PDA

View Full Version : Minibull CAB stoves?

jeffjenn
07-31-2009, 01:05
Was looking at a few youtube videos Tinny has, & wanted to know if anyone here has tried his CAB (compact alcohol burner) stoves? Like the Solo, Duo, or Stumpy. If you have what opinions do you have???

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2009, 14:21
:DThe Mad Scientist goes even smaller?:D Hey he is obsessed with stove design - clearly he in very knowledgable from tons of practice. I have made several Red Bull stoves and found something that I am happy with that even looks like the stove you are looking at. I think they are great.

Nothing can be cooler when you reach into pack in front of your freinds at lunch and make a cup of tea or coffee from scratch from others "trash"

The one on the left is two red bull cans.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Starlytlea.jpg

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2009, 14:44
Well I found what you are talking about and he solved the basic problem with these micro stoves. Some cooking requires a longer burn time than the stove can hold fuel and would require dangerous refilling when the stove is hot. having the tube and fuel bottle seperate is a good idea.

Are you are trying to decide which one to purchase ? They will all be pretty good.

d40mFc
08-03-2009, 20:04
I've ordered the Stumpy. When it arrives, I'll set it up for a few burns. I'm really excited about the wick design with the remote fuel rig. His website says the Stumpy has sold out and he doesn't have time right now for another batch.

MDhiker1967
08-03-2009, 20:35
The new CAB's are great stoves.. great concepts.. and they work great...take a look here
www.minibulldesign.com (http://www.minibulldesign.com)

Tinker
08-03-2009, 20:41
Well I found what you are talking about and he solved the basic problem with these micro stoves. Some cooking requires a longer burn time than the stove can hold fuel and would require dangerous refilling when the stove is hot. having the tube and fuel bottle seperate is a good idea.

Are you are trying to decide which one to purchase ? They will all be pretty good.

Refilling is only dangerous when the stove is burning (which is, admittedly, difficult to tell in bright sunlight).
It may, however, be wasteful, as the hot stove will vaporize some of the alcohol poured into it before you can light it.
Beware relighting a hot stove! POOF - there goes the hair on your hand! :eek::D

High Altitude
08-03-2009, 21:46
I received a stumpy UCAB today and have done a couple burns with it.

I use a 550ml cup, 2 cups of water.

I didn't keep track of the boil times but it is on par with a lot of other stove designs.

Everything works good but there is one thing I don't like about it.

It is very hard, maybe even impossible, to get any remaining fuel from the self feed fuel system back into the bottle with out spilling some fuel.

I keep trying but haven't had any success. No matter what I do some fuel always leaks out and gets on the bottle and feed system.

Hopefully I can figure it out because spilling fuel every single time I use the stove is a deal breaker for me. Its not much but it always runs down the bottle onto my hand.

I have tried out many, many alcohol stove designs and a simple small can (v8/red bull, like a penny stove) seems to be about the best overall for boiling water in a small mug. Tinny had some other designs that worked great for mugs but he no longer sells them. I don't remember the name but it was a small cylinder that held the fuel with a couple wicks out the top. Very easy to fill, use and get the unused fuel out. I guess some people had over heating issues. I have yet to experience that with mine.

For a larger pot any side burner, whitebox, super cat etc... works fine.

For the stoves that I don't like it is always an issue with either filling them with fuel (zelph's starlyte) or trying to get back out the unused fuel.

The UCAB self feed system would be better if you could just leave the fuel in the bottle/self feed and cap the opening that connects to the fuel line with out it leaking. This would be ideal.

Overall it is a good stove but I don't know how much use it will get.

High Altitude
08-04-2009, 04:55
I just wanted to add that I am trying to get by with only using one bottle of fuel for storage and also for the feed system.

You can empty the fuel into a second bottle right out the fuel line with out any problems.

If you use the small bottle with the feed system and another larger bottle to carry your fuel the stove works great with no problems at all.

d40mFc
08-06-2009, 22:33
Just brewed up some noodles over my brand new stumpy. High Altitude, I hear what you're saying about the fuel spillage, I did the same thing, discovered a little cut on my finger in the process. Yeowch! That said, the spillage I experienced stowing the remote fuel rig was several drops and drips less than I've ever had filling a soda can stove. Plus there's no intentional spillage from setting up a primer pan or soaking a primer wick.

