PDA

View Full Version : Gear list critique

Sharkey
08-01-2009, 18:37
I am starting on SOBO in late August. Here is a list of my present gear. The weights of the items were measured on a cooking scale and some were rounded up. Please offer any suggestions that you think I may be missing or that I can do without. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gear list for SOBO (approximate start August 27th)
Weights were measured on cooking scale. Some measurements rounded up.

Item OZ
Backpack –Golite Odyssey 58
Tent- Big Agnes Seedhouse 48
With footprint and stakes
Pad- Thermarest full-length 24
Sleeping Bag- WM Antelope 40
SB liner- 10
Stove- Jet Boil 15
Fuel- 6
Water Treatment- Aqua Mira 3

Socks x3 9
Shorts with briefs 5
Underwear 4
Long John top and bottom 12
Under Armor Cold LS shirt 8
Nike Running tights 6
Fleece jacket 16
Fleece vest 12
Gloves and liner 6
Cap 3
Scarf/ bavaclava 3

Rain Jacket- Marmont 12
Rain pants – TNF 12
Bandana- 2
Bag liner- 2
Bag cover- 7
Orange hunters vest- 3
Camera - 7

Misc.. 50
(Phone-7, phone charger-4, camera charger-3, first aid-2, soap, 1, toothbrush and paste-2, handsanitizer-2, TP- 3, rope-3, foot powder-3, lighter-1, meds-3, headlight-3, book-7, pen-1, paper tablet-3, trowel-3, other misc.-6)

Total base weight= 390 oz.

kayak karl
08-01-2009, 19:22
hi MM,
list looks good. you might decide to send a few things home later, but so what. i know you've tested your gear in the cold:cool:. trust your own instincts. i really wish you well R and hope to see you on the trail.
Take Care
KK

Ranc0r
08-01-2009, 19:22
You have both a fleece jacket AND vest?
Long underwear top and bottom, PLUS running tights and UA top?
All that warmth layer, PLUS a sleeping bag liner?
Your electronic gear really cannot use the same charger?
I think I see some places you could cut some weight, just because you have more than one thing doing the same job. It looks to me like you haven't shaken down your gear needs down quite enough, but a base pack weight of 24 1/2 lb. is certainly a good start, considering how much of your hike is likely to be in non-summer conditions. I suspect you will need an insulating jacket by October, and I don't think the fleece will cut it for you - but YMMV.

Good Luck on your hike.

Ranc0r

Lone Wolf
08-01-2009, 20:58
I am starting on SOBO in late August. Here is a list of my present gear. The weights of the items were measured on a cooking scale and some were rounded up. Please offer any suggestions that you think I may be missing or that I can do without. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gear list for SOBO (approximate start August 27th)
Weights were measured on cooking scale. Some measurements rounded up.

Item OZ
Backpack –Golite Odyssey 58
Tent- Big Agnes Seedhouse 48
With footprint and stakes
Pad- Thermarest full-length 24
Sleeping Bag- WM Antelope 40
SB liner- 10
Stove- Jet Boil 15
Fuel- 6
Water Treatment- Aqua Mira 3

Socks x3 9
Shorts with briefs 5
Underwear 4
Nike Running tights 6
Fleece jacket 16
Fleece vest 12
Gloves and liner 6
Cap 3
Scarf/ bavaclava 3

Rain Jacket- Marmont 12
Rain pants – TNF 12
Bandana- 2
Bag liner- 2
Bag cover- 7
Orange hunters vest- 3
Camera - 7

Misc.. 50
(Phone-7, phone charger-4, camera charger-3, first aid-2, soap, 1, toothbrush and paste-2, handsanitizer-2, TP- 3, rope-3, foot powder-3, lighter-1, meds-3, headlight-3, book-7, pen-1, paper tablet-3, trowel-3, other misc.-6)

Total base weight= 390 oz.

it's all good. go for a walk. you'll figure it out for yourself.

Snowleopard
08-01-2009, 21:05
You might have more warm stuff than you need for the start (until the white mts), but if we continue to have wet weather in New England keep it all. In the White mts you might need it all.
Do you have enough experience to know how fast you'll be going in miles/day?
It's 441 miles to Hanover, nh and 773 miles to the CT/NY border.
At 20 miles/day, that gets you to:
Hanover Sept. 18 (i.e., thru the White mts.)
CT/NY Oct 5 ( Not winter there by then)
If you go a bit slower, 15 miles/day:
Hanover: Sept 25
CT/NY: Oct. 17.
I'd say get through the hardest parts of the Whites by about Oct. 1 and you're golden. Actually, this schedule sounds really tempting. New England in October is glorious in an average year. This year has been very wet, but who knows what it'll be like in a month.

