PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrator 101 - Store Bought Hummus

Dicentra
07-29-2009, 12:09
Yes, I know I can make hummus very easily at home. I wanted to illustrate how easy it is to take store bought items and turn them into hiker-friendly food. Hummus is just one example. (There will be more to come...)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3501/3743045468_7924e28354.jpg

I took a tub of Trader Joe's hummus (this stuff is excellent - very creamy!) and spread it as thinly as I could on a fruit roll tray. I set the dehydrator to about 140* and let it run for a few hours (4-5? I forgot to time it!) until there were no damp spots and the hummus crumbled nicely in my fingers.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3419/3743045546_e2b0801d46.jpg

All packaged up and ready for the trail in a zip lock bag. Hummus is great for so many things! Use it as a dip with veggies, spread it on crackers or tortillas, mix it with instant black beans for even more fiber and protein...

To rehydrate, mix the powdered hummus and water in about a 1:1 ration. Use more or less water depending on how thick you would like your hummus.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2562/3768397983_ee7d869bee.jpg

LaurieAnn
07-29-2009, 12:16
Yes, hummus and similar legume and bean based dips take between 4 and 6 hours. It's quite delicious on rye bread crisps such as Ryvita and they hold up well in the pack.

Ewker
07-29-2009, 12:24
thanks that is a good idea

LaurieAnn
07-29-2009, 13:06
Ewker - you can also do this with other dips such as commercially available Baba Ghanouj and Red Pepper Hummus. However, if the dip/spread has too high of an oil content you'll want to use it in the cooler weather or early in your trip lest it go rancid.

Dogwood
07-29-2009, 16:07
Sure, you can dehydrate hummus at home, but why not just look for rather inexpensive dried hummus often sold in bulk bins in places like Whole Foods, EarthFare, or the local co-op? Quick, easy, relatively inexpensive, buy just the amount you need, and just needs to be mixed with water to prepare!

LaurieAnn
07-29-2009, 16:23
Dogwood - we've used a brand by India House that was quite good. Just added water and olive oil on the trail. That said, sometimes I like to flavor my hummus or use different legumes and I generally make a lot of it at a time. Doing it that way is considerably less expensive.

Dicentra
07-29-2009, 16:24
Sure, you can dehydrate hummus at home, but why not just look for rather inexpensive dried hummus often sold in bulk bins in places like Whole Foods, EarthFare, or the local co-op? Quick, easy, relatively inexpensive, buy just the amount you need, and just needs to be mixed with water to prepare!

That works too, if you can find it. Fantastic Foods makes a good one.

My point was to illustrate that you can take grocery store items and dry them. Gourmet flavors etc... I just happened to pick a plain one this time... Whole foods makes an avocado hummus that is to DIE for... I might have to try and dry that and see if it is too oily/fatty or if it would work.

Ewker
07-29-2009, 16:27

I went to the local Whole Foods here and they suck. Their bulk bin section is 2/3 smaller than what Wild Oats had. No couscous, hummus, dehydrated refried beans or black beans or mixed veggies

Ewker
07-29-2009, 16:29
I forgot to mention that the local one doesn't even carry the Fantastic Foods brand at all nor did they carry the laughing cow Babybells or the wedges.

Snowleopard
07-29-2009, 16:31
I haven't liked the commercial dehydrated hummus I've found here.
Guess I'll have to dry my own.
P.S. If anyone here lives near Worcester, there are great middle eastern and Greek delis.
Ed Hyder's and Bahnan's are my favorites.

Dicentra
07-29-2009, 16:36
I went to the local Whole Foods here and they suck. Their bulk bin section is 2/3 smaller than what Wild Oats had. No couscous, hummus, dehydrated refried beans or black beans or mixed veggies

I don't think we have Wild Oats here... Maybe in Spokane? Lots of other choices though. Even the Fred Meyer's has an okay bulk section.

Dicentra
07-29-2009, 16:38
I haven't liked the commercial dehydrated hummus I've found here. Guess I'll have to dry my own.

