PDA

View Full Version : Hiking after Neck Surgery???

Godfrey
07-30-2009, 18:15
Was wondering if anyone has had a cervical fusion of the c4, c5 and c5 and c6 and if it has impacted your hiking??? Any information is appreciated. Thanks,

Trooper
07-31-2009, 19:09
I haven't had a surgery like that. However, I would think that if you can do a few miles around town with your pack on and you don't experience any problems you should be ok to try it on the trail (try to get some hills in there). Of course, always consult your physician! I'm willing to bet they'll tell you the same thing I just did :) The only limiting factor might be how far you can bend forward as hikers are usually leaning forward a bit to compensate for the pack.

Blissful
07-31-2009, 19:56
Always make sure you are cleared for this kind of acitvity with your dr and possibly even physical therapist. I would also go to a sports md to double check.

elmotoots
08-01-2009, 01:41
I have not had a fusion, but had a chunk of C6 taken out and it had one heck of impact on my hiking

no more pain:banana

take care you build those neck muscles back up though, first time i sat up i thought my head had fallen off ( it hurt to )

if you are in pain i hope you get the same results i did

Steve

Jager
08-03-2009, 18:51
Ok, I had a fusion done on C5-C6-C7 a couple of years ago. Not a complete success as only one of the bone grafts calcified, although the other is not a problem as there is some sort of scar tissue that is keeping it reasonably sound, mechanically speaking. I have also managed to break the bottom two screws of the six, no problems there either.

Despite this, I've no recurrence of symptoms (numbness and tingling in my left arm ,lack of grip strength , neuralgia) I occasionally get sore if I over-exert ( for example, this week I was chopping a tree stump out and digging the roots...got a little achy.

I carried as heavy as a 55 pound pack (I grant you it was only a 20 mile hike with that load), and again, I managed it without difficulty with my neck.

I'd give you two pieces of advice:

First, I'm assuming that the surgeon or physio people gave you exercises for your neck ...DO THEM!!! Every day!!!

If you do not use a pack with a hip belt, get one. Getting the weight off of your shoulder onto your hips will make a huge difference.

Now, I don't know if you are planning a long AT type trek, or shorter jaunts of a week or two. My experience is with the latter, so take it in that light.

Other than that, all I can say is start short in distance and light in weight, listen to your body, and have fun.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Jager