Your sleeping bag is down, keep it dry. With a 5 degree bag you shouldn't need a 10 oz liner till late in the season (if then).

Nike Running tights 6
You could drop one top and one bottom from this list.

I agree with Ranc0r, an insulated top will give more warmth with less weight than the fleeces. Synthetics like primaloft would be better than down for New England, especially if the weather stays wet.

Have a great time.

kayak karl
08-01-2009, 21:34
I suspect you will need an insulating jacket by October, and I don't think the fleece will cut it for you - but YMMV..
im hiking in about the same time frame. what insulated jacket would you recommend. i never owned one.

KK

Blissful
08-01-2009, 22:04
im hiking in about the same time frame. what insulated jacket would you recommend. i never owned one.

KK

I have the Mens montbell synthetic one. Or maybe their down jacket. Nice stuff.

Sharkey
08-01-2009, 22:27
Hello again,

Thanks for the suggestions that have been sent so far. I was trying to get by with as much stuff that I already had and limit stuff being sent to me. But I see from the suggestions where I can make some changes. And drop a few things. Thanks again.

RancOr, I am not able to use the same charger for the camera and phone. Great idea. Guess I can't complain too much about that since the camera takes really good pics. (or maybe it's the photographer).

bigcranky
08-02-2009, 11:18
I have an Antelope. It's good down to mid-single-digits for me. So I would not take a sleeping bag liner to start, and would have it sent later when temps got cold enough to need it. Really nice bag, though.

My fleece jacket and vest were replaced long ago with a variety of down and synthetic pieces. I'd probably take my Micropuff pullover, or my down sweater to start. About 12 ounces instead of 28 (total) for the two fleece pieces, and probably warmer. But if you like the fleece, take it.

Later on I would carry two pairs of gloves and two hats, one set for hiking and a warmer set for camp/sleeping.

Have a great hike.

Ranc0r
08-02-2009, 12:04
I happen to like the synthetic micropuff jackets, as I'm bad about keeping outer layers dry and down clumps IME. I have one I got from steepandcheap.com for under $100, very large name brand, discontinued color, weighs in a 14 oz. and packs down to gear-pocket size. Just make sure it works with your other layers, i.e. you can wear layers under it and your shell layer will cover it.

Ranc0r

Deadeye
08-02-2009, 14:02
it's all good. go for a walk. you'll figure it out for yourself.

Absolutely, but ditch the tent footprint.

kayak karl
08-02-2009, 14:21
Absolutely, but ditch the tent footprint.
why? hes going to be on mud, ice and snow. it gets messy out there.

Sharkey
08-02-2009, 16:46
Anyone have any experience using an army field jacket liner inside a rain jacket? I've used them before but only for short trips and primarily in the southeast. How would this combination work as compared to a Montbell Thermawrap or Patagonia Micropuff?

Snowleopard
08-02-2009, 17:41
Anyone have any experience using an army field jacket liner inside a rain jacket? I've used them before but only for short trips and primarily in the southeast. How would this combination work as compared to a Montbell Thermawrap or Patagonia Micropuff?

I doubt 'army field jacket liner inside a rain jacket' would work as well as a Micropuff, but for the price difference, so what. Sgt Rock uses that and the pants liner in winter: http://hikinghq.net/gear/clothing4.html
I remember Rock having more detailed directions for modifying it but I can't find it now.

Rain Jacket: sometimes it's a lot nicer to have a really breathable with DWR jacket than a Goretex type. This is something you'll have to try out in cold weather. The $150 insulating jackets probably have a nicer outer fabric.

If you get one, be careful what they're charging you for shipping; some of the places that carry it are outrageous on shipping.

ShelterLeopard
08-02-2009, 18:17

I'm glad you asked that because I was just in a gear store yesterday looking for a good winter puff jacket. I found the most amazing down puff jacket- it felt perfect, was incredibly light, basically, it was perfect. Then I saw the price tag- $290. Needless to say, the medics revived me and I am alive to tell the tale, but I need to find a less expensive way to go.

River Runner
08-02-2009, 21:49
If the GoLite Odyssey has the same fabric and zippers as the Quest, you could probably drop the pack cover and just use the liner, as the fabric is pretty water resistant. If you are hiking in much rain the pack will get wet from capillary action from the back anyway, so the pack cover may not be worth the weight.