One of the bennies of drying your own. You get to eat what you like.

Sometimes it's nice to be lazy and just dump something on the dehydrator trays (as opposed to making it yourself from scratch). Easy Peasy!

Dogwood
07-29-2009, 16:38
Gotcha folks. Just trying to provide options.

Keep looking Ewker. I feel confident you can find dried hummus. Many grocery stores carry the Fantastic Food line.

spindle
07-29-2009, 16:41
You're going to force me to buy a dehydrator yet, aren't you?

The Mediterranean Deli near me makes a garlic hummus in house I'd wrestle little old ladies for see...

Thanks.

Dicentra
07-29-2009, 16:54
You're going to force me to buy a dehydrator yet, aren't you?

The Mediterranean Deli near me makes a garlic hummus in house I'd wrestle little old ladies for see...

Thanks.

Come out here. I'll feed ya.

I was just thinkin... that Avocado hummus would go really well with BACON... I need to go shopping.

Ewker
07-29-2009, 17:06
I don't think we have Wild Oats here..

Whole Foods bought out Wild Oats

we call Whole Foods...Whole Paycheck :(

Dicentra
07-29-2009, 17:24
Whole Foods bought out Wild Oats

we call Whole Foods...Whole Paycheck :(

So do we!

I only go there 1-2 times a year... and for very specific things. LOVE the bulk bins, but they are dangerous.

LaurieAnn
07-29-2009, 19:50

Lack of availability in smaller cities and towns is precisely why I got back into food dehydration in the first place. Then there is the cost... today for example... I made 6 kinds of hummus-like dips and spreads and my total cost is about $14. Each batch made 2 to 2.5 cups which works out to about $1 per cup or $1.06 per cup if you count in the electricity costs. With crackers or flatbread 1 cup feeds the 3 of us for a lunch. That's a mere $0.35 per serving and I control the ingredients and the taste.

Doctari
07-29-2009, 22:17
That works too, if you can find it. Fantastic Foods makes a good one.

My point was to illustrate that you can take grocery store items and dry them. Gourmet flavors etc... I just happened to pick a plain one this time... Whole foods makes an avocado hummus that is to DIE for... I might have to try and dry that and see if it is too oily/fatty or if it would work.

This is a great tip.

Also: you can take your favorite restaurant dish & dry it. I am always amazed at how much this surprises experienced hikers “YOU CAN DRY RESTAURANT FOOD TO EAT ON THE TRAIL???!?!?!” is the usual response. Yep, I know all caps is at least talking loud.
My favorite is Indian food as most from the Indian place I eat at is at least stew like requiring minimal prep in the form of cutting the larger pieces to dryable size.
Like wings? My local wings place will let me have them without sauce on em & a few cups of sauce on the side. I pull the meat off, put it in a bowl, cover with sauce & dry as usual. Prep time about 30 - 45 minutes or so for 24 wings. A small pack of ranch dressing for use on the trail is WOW!

I think the point to this thread is: use your imagination.

Dicentra
07-29-2009, 22:31
Exactly Doctari!!! :)

LaurieAnn
07-29-2009, 22:37
Doctari,

Imagination is a great thing and it can often bring about some pleasant surprises. I find that great cooks aren't afraid to think outside the box.

We've dried meals from other cooks before... an example, Chana and it was great. It was from our favorite restaurant, Taal. I've also done that with hummus and baba ghanouj from a Lebanese place. The chef would make it for me with little olive oil and I'd just add some at camp. Sadly that place went out of business but he was sweet enough to teach me some recipes.

The wing idea is a wonderful one. I might just have to try that someday.

One thing we have done before, on my own forums, is have a cooking challenge. Two ingredients and everyone who wants to participate creates a recipe that includes both. It was quite fun to see what everyone came up with. If there was enough interest I could start that here too. We basically put all sorts of ideas into two hats. One was a protein and the other a fruit or veggie. A name was drawn from each. There were no winners and no losers... just for fun and it was really inspiring.

