PDA

View Full Version : Five Finger Shoes?

Shutterbug
07-29-2009, 12:49
Last week I was at a Farmers Market. One of the booths was selling "Five Finger Shoes." I had not previously seen them. The lady claimed that they are great for hiking.

Then, as I was looking at the photos of the erection of the new Katahdin sign, one of the pictures showed someone wearing the Five Finger Shoes.

Do any of you have experience with them? They look like they would be great for camp, but I don't know about wearing them on the trail?

AtomicLlama
07-29-2009, 13:05
One of my friends wore them on our raft trip through Cataract Canyon in Utah. We did several short hikes during that trip and he said the he could feel every rock through them, and also that his feet got extremely hot from walking on the warm desert rocks.

ChinMusic
07-29-2009, 13:14
I think they should be called Five-toe Shoes.

Monster13
07-29-2009, 13:31
They look like they would be pretty uncomfortable. More like gloves for feet. I have really long toes too, so I doubt they'd make any that would fit me right.

Cannibal
07-29-2009, 13:32
Don't fit me. My second toe is longer than my big toe; big problem with the Five Finger style. Sucks too because I like the concept of walking on the balls of your feet instead of the heel. More natural stride.

Frick Frack
07-29-2009, 13:33
I saw a thru hiker, appropriately named "Bare Foot" (or "Bear Foot"?), who wore them most of the way northbound last year.

bigmac_in
07-29-2009, 13:41
Those things are just plain stupid.

jrnj5k
07-29-2009, 13:43
i have them and they are great. Can be used for hiking but you would need to wear them for a while to get used to it first. They fix many of the problems shoes cause.

Lone Wolf
07-29-2009, 13:44
why ain't they called 5 toed shoes

Bad Co
07-29-2009, 18:00
UGLY as Hell but I like mine

take-a-knee
07-29-2009, 18:46
A lot of Crossfitters swear by them for their workouts, I've seen several folks with them at 5K runs. I would never try to hike with a pack wearing them, I don't see a need to go more minimal than trail runners for hiking. I do plan to get a pair for working out though. The lower you can get your heels, the more you can deadlift.

dmax
07-29-2009, 19:52
I guess sock are out of the question. At least my smartwools.

Blissful
07-29-2009, 19:55

Glad someone else said it...
I was thinking the same thing. I sure wouldn't want to jam each toe in them. Ugh :)

STICK
07-29-2009, 22:18
I want to get some for my fiance to use as water/camp shoes. She really likes them, and I wouldnt mind having some but I think I would go with some Chacos if I were to spend that much for a pair of camp shoes, for me. But maybe after I had the Chacos.....

J5man
07-29-2009, 22:42
They look like condoms for feet

JJJ
07-29-2009, 22:59
I've had foot problems related to running for the past couple of years.
I tried several things, orthonics, stretching, etc, but cutting back mileage and switching and rebuilding on the Vibrams and other minimal cushioned shoes seemed to do the most for me.
The theory being strenghtening the feet will ultimately serve you better than trying to protect them with more cushion.
The transition period is going to vary person to person quiet a bit.
As for backpacking with them, I haven't done that, but I'm about ready to give it a try.
I like the feel of barefoot, maybe some people don't.

drastic_quench
07-30-2009, 00:44
They're great for the two things they do. They allow you to walk essentially barefoot without fear of sharp stuff, and they allow the muscles in your foot to fully develop and strengthen in a way they can't in shoes.

If hiking barefoot would appeal to you except you don't want to risk hurting the soles of your feet, these are perfect for you. Your walking and stride will change just like it would if you were barefoot on the trail. In boots you can just clomp along, but with these you're more mindful of your footfalls. Some people really dig that because they feel more "grounded". So if you're a clomp along and zone out type walker you'll hate 'em.

They don't make good camp shoes. They just aren't built for rest and openness.

Maddog
07-30-2009, 03:27
i have two pair of http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/ (KSO and FLOW). once you break them in and your feet get used to them they are amazing! very comfortable! and "yes" you can get socks for them(INJINJI)!

OldStormcrow
07-30-2009, 08:20
Those things were originally designed to be more of a portage shoe for boaters than an actual hiking shoe. While they do keep your feet from being poked with rocks and acorns, they don't offer enough arch support or padding to be considered for hiking.....unless you have gotten so ultra-light that you don't even carry a pack anymore!

Homer&Marje
07-30-2009, 08:57
Anyone ever use them for rock climbing? Bet my older brother would love a pair for that...are they a soft material or kind of rubbery on the bottom?

OldStormcrow
07-30-2009, 09:15
The tops are made of the same sort of neoprene stuff that scuba boots are made of. Some models cover a good bit of the tops of your feet and other models barely cover the tops. The soles are made of fairly stiff, but thin, black rubber. They probably would make good climbing shoes, although not very durable ones.

sharky
07-30-2009, 11:24
They are great for runners, but you have to be pretty hardcore. I coach a few athletes who swear by them because it forces them to run up on the balls of their feet

RITBlake
07-30-2009, 14:35

Actually, they're just plain smart:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/07/barefoot/

RITBlake
07-30-2009, 14:36
Man was NEVER meant to walk with a big chunk of rubber under the heel of their foot. These five fingers shoes make perfect sense.

summermike
07-30-2009, 14:51
Man was NEVER meant to walk with a big chunk of rubber under the heel of their foot.