Might want to reconsider the Seedhouse - if I recall correctly, it's not great for rainy weather since it has no vestibule and the slant of the door allows rain to drop straight in when it's opened.

Blissful
08-02-2009, 22:07
Guess I can't complain too much about that since the camera takes really good pics. (or maybe it's the photographer).

It's always the photographer.

:D

I mean I have a cheapo digital camera (Samsung 630 that runs on batteries) and took the pic on my avatar this summer....
Used it on the trail in '07 also.
But I should look for something else. I love pictures of scenery.

Panzer1
08-02-2009, 22:39
I would add:
map, compass, guidebook and something to carry water in.

Panzer

Sharkey
08-04-2009, 14:33
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I'm excited about the hike and the opportunity to meet other hikers and enjoying the great outdoors. Again, thanks for all the help.

Lyle
08-04-2009, 15:31
Not so fast here folks. I just did a quick look, and none of the NH hikers have signed off on this list yet...:D

They are, after all, the only qualified judge of hiker's prep.

dessertrat
08-04-2009, 15:35

Unless you are in supremely good physical condition, you will not make 20 miles per day through Maine. Especially if the wet weather continues.

Snowleopard
08-04-2009, 20:17

Unless you are in supremely good physical condition, you will not make 20 miles per day through Maine. Especially if the wet weather continues.
Yes, I forgot to suggest the inflatable kayak for the damper parts of the trail.
Is a flotation device recommended for the mud puddles?:)

beakerman
08-05-2009, 00:01
Well it does not matter what is on your list if you run into any troubles in NH you might get stuck with a hefty bill for your SAR...

ShelterLeopard
08-05-2009, 01:10
Yeah- who'd have thought that hiking the trail would put you in debt?

jwalden
08-05-2009, 01:56
I agree that 20/day to Hanover is unlikely. It took me forty-three days to get to Hanover, which from what I could tell from the people who started around the same time as me was definitely on the slow side for that section of the trail. Had I done things the right way (or take that as the "smart" way :-) ) I believe I could have shaved a little less than a week of time off that, maybe more if I pushed it. Then again, that would assume not being fresh and stupid, and let's face it, isn't half the fun being able to make stupid mistakes and adjust to and learn from them over time? (In retrospect, if perhaps not necessarily to a meaningful degree at the time. ;-) I still enjoyed myself, if perhaps not quite to as great a degree as I wanted.)

Since no one else has mentioned it I'll throw in the idea of getting a good set of hiking poles. I hiked without any until I bought a pair in Gorham, and I believe the $140 I spent on poles there was the best $140 I spent on the entire trip. I have been told that I should consider it a point of pride to have hiked the entire Maine section without any. Perhaps that's true, and if I have a receptive audience I'd certainly toot that horn, but I can make pointless goals for myself quite well without needing to restrict the type of gear I carry. :-D If you're anything like me, you'll appreciate the poles for their ability to let you descend the Maine mountains at any sort of reasonable speed without having to scramble all the time. Also, for a trip this long, I wouldn't (and didn't) skimp. At seven cents a mile, not to mention being able to use them far beyond that as well, it's well worth it compared to the usual prospective buyer using them for weekend-hiking or perhaps once-a-year week-long hiking but not racking up the mileage to make them a slam dunk.

brewtus dreadsmore
08-05-2009, 02:51
your gear list looks about right on . you gotta go with what you got right . I cant really say anything that has'nt already been said in this post - i mean ahh - lose a bottom for sure ( the tights), perhaps your shorts double as underwear , lose that . with the thermals you prob wont need the sleeping bag liner . fleece jacket and vest could be upgraded to a down or synth. jacket for more warmth/half the weight . and ditch the pack cover - wrap your rainfly or a garbage bag around your pack if its really pourin and your worried . - i think all that would shave about 2 maybe 3 pounds . - mind you though I would keep this stuff in a bounce box . Its up to you and you know what you what you really need with you -
- your wants - if it makes for a more enjoyable time - bring 'em .
And the army jacket liner i wore underneath a shell for many trips - you cant beat em for the price .
I'll be puttin my gear list up on here for the ol' critique as well in a few days ( I'll be about a month later start than you ) but maybe it could help .

kayak karl
08-05-2009, 04:34
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I'm excited about the hike and the opportunity to meet other hikers and enjoying the great outdoors. Again, thanks for all the help.
i decided to bounce some of my stuff to monson. im mailing the drop before i leave, it will help with carrying extra food.
See ya on the trail.
KK

kayak karl
09-19-2009, 19:17
does anyone know it Marathon Man left on hike, how far he is or does he have a journal.
THANKS
KK