PDA

View Full Version : A Footbath in the Wilderness

Jack Tarlin
07-31-2009, 13:18
So we were talking about this in Five-Olde the other night, me and some other hikers.

Is this the wettest spring/summer that you guys can remember?

Or was 2003 worse?

As I write this looking out the window, it's pissing down rain again with more on the way, which is too bad, as I'd sorts hoped to get up Moosilauke some time in the next two days.

Anyway, whaddyou think? All I know is that it was pissing down rain in mid-March in Georgia and it seems to have continued as I made my way North. Vermont was a mudfest and it's been pretty awful since I got back to Hanover.

Honestly, next year's hot Trail shirt will say "I swam the entire Appalachian Trail".

Was it really as bad as all that or am I imagining things?

Jester
07-31-2009, 13:41
Spent July 4 - 11 this year on the trail in Vermont. WOW MUDFEST is an understatement. That deep rich mud would be worth millions down here in the south in red clay country. Despite the mud and the slow going Vermont is beautiful. Really enjoyed ending the hike on Killington Peak.

Jester

Blissful
07-31-2009, 13:43
The thru hikers I talked to back in late May commented on the bad weather this year. My hat goes off to them. It certainly has been a tougher year in that way, but the weather in '03, at least here in VA seemed rainier for the same period.

neighbor dave
07-31-2009, 13:48
apparantly if we get 1 1/2 more inches of rain, which is very likely today, it'll be the 3rd rainest on record in concord nh

saimyoji
07-31-2009, 14:18
well DUUUUHHHH....its the coming ice age.....all reasonable thinking people know that global warming is leading towards a wetter colder planet. :rolleyes:

:D

thollin
07-31-2009, 14:21
Todays trail leading north to Bennington, VT was knee deep at times. I really hope 2003 three was worse than this because then I can say "well at least...."
Jack, I never found my book in Harpers Ferry, what gives?? I'm only kidding. Btownn chowdown?
-slapshot-

Homer&Marje
07-31-2009, 14:30
Talked to two sobo's while in NH and they had started May 28th. I saw them on 7/11 at Liberty Springs where I was told of there last 29 days on the trail 26 had been rain. They should have ended up with a few more good days after that...probably almost in Mass wading through the beaver ponds mudfest 09'

I did not find the trails that bad...but I'll let you know next week about southern MA

Chaco Taco
08-01-2009, 21:28
Talked to two sobo's while in NH and they had started May 28th. I saw them on 7/11 at Liberty Springs where I was told of there last 29 days on the trail 26 had been rain. They should have ended up with a few more good days after that...probably almost in Mass wading through the beaver ponds mudfest 09'

I did not find the trails that bad...but I'll let you know next week about southern MA

Almost the same story for us last year when we met SOBO's
21 of 23 days in Maine, downpours.

Lilred
08-01-2009, 21:46
I must have lucked out. My 4 week hike this summer was wonderful. It rained at night and cleared up and sunny during the days, but not hot. It was one of the most enjoyable sections I've done so far weather wise. A complete 180 from last year where I nearly collapsed from the heat and no water. I hiked the north half of Virginia from May 25th to June 19th. It was Glorious!! Although, I think I'm the only hiker in the world that has hiked the entire Shanendoah's and never saw a bear...:mad::(

Tinker
08-01-2009, 21:53
Very amusing thread title, Jack :D.
It hasn't been this wet in Rhode Island in many years (don't know about the AT).

Trooper
08-01-2009, 21:59
Yeah, it's been rainy. However, the average temperature this summer has been a lot cooler and finding water hasn't been a problem. I bet the thru-hikers last year would have preferred this weather to the drought-like conditions we had last year.

Blue Jay
08-02-2009, 09:07
I can't speak for the entire AT however IMO the Mass. and Vermont sections are much wetter this year than 03. A friend who lives just off the trail on the south side of Graylock near Jones Nose recieved 5 inches of rain in 2 hours on July 31. That is a normal total July rainfall for her in 2 hours. Granted Vermont is muddy even in drought years but I do think this year's thrus have bragging rights.

Deadeye
08-02-2009, 09:46
It's been so wet, even the fishing sucks:eek:

Grampie
08-02-2009, 10:06
After reading this years hiker journals I feel blessed to have thrued in 2001. I only got soaked about five times. Only packed my tent in the rain once and only remember hiking with rain gear on a couple of times.:sun

adamkrz
08-02-2009, 11:11

Bring 100% deet, Use your tent also, We had a couple of the toughest time's this weekend in southern Mass.

By far the worst ( wettest ) and most mosquitoes I have ever seen.

Bearpaw
08-02-2009, 11:51
I was in the Smokies (NC side) Monday through Friday this past week. I've never known so much concentrated rain there. In those five days, I could count on my fingers the hours it wasn't raining.

On the other hand, I hiked the northern TN/southwestern VA area in late June and early July and only got rained on during the evening on three nights out of 11. Dry hiking during the day. So it seems to be a little more hit and miss in the south.

Ox97GaMe
08-02-2009, 16:54
I think it depends on which part of the trail you are on at any given time. In 97, there were only 2 days in the month of September that didnt rain in Maine. Folks that finished in August said it was dry. That is not suprising, as Sept is Hurricane season, and a lot of those storms roll up the east coast states and dump a lot of rain from NC to ME during the month. That is a typical occurrance.

I remember getting dumped on in NH in 99 by remnants of back to back hurricanes. They got 9 inches of rain one day, then 11 inches of rain just 6 days later. Between the storms was nice views, just muddy trail. Hiking through the whites in those conditions was fun, to say the least. :)

As for the Smokies, this year has seen more rain than normal for the summer, and exceptionally cooler temps. Last week, they set new low temps on 4 consectutive nights. It has rained at least 5 days out of each week since mid May. Forecast for next week... Rain Mon-Fri.

However, I hear that MD, PA, and NY are not getting as much rain as other parts of the trail. Folks that are hiking in those sections right now would probably disagree about it being a wet season.

The thing that has been consistent over the past several years is that everyone complains about it being wet in GA/NC/TN, being hot in VA, being dry through PA/NJ/NY.

Snowleopard
08-02-2009, 17:23
I think it depends on which part of the trail you are on at any given time. In 97, there were only 2 days in the month of September that didnt rain in Maine. Folks that finished in August said it was dry. That is not suprising, as Sept is Hurricane season, and a lot of those storms roll up the east coast states and dump a lot of rain from NC to ME during the month. That is a typical occurrance.

However, I hear that MD, PA, and NY are not getting as much rain as other parts of the trail.

NY: Places in the Catskills apparently got 10" to 15" in rain in the last week. I keep thinking that someplace other than here (central Mass.) has been getting less rain. I look into it and then read trip reports of waist deep mud. :mad:

thollin: ... Todays trail leading north to Bennington, VT was knee deep at times. ...
thollin, was that knee deep mud or knee deep water?