Since most of us grew up that way it isn't possible to just switch over to no support, especially while hiking.

I agree that growing children should spend as much time barefoot as possible.

drastic_quench
07-30-2009, 15:16
Since most of us grew up that way it isn't possible to just switch over to no support, especially while hiking.

I agree that growing children should spend as much time barefoot as possible.
Of course it's possible, unless your family was into Japanese foot binding. You simply build strength in your feet over a month or two. Shoes only need arc support because that's the foot's natural shape (for most) - so arc support is really just about ergonomic fit. It isn't actually needed for support. Same thing with healthy ankles. Once the muscles and tendons are strengthened, it's enough to support the joint.

Homer&Marje
07-30-2009, 15:47
Pretty sure it was the Chinese who used to bind female childrens feet. Not the Japanese.

Yep...Thanks Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding

summermike
07-30-2009, 16:39
Of course it's possible,

The alignment in my ankles, knees and hips disagree with you. It's not just about your feet.

spindle
07-30-2009, 17:34
They're creepy looking. Can't see that they'd provide enough support or protection.

The PA rocks would shred them.

drastic_quench
07-30-2009, 21:38
The PA rocks would shred them.
Vibram is tough stuff. It's what they use on some of the best boots.

CowHead
07-31-2009, 14:51
Vibram is tough stuff. It's what they use on some of the best boots.

and PA rocks would shred them.

OldStormcrow
07-31-2009, 15:46
The thickest part of the sole is only about 1/4 inch thick and it has virtually no effective tread pattern.....it's a river shoe.

Bidwell
07-31-2009, 19:49
I've used these for boating, hiking, running, around town, etc. I wouldn't go backpacking with them, but I've done quite a few runs in them (up to 10 miles on some pretty rocky trails). They are comfortable and make you feel "free". They are also very durable.

Calling these shoes "stupid" is simply close-minded! Y'all should give em a try.

eight769
08-01-2009, 03:33
I did a 16 mile loop in Talladega NF with the KSOs, including a few miles downhill over rocks and stuff. Granted I have perfect feet and never ever get blisters.
I tend to hike slightly faster with them, and I always find myself looking down at the ground in front instead of enjoying whats around me. Otherwise the feeling of the earth beneath your feet is fantastic.. in a sort of weird spiritual metaphysical kinda way.

BTW the looks from others are priceless.

BigCat
08-01-2009, 08:50
I was talking to the track coaches here in the athletic department and they love them. There's also quite a bit of research showing that using a minimum amount of cushioning will almost instantly correct your form and can reverse years of foot, ankle and leg issues. They do look weird though.

Bad Co
08-01-2009, 09:46
I hiked a section from Woody Gap to Neels Gap in them while it was raining
my feet and legs never felt better and traction was excellent on the rocks but I only carried a 18 lbs pack
Very weird looking though

JF2CBR
08-01-2009, 10:46
I think a company called Injinji makes socks that have the 5 toes just like these shoes. I wonder what they'd be like with the comparable socks.

I'm buying a pair of these on Monday, sort of a field test for my Katahdin summit next week!

Shutterbug
08-01-2009, 11:54
I hiked a section from Woody Gap to Neels Gap in them while it was raining
my feet and legs never felt better and traction was excellent on the rocks but I only carried a 18 lbs pack
Very weird looking though

Thanks to all who have responded. It seems that those who have actually tried them have mostly positive things to say, while those who haven't tried them have quite a few good reasons not to.

I guess I will have to try a pair, so I can decide for myself. I will report back.

Wags
08-01-2009, 13:32
i agree they're great for kayaking. i saw a kid wearing them our last trip out. he liked em for the river.

i wear montrail hardrocks or some vasque's w/ vibram soles (and that vibram sole is at least 3x the thickness of the 5 fingers) that my feet take a beating on along PA's ridgelines. there's many places where you can watch where you place your feet all you want, but you're going to step on sharp rocks. i wouldn't want to wear these carrying any sort of weight along the trail.

they'd be nice for state parks and the like though

Wrangler88
08-01-2009, 13:37
I just got a pair of the KSO style a few days ago. They're very comfortable. I've kept them on all day and have forgotten that I have them on. I went running in them this morning and all was well. I've even ran down my gravel driveway and the sole, while thin, does an excelent job. Didn't feel much. As for backpacking, I definately wouldn't be carrying much weight but I havn't tried it out yet. I plan on it this next week and I'll let you know how it goes.

And as far as the way they look ... well, the comments from others are worth the comfort in my opinion.

Wise Old Owl
08-01-2009, 16:13
I've used these for boating, hiking, running, around town, etc. I wouldn't go backpacking with them, but I've done quite a few runs in them (up to 10 miles on some pretty rocky trails). They are comfortable and make you feel "free". They are also very durable.

Calling these shoes "stupid" is simply close-minded! Y'all should give em a try.

