PDA

View Full Version : Most Secluded Areas?

rocko23
07-29-2009, 19:33
Hey all!

I was wondering. What do you think are some of the most secluded sections on the trail? I know a lot of AT Clubs try and relocate the trail to keep it as secluded and scenic as possible, but I was wondering what areas do you think are the most remote? Also, what were some of the toughest parts terrain-wise? Thanks everyone!

Happy hiking!

Frick Frack
07-29-2009, 19:45
Southern ME by far was the toughest (most technical) section for us. The most remote....hummmmm.....hard to say....maybe the Northern part of ME?

Jeff
07-29-2009, 19:48
Although not really "secluded" we like to think the AT from Bennington, VT to Manchester, VT is scenic and quite beautiful with two fire towers for views and a great swimming area at Stratton Pond.

Blissful
07-29-2009, 19:52
I thought the first part of the trail fairly remote as far as not being able to hear noises of civilization, etc. 100 mile wilderness is pretty remote also

Cookerhiker
07-29-2009, 21:21
I nominate the part of Virginia west of I-81, especially the section south of Pearisburg. Then again, I hiked most of it in winter and early spring so perhaps my experience was an aberration.

Tin Man
07-29-2009, 21:55
Although not really "secluded" we like to think the AT from Bennington, VT to Manchester, VT is scenic and quite beautiful with two fire towers for views and a great swimming area at Stratton Pond.

Glastenbury Mtn. is what, 10 Miles from the nearest road. That's about as secluded as the AT gets, except for ME.

Of course, there are some mystery surrounding the moutain and people actually disappear up there...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/15706/the_mystery_of_people_vanishing_from.html

http://www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com/b/bennington-triangle/

Jim Adams
07-29-2009, 22:48
I thought the first part of the trail fairly remote as far as not being able to hear noises of civilization, etc. 100 mile wilderness is pretty remote also

Springer to Gooch is pretty remote.

geek

Snowleopard
07-29-2009, 22:49
Glastenbury Mtn. is what, 10 Miles from the nearest road. That's about as secluded as the AT gets, except for ME.

Of course, there are some mystery surrounding the moutain and people actually disappear up there...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/15706/the_mystery_of_people_vanishing_from.html

http://www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com/b/bennington-triangle/
A long time ago, when a friend and I hiked Glastenbury Mtn., the parking lot on Route 9 was filled with police cars. When we asked what was going on, they said a car had been abandoned there with a suicide note left at the owner's home. They asked to let them know if we found a body.

rocko23
07-30-2009, 01:59

Sorry, but what do you mean by "100 mile wilderness?"

The Mechanical Man
07-30-2009, 02:45
Sorry, but what do you mean by "100 mile wilderness?"

rocko,
Don't be sorry, be happy,...... :banana you joined Whiteblaze.net.

The 100 mile wilderness is a beautiful section of the AT, in Northern Maine.

Mr. Clean
07-30-2009, 04:03
The 100 mile wilderness is between Katahdin and the town of Monson in Maine and is crossed only by dirt logging roads. Still fairly accessable with a car, and White House Landing is a set of camps near the AT in the center of the wilderness.

Oh, and welcome to Whiteblaze!!

Hikes in Rain
07-30-2009, 08:03
Thi-Corner Knob Shelter, in the Smokies, is considered the most remote part of North Carolina. Or Tennessee; I get that mixed up.

OldStormcrow
07-30-2009, 08:15
Thi-Corner Knob Shelter, in the Smokies, is considered the most remote part of North Carolina. Or Tennessee; I get that mixed up.
Which state you are in while on the A.T. in the Smokies usually just depends on which side of the trail you are standing on. Tri Corner is one of my favorite spots in the Smokies and is a pretty good hike from any road.

Lone Wolf
07-30-2009, 09:07
there's nothing "remote' here in the east. the AT and remote have nothing to do with each other

CowHead
07-30-2009, 10:06
To me it's Damascus best unknown spot in the world- except one week each year the have one heck of a party.

peakbagger
07-30-2009, 11:55
The longest stretch of trail north of the Smokies with no road crossings (either private or public) is the Mahoosucs starting at Hogan Road in Shelburne to Rt 26 in Grafton Notch State park. Most of maine is far more remote from civilization but the trail is intersected by many public and private logging roads (usually on a daily basis). Even though there are the roads it feels more "remote" as most of the territory visible from the trail ridge is industrial forestland rather than developed. The viewshed from the Mahoosucs, is more developed. So it all comes down to you exact definition.

rocko23
07-30-2009, 13:07
This is fantastic everyone. Thank you so much. I guess when I say "remote" I'm talking about sections that are the farthest away from any towns or roads, save logging roads. Do you think that would be the 100-mile wilderness?

weary
07-30-2009, 13:44
there's nothing "remote' here in the east. the AT and remote have nothing to do with each other
The question dealt with the "most secluded" areas.

But in response to your comment, some areas are more "remote" than others. The Maine portion of the Mahoosucs is pretty remote. No roads traverse about 25 miles of the trail over the Mahoosucs in Maine and there's more than 30 miles of roadless trail between the Grafton Notch Road in Maine and Gorham, NH.

I think of the section north of Monson in Maine as also pretty remote remote, since to reach much of the trail you have to drive over 20 miles on mostly poorly maintained, privately owned, gravel roads.

Some trail maintainers in Maine have to drive 25 or 30 miles over rough, sometimes 8-mile-an-hour roads and then walk a 10 mile round trip to reach their trail sections.

Since most of us Mainers over the years have acquired 4-wheel drive pickups and are adept at finding abandoned roads that we use to reach the trail, you tourists from the south have an even harder time reaching the trail.

Much of the trail in Maine is quite remote, at least compared with downtown Damascus.

Weary

Tennessee Viking
07-30-2009, 13:49
In Tennessee/NC, probably Bald Mountain ridgeline. No Business. Smokies during winter.

Tinker
07-30-2009, 22:04
Anywhere in Maine, but especially the Hundred Mile Wilderness, which I did last year. Even at the peak of thruhiker season (early-mid September) I saw very few people and actually got lonely one day. Most of the time I enjoyed the solitude (staying away from shelters at night is a good way to entertain the illusion of wilderness. Lone Wolf is right, though. In the east "wilderness" has to be "created" from logged over forests not too far from civilization.
Welcome to Whiteblaze. :)

Cookerhiker
07-30-2009, 22:15
I suppose "remoteness" and "seclusion" on the AT are a function of time/season more so than location. Re. the 100 Mile Wilderness, I hiked it in Sept. '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117045) with many hikers - thrus and sectioners, even dayhikers not to mention a ridgerunner. Every shelter was full or near full and my only night alone was tent camping at Sidney Tappen campsite below Whitecap. So if seclusion means not running into others, don't hike the 100 Mile in late summer/early fall.

I've backpacked parts of the AT closer to "civilization" e.g. PA, CT, and VA in late November, December, January, February and felt much more secluded than the 100 Mile.

rocko23
07-31-2009, 15:50
Because the 100-mile wilderness is in Maine, is it also one of the more rugged parts of the trail? I've been hearing a lot how much harder the North sections are compared to those in the South.