parking area

Hooch
07-29-2009, 20:40
I would check the rates for a taxi first
my experence has been a taxi is far less than anyone at Neels Gap

You'll pay a lot more for a taxi from Neel Gap to AFSP than you would for a shuttle. Generally, you can count on paying between $75-$85 for a shuttle to AFSP, whereas a taxi will probably cost you quite a bit more. The prices are up to the individual driving the shuttle driver, so call and check before you go.

deadhorsejoe
07-29-2009, 21:24
Indwlkr

My son and I did this section last year. We left our car at Amicalola, got a shuttle up to Neel Gap from Jeff at Hiker Hostel and hiked south back to the car. Amicalola is a safe place to leave the car. Don't remember the cost of the shuttle but believe it was around 65 or 70 bucks.

deadhorsejoe
07-29-2009, 21:25
Josh at Hiker Hostel not Jeff

GeneralLee10
07-29-2009, 22:21

*Go directly to Neel Gap

Advantages to this:

you arrive

Indwlkr

My son and I did this section last year. We left our car at Amicalola, got a shuttle up to Neel Gap from Jeff at Hiker Hostel and hiked south back to the car. Amicalola is a safe place to leave the car. Don't remember the cost of the shuttle but believe it was around 65 or 70 bucks.

Both are good idea's and I have done this type of deal here at home just had a family member help me out. If the cost is around 60 to 70 bucks I mite just ask for more time off and walk back.:-? As I do have plenty of that built up:D

Birkin
07-30-2009, 13:33
I'm planning on doing Springer to Neels Gap Labor Day weekend as well with 3 buddies of mine. We've been trying to decide which end we wanted to park the car. I think we settled on AFSP so we could hike as much (or little) as we want depending on how our out of shape bodies feel, and not worry about making miles. We could always take it SUPER easy and pull out in Suches. Also, splitting a shuttle amongst 4 people will make it much more affordable.

GeneralLee10
07-30-2009, 22:03
I'm planning on doing Springer to Neels Gap Labor Day weekend as well with 3 buddies of mine. We've been trying to decide which end we wanted to park the car. I think we settled on AFSP so we could hike as much (or little) as we want depending on how our out of shape bodies feel, and not worry about making miles. We could always take it SUPER easy and pull out in Suches. Also, splitting a shuttle amongst 4 people will make it much more affordable.

Orlando cool, I am not very far from there only about 30min. N. I will have to look into the work schedule Labor Day mite be good for me also. What are the days you will be taking? I was thinking drive up mite be on a Thursday and drive back on a Tuesday.

Birkin
07-31-2009, 07:59
Orlando cool, I am not very far from there only about 30min. N. I will have to look into the work schedule Labor Day mite be good for me also. What are the days you will be taking? I was thinking drive up mite be on a Thursday and drive back on a Tuesday.

That's exactly what we're planning on doing. I'm meeting my 3 buddies in Tampa and we're going to leave out Thurs 6am, returning Tuesday.

Jack Tarlin
07-31-2009, 11:26
I'm pretty sure it's fine to leave a car at Byron Reece for a few days; people do it all the time. Any doubts about this, call Winton at Mountain Crossings.