PDA

View Full Version : Medway to katahdin

The Phoenix
07-30-2009, 23:41
What's the best way to get there? Any ideas?

Phreak
07-31-2009, 05:48
Contact the Appalachian Trail Lodge (http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/) for a shuttle.

Lone Wolf
07-31-2009, 06:24
hitch hike. it's easy

peakbagger
07-31-2009, 10:06
Its an easy hitch as the majority of the folks going to BSP take a left turn off I95 in Medway. They frequently fill up at the Irvings station which is the bus stop.

One thing to keep in mind is that you need to know where you are hitching to. If you have reservations in the park and hiking the AT, you want to make sure that you hitch to the main gate (Togue Pond Gate). This is at the end of the state highway. Running roughly parallel to the state highway but diverging around the west side of the park is the "Golden Road" a gravel logging road that gets more traffic than the state highway that services Baxter (The Golden Road accesses about 1/4 of the state of Maine). If you get a hitch on this road, you will want to get out at Abol bridge. To get to the Katahdin Stream campground, you will need to hike in via the AT to the park (I havent done it in several years but figure 4 hours).

Once you get to the main gate, show them your reservations and they can point you in the right direction, the majority of the traffic will be heading to Katahdin Stream which is probably where you have reservations. Just realize that anytime after 6 PM your odds of getting a ride to the park are poor as most folks have already driven in and the day users are driving out. I would urge you to avoid walking the park road and trying to hitch, its real narrow and has lousy sight lines, you are a lot better off waiting with your thumb out at the gatehouse.

There is a lot to be said for catching a shuttle as they know all the tricks !

mudhead
07-31-2009, 12:00
Good post. Covered it. If you did get a ride that was headed for the Golden Road, let them dump you where they turn. Unless they go the back way.

Just remember " the road that only goes into Baxter."