PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Sumersville, WVA

Downhill Trucker
07-29-2009, 20:38
Going camping there tommorow and doing some climbing nearby. Anyone been to this area? Things to do or check out? Cool trails? Etc?

fiddlehead
07-29-2009, 21:24
I've been there dozens of times. It is the heart of some of the best rafting and kayaking in the east. (when there is a water release)
The Gauley and New Rivers are nearby.

We used to camp right under the New River bridge but they made it a national park so it's not allowed anymore.

Good climbing in the New river gorge. Take a camera.
Ask around about $5 Frank although he is dead now.

Most of the rafting companies have camping (there are tons of them)
Have fun.

Downhill Trucker
07-29-2009, 22:03
Unfortunately I don't think we will be rafting. Thanks for the info though!

fiddlehead
07-29-2009, 22:26
I'm pretty sure you don't have to raft to use their campgrounds.
There is a state park in the area also but i don't remember the name.

rootball
08-01-2009, 17:52
You will get all the scoop from them. Gauley Fest 99-08.

TIDE-HSV
08-01-2009, 18:24
No, you don't have to go on the river to use the campground. Although the only time I stayed there by the dam was before kayaking the Gauley. Since you're not interested in the river, I'd try to stay there other than when a release is taking place from the dam. For one thing, there's a lot of paddler congestion in the campground, and, for another, the water comes out of of huge penstocks in the face of the dam, with a thunderous noise and trembling of the ground. Hard to sleep, particularly if one knows one is going to be paddling the river in the morning...

soad
08-01-2009, 20:00
Stick to the posted speed limit on US 19 while in Summersville...the fine folks of Summersville, West Virginia have a lot of this motorist money :o