J5man
07-29-2009, 22:38
"I took a tub of Trader Joe's hummus (this stuff is excellent - very creamy!) and spread it as thinly as I could on a fruit roll tray. I set the dehydrator to about 140* and let it run for a few hours (4-5? I forgot to time it!) until there were no damp spots and the hummus crumbled nicely in my fingers. "

Trader Joe's rocks!!! I love that place. Great place to get freeze dried fruit too.

Dogwood
07-29-2009, 22:54
There is another one of those ideas. Has anyone ever tried to dehydrate avocado? You people are making me hungry. Avocado hummus. Hummm!

Dicentra
07-29-2009, 22:59
There is another one of those ideas. Has anyone ever tried to dehydrate avocado? You people are making me hungry. Avocado hummus. Hummm!

I haven't, but Sarbar has...

Avocados have a lot of fat so it is something that needs to be eaten right away. (not stored/shipped long term)

LaurieAnn
07-29-2009, 23:10

I've used avocado in dips where it wasn't the main ingredient and it dehydrated quite well... I've also just made the sacrifice for weight and carried one. I usually buy one that needs to ripen and if packaged correctly it will last about four days in the pack. I use it in one of my trail salads and it's a real treat. The weight isn't a big deal though as there are three of us sharing it in the salad.

Dogwood
07-29-2009, 23:24
I vote that the NWT be extended to Dicentra's house in Seattle and to Laurie Ann's house in Ontario. This way no matter which direction you hiked you could start off with a good meal or celebrate the finish of your hike with great food.

Dicentra
07-29-2009, 23:39
I vote that the NWT be extended to Dicentra's house in Seattle and to Laurie Ann's house in Ontario. This way no matter which direction you hiked you could start off with a good meal or celebrate the finish of your hike with great food.

Just jump on the PCT. It's only an hour or so away from me. :)

LaurieAnn
07-30-2009, 06:14

Or you could just plan to be on the trail when I will be there and we can meet up. With some advance notice I could spoil you rotten with a good meal mid-hike. We don't eat all that differently, quality-wise, on the trail than we do at home. I'm of the mind that trail food can be tasty, lightweight and easy if you put in a little effort at home prior to the trip.

Hoop Time
08-08-2009, 22:34
I haven't liked the commercial dehydrated hummus I've found here.
Guess I'll have to dry my own.
P.S. If anyone here lives near Worcester, there are great middle eastern and Greek delis.
Ed Hyder's and Bahnan's are my favorites.

I get to Worcester a few times a year usually for HC basketball. Thanks for the tips. I don't know any good local places there.

Wise Old Owl
08-09-2009, 13:19
This is a great tip.

Also: you can take your favorite restaurant dish & dry it. I am always amazed at how much this surprises experienced hikers “YOU CAN DRY RESTAURANT FOOD TO EAT ON THE TRAIL???!?!?!” is the usual response. Yep, I know all caps is at least talking loud.
My favorite is Indian food as most from the Indian place I eat at is at least stew like requiring minimal prep in the form of cutting the larger pieces to dryable size.
Like wings? My local wings place will let me have them without sauce on em & a few cups of sauce on the side. I pull the meat off, put it in a bowl, cover with sauce & dry as usual. Prep time about 30 - 45 minutes or so for 24 wings. A small pack of ranch dressing for use on the trail is WOW!

I think the point to this thread is: use your imagination.

Wait a minute - with mixed results!

You are right about cutting into smaller pieces - but sometimes rehydrating turns to EWWWWW!:D

LaurieAnn
08-10-2009, 11:24
Talking about rehydrating turning to "EWWWWW!"... it's a good thing I triple test all of my recipes before they are worthy enough to make my books (after all I have the odd mishap). My recent rehydration test of the asparagus dip was, well, EWWWWW! It's just one of those things that intensifies when dried. So always do a taste test before you take it on the trail. We dipped into our emergency stores for lunch that day.... lol. Oops.