High Altitude
08-07-2009, 01:08
I took my kids out day hiking the last couple days and had a chance to use the stove some more and have another point to report.

At times it can be a little finicky getting the fuel line hooked up to both the fuel feed and the stove so the fuel line is not twisted some. I don't mean twisted as in the fuel line looks like a pretzel but twisted along its length. ie the fuel line is straight but twisted.

It isn't easy to tell so once you hook the line to the stove, set the stove down and let it go, it can have enough force to either turn over the stove or the fuel feed system. After a slight adjustment it works fine but why bother having to worry about this at all and if the fuel feed tips over it will spill some fuel.

Its an innovative stove but not quite there yet. I will be packing something simplier with me when I go out. I would much rather put a soda can stove down (or other stand alone design), put fuel right in the stove, light and away we go.

oops56
08-07-2009, 10:09
I took my kids out day hiking the last couple days and had a chance to use the stove some more and have another point to report.

At times it can be a little finicky getting the fuel line hooked up to both the fuel feed and the stove so the fuel line is not twisted some. I don't mean twisted as in the fuel line looks like a pretzel but twisted along its length. ie the fuel line is straight but twisted.

It isn't easy to tell so once you hook the line to the stove, set the stove down and let it go, it can have enough force to either turn over the stove or the fuel feed system. After a slight adjustment it works fine but why bother having to worry about this at all and if the fuel feed tips over it will spill some fuel.

Its an innovative stove but not quite there yet. I will be packing something simplier with me when I go out. I would much rather put a soda can stove down (or other stand alone design), put fuel right in the stove, light and away we go.
I am glad i not the only one thinks they suck

yaduck9
08-07-2009, 13:15
I've ordered the Stumpy. When it arrives, I'll set it up for a few burns. I'm really excited about the wick design with the remote fuel rig. His website says the Stumpy has sold out and he doesn't have time right now for another batch.

I looked at Tinny's site and I kind of like the the concept of a wick style stove.

What I don't seem to get is this; Does one have to buy the stove and the remote fuel bottle seperately or does the stove come as a complete package? Tinny doesn't seem to make it very clear in his online store.

Can anyone help me out here?

:(

High Altitude
08-07-2009, 13:28
I looked at Tinny's site and I kind of like the the concept of a wick style stove.

What I don't seem to get is this; Does one have to buy the stove and the remote fuel bottle seperately or does the stove come as a complete package? Tinny doesn't seem to make it very clear in his online store.

Can anyone help me out here?

:(

I agree, it was confusing to me also.

You have to purchase the stove and the remote fuel feed as seperate items.

The remote fuel feed does come with a fuel line and the bottle.

jeffjenn
08-12-2009, 00:51
Thanks for all the info on these stoves!:D How long does it usually take to get one of these from Tinny?

d40mFc
08-27-2009, 00:02
He used to try to ship within a week of order received, but my last order from him in Maine to the west coast was closer to two weeks.

One tip I can pass on regarding the remote fuel feeder - the directions that come with the remote say to turn it over keeping the hose nipple up, but I've had much better luck not spilling fuel by keeping the vent hole up. And I'm the guy that spills water drinking from a camelback!

I've done a few burns on my stumpy CAB, and it's been great. Nice hot flame that stays under beer can pots and small cups.

jeffjenn
08-28-2009, 02:19
Can anyone tell me the inside diameter & wall thickness of the silicone body on the Stumpy, Duo, or Solo... (I know the Bongo is 3/4"x1/8")

Thanks, Jeff

jeffjenn
08-28-2009, 16:21
Ok, got info on the Solo & feel confident the duo is the same. How about the Stumpy???

zelph
08-29-2009, 09:12
Watch this video about remote fueled stoves and be careful;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43xN5vyXxU

yaduck9
08-29-2009, 09:46
Nice Video

If the guy had a box of Arm and hammer he could have simply sprinkled the powder onto the flame and it would have been out in two seconds.

If he was outside it would have been less problematic.

Wise Old Owl
08-29-2009, 09:54
Got to be prepared for stoves blowing up and going all over the place, I did the same thing with a wisperlight and gas, it was a bomb!

d40mFc
09-06-2009, 03:07
jeffjenn - stumpy has an internal diameter of 1/2 inch and an outside diameter of 11/16 inch, for a 3/32 wall thickness.

Be safe with that information. Remember, all stoves have associated dangers.