PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Stove

Ladytrekker
07-30-2009, 10:15
OK, I am sure this is an old question, but.....

http://www.floridatrail.org/OBM/Items-for-the-Trail/95/Detailed-product-flyer.html

I just purchased this stove (have been using a msr pocket rocket) because I want to use an alcohol stove and do not have the tools to make one, therefore I am totally not used to these, what is the best alcohol to use and how much do I need to carry for 4 days use?

russb
07-30-2009, 10:30
Denatured Alcohol (DA) is best as it is mostly ethanol compared to the popular HEET, which is mostly methanol. Ethanol has more BTU's per lb than methanol (IIRC 50% more). As far as how much you will need, this is dependent mostly on 2 factors, how often you will be using the stove and the efficiency of that particular stove. Not all alcohol stovs are created equal. Some are very efficient, some are fuel hogs. FYI, my goto stove (Starlyte) can boil 2 cups of water with a half oz of DA.

Jayboflavin04
07-30-2009, 10:36
Denatured or Heet(yellow bottle). I find it cheaper to buy DA you get more for your money. Heet usually runs 1.99 a bottle. You can get a big can of DA for about 5-7 bucks.

Fiddleback
07-30-2009, 10:41
Denatured alky is the standard (e.g., S-L-X at WalMart and hardware stores). Heet, in the yellow bottle, is also quite popular and convenient. Generally, isopropyl burns cooler and with more soot.

The amount needed for any trip depends on how much use the stove gets (duh!) among other factors such as water temp, weather conditions, etc. My soda can stove can heat two cups of cold water (mid-50°s) sufficiently to reconstitute a dehydrated meal and provide a hot beverage on 3/4 to 1oz of alky.

Kitchen tests/outdoor experiments before you hit the trail will give you what you need to know about your stove...

FB

winger
07-30-2009, 11:01
As advised above: Be SURE you test any piece of gear, especially such an important one as a stove, at home thoroughly, before depending on it once on the trail. Start with 8 oz of water, measure a 1/2 oz of fuel, and time the start to finish for the burn and the boil. Keep the top of the container covered throughout. If it didn't boil then start over with room temp water and 1 oz of fuel. Be sure to use a windscreen also. I plan on using 1-2 oz of fuel per day (denatured alcohol, got gallons of the stuff) for just one person. Good luck, have fun.

Tinker
07-30-2009, 23:01
If you have a paper hole punch (single) and an empty small cat food can you can make a Supercat. They can boil 16 oz. of room temp. water in 5 min. (at room temp.) or less. They weigh less than anything else I know of, and don't need a separate pot support if you use a smallish pan and place it squarely on the stove.

BrianLe
08-01-2009, 12:13
For a really thorough treatment on the topic of alcohol stove fuel, see http://zenstoves.net/

How much fuel to carry: I would start with 1 fluid oz of fuel per meal for a solo hiker. Take notes the first few trips and adjust from there, both in terms of how much you put in the stove to heat (optionally boil) a given amount of water, and how much you carry per (heated) meal.

Snowleopard
08-01-2009, 12:29
Alcohol stoves don't generally simmer well.
Alcohol stoves are mostly used for boiling water for food that just need boiling water added. One way people do this is to use ziploc freezer bags with an insulating cozy to keep it hot. Just add water and let it sit till done. Do a search for "freezer bag cooking".
Look at http://www.trailcooking.com/