I'm not calling it stupid, but have you ever stubbed your little toe? I won't be hiking in them anytime soon.:D

Bidwell NOBODY posted "Stupid" you read the bottom of a previous post that had nothing to do with the thread - It was a quote!

humunuku
08-02-2009, 15:48
I have KSO's, I hiked the AT from russel field to Gregory bald yesterday in them with my overnight gear - they felt great. actually felt like I had a little spring in my step.

Still don't like them on paved surfaces though

timebreaks
08-09-2009, 14:46
A little info on FiveFingers from one of my climbing friends that has them: good for smearing, bad for edging, REALLY bad for jamming (there's no protection for the top of your foot). If you're already using a soft, slipper-type shoe for bouldering and the like, you might want to try them.

I had tried on a pair a few months back, and was pretty disappointed that they didn't fit my feet. They've come out with a women's model since then, but I haven't seen it in stores to try on yet. I'd be really interested in trying these out on the trail!

Bad Co
08-09-2009, 15:30
Stubbing the toes seems to be a concern here
My experience is that I for one have not stubbed my toe while barefoot in my adult life
However there have been times that I have not picked my feet up high enough to get over a rock or root with my boots on thus stubbing or tripping whatever you want to call it
it seems for me anyway that the mind just knows how far to pick up the naked foot

rlharris
09-19-2009, 10:25
I was on the staff for the Reach the Beach relay race (200 miles, 24 hours from Canon Mountain to Hampton Beach) yesterday. One of the runners was wearing Vibram Five Fingers. He really liked them for running but did say it took a while to to used to them.

Wrangler88
09-19-2009, 11:16
I've been wearing mine everyday since I got them ... I don't know, maybe a couple months ago. I love them. They're so comfortable.

There are three downsides that I've found, they start to smell. I've washed them once, then they started smelling after only a few days.

When it rains a lot, and the grounds real wet, your shoes and feet are going to get wet, and stay wet.

Lastly, it's started to get real annoying having people ask me about them. It was real cool at first. Now, everytime I go out, I have to explain that they're shoes and not toe socks and then it just goes from there. Grocery store, school, bus ... you name it. People are curious.

Wise Old Owl
09-19-2009, 11:26
I've been wearing mine everyday since I got them ... I don't know, maybe a couple months ago. I love them. They're so comfortable.

There are three downsides that I've found, they start to smell. I've washed them once, then they started smelling after only a few days.

When it rains a lot, and the grounds real wet, your shoes and feet are going to get wet, and stay wet.

Lastly, it's started to get real annoying having people ask me about them. It was real cool at first. Now, everytime I go out, I have to explain that they're shoes and not toe socks and then it just goes from there. Grocery store, school, bus ... you name it. People are curious.

Well that post just killed it for me, I have seen the Wilmington Trail Club use them, and I know wet feet = blisters.

Invest in this:

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/14254/200.jpg

scope
09-19-2009, 12:00
Love the idea behind it, but alas, I have webbed toes. :(

Wise Old Owl
09-19-2009, 12:41
good one Scope!

Wrangler88
09-19-2009, 13:57
Well that post just killed it for me, I have seen the Wilmington Trail Club use them, and I know wet feet = blisters.

Invest in this:

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/14254/200.jpg

Ah, I didn't mean to turn you off to 'em. Like I said, I love them. They're definitely great around here in Texas where it doesn't rain a lot. Unless having to stand on hot concreat for a long time or something; the heat transfers through the shoes pretty fast. Same with running on a track.

But the numerous upsides outweigh the downs I think. The biggest thing for me is that they're so comfortable that I forget that I'm wearing them. I can leave them on all day, no problem.

I have the KSO's. I bought for hiking mostly. But I want to get a pair of the classics or the sprints as well. I don't see myself wearing regular shoes anytime soon.

JoeHiker
09-21-2009, 12:55
Bidwell NOBODY posted "Stupid" you read the bottom of a previous post that had nothing to do with the thread - It was a quote!

Yes SOMEBODY did just that. "bigmac_in" wasn't quoting anything. He wrote this:

"Those things are just plain stupid."

This asid, anyone interested in these and this topic should read a book called "Born To Run". It's on the bestseller lists right now (and I'm sure someone has probably posted on this forum about it already). Fascinating book, great read and real eye opener about running/walking shoes in general.

sbhikes
09-22-2009, 14:02
I listened to a podcast by Barefoot Ted (go to his web site http://www.barefootted.com/) and one of the comments he made was priceless. People would ask him how to get started running barefoot. He said that if you want to go barefoot, just go barefoot. But he realized that in the US, we can't seem to do something unless there is some piece of gear to buy. Hence, barefoot shoes!

Wise Old Owl
09-27-2009, 18:55
I listened to a podcast by Barefoot Ted (go to his web site http://www.barefootted.com/) and one of the comments he made was priceless. People would ask him how to get started running barefoot. He said that if you want to go barefoot, just go barefoot. But he realized that in the US, we can't seem to do something unless there is some piece of gear to buy. Hence, barefoot shoes!

That would be an epiphany.