PDA

View Full Version : Me and my dog

Jrickey
08-01-2009, 03:40
I am in south florida, between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. My summer classes end Aug 11 and my fall classes begin Aug 22 which gives me just 11 days. I want to spend some time travelling, in the wilderness and with my dog so what better than to hike the AT for a few days. Just from reading the little I have I figured starting at Springer mountain would be my best bet. It takes about 11 hours from my house to reach springer so Im not sure If i want to leave at night and arrive during day or vice versa so I could rest when I get there.

I dont have any equipment just yet, I plan on getting the essentials in the next couple days (pack, bag, tent). I would like to spend 3-8 days on the trail. Does anyone have any advice for me, specifically about parking, a good starting point, gear.

Thanks in advance.

Jrickey
08-01-2009, 12:34
While I am leaving with my dog, the main objective of my post was to find a good starting point and parking. I hope the move of the thread will help with that as well.

Phreak
08-01-2009, 12:37
Park your car at the Amicalola Falls Visitor Center and get a shuttle to Dicks Creek Gap and hike back to your car.

Jrickey
08-01-2009, 12:53
The dog (100lbs) will be allowed on the shuttle?

Phreak
08-01-2009, 13:10
The dog (100lbs) will be allowed on the shuttle?If you have issues finding a shuttle, PM or email Survivor Dave. He's a dog lover and shuttles hikers. If not SD, keep me posted on your start date and I'll shuttle you.

Jrickey
08-01-2009, 13:28
I really appreciate that. Are shuttles from Amicalola to Dicks Creek Gap common or few and far between? Looking at the map its hard to determine just how many miles it is from Dicks Creek Gap back to Amicalola.

Thanks again.

Phreak
08-01-2009, 14:58
Approximately 76 trail miles from Dicks Creek Gap to the Visitor Center.