PDA

View Full Version : Birthday on the trail: HOW TO CELEBRATE

truckindust
08-01-2009, 19:11
O.K. everyone
I'm open to suggestions....my son and friend are currently in New Hampshire doing a SOBO Thruhike and he turns 18 on the trail August 15....I can't get there from Georgia (not that I think he really wants to see ME, of course haha) but I can't get there to do something special....so a any suggestions? As you can guess, it is nearly impossible to gauge where they will be on that specific day so...and it may be that we just have to acknowledge it when he gets a little closer and we (parents) go to visit.... or just say, "well son...we've got nothing for you ..but hey your on the trail and few do THAT on their 18th birthday, huh". haha I'm sure if he is with some older people (over 21), on that day, they may help celebrate "a tad" haha........any suggestions?:banana

Jan LiteShoe
08-01-2009, 19:17
How "in touch" are you currently? Do you know where he is now?

First thing that popped into my head would be a prepaid meal and stay for him somewhere close to the trail, a large enough room his hiking buddies could join him, and a safe place to sleep it off the celebration the morning after.

Chaco Taco
08-01-2009, 19:22

First thing that popped into my head would be a prepaid meal and stay for him somewhere close to the trail, a large enough room his hiking buddies could join him, and a safe place to sleep it off the celebration the morning after.
I smell party!:banana Just tell em not to be smart though.

Chaco Taco
08-01-2009, 19:23
O.K. everyone
I'm open to suggestions....my son and friend are currently in New Hampshire doing a SOBO Thruhike and he turns 18 on the trail August 15....I can't get there from Georgia (not that I think he really wants to see ME, of course haha) but I can't get there to do something special....so a any suggestions? As you can guess, it is nearly impossible to gauge where they will be on that specific day so...and it may be that we just have to acknowledge it when he gets a little closer and we (parents) go to visit.... or just say, "well son...we've got nothing for you ..but hey your on the trail and few do THAT on their 18th birthday, huh". haha I'm sure if he is with some older people (over 21), on that day, they may help celebrate "a tad" haha........any suggestions?:banana
Are you sure he didnt hitch to Rutland? Lots of SOBOs there last year.

ShelterLeopard
08-01-2009, 19:32
I'll be NoBoing next year, and on the trail for my birthday, and MY ideal birthday is just to be hiking like a normal day and not talk to anyone except fellow hikers, and maybe save some extra good dinner food that I haven't eaten every single day before that. My birthday is a couple days before I get to Harper's Ferry. Then I'm staying in Harper's Ferry for three days about a week after my birthday to see family (who is coming down to meet me and stay in Harper's as well) and have a more stereotypical birthday celebration.

As to what you should do for your son, I completely agree with liteshoe- full paid dinner and night in town should do it!

Summit
08-01-2009, 20:11
Send him whatever amount of money you feel appropriate with a note to the effect, "This one's on me! Have fun!" He'll appreciate being able to use it as he wishes, which is better than guessing what his wishes are!

saimyoji
08-01-2009, 20:24
hire some strippers to hike in to the shelter he'll be staying at....tip 'em some extra to carry some beers up for him. :D

Lone Wolf
08-01-2009, 20:55
O.K. everyone

take him to the nearest PO and have him sign up for selective service

Chaco Taco
08-01-2009, 21:27
I smell party!:banana Just tell em not to be smart though.

Meant to say that to tell him to be smart about it.

Tinker
08-01-2009, 21:29

I believe the minimum drinking age in New Hampshire is still 21 :(.
Just as well probably.

Chaco Taco
08-01-2009, 21:31
Just as well probably.

I met alot of kids under 21 and about half of em were smart about the underage drinkin.

saimyoji
08-01-2009, 21:41
Just as well probably.

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~harley/pics/square.gif

Bearpaw
08-01-2009, 21:50
Tell him to have a snickers bar to celebrate. The commercials all say Snickers is a FEAST! ;)

Jack Tarlin
08-01-2009, 22:27
August 15th is two weeks from now.

It takes around 12 days or so to hike New Hampshire.

I think around the 15th, your son will be a few days into Vermont.

Here's what I'd do: I'd send a surprise package to the Inn at Long Trail, near Killington VT that contains money for an overnight stay and a celebratory dinner for him and perhaps a few friends. You won't be there but it'll be a great treat for him. (Let me know if you need the address or contact info).

Another if idea would have him get into Rutland VT next weekend where there will be a weekend long hiker festival (see www.longtrailfestivalvt.com for details). Lots of stuff to do that weekend and many restaurants as well; you could send him his "surprise" package there as well.

Also, PM me if you'd like. I have friends in Hanover, including some who run or own restaurants and with a little "word to the wise" ahead of time, we might be able to have something ready for him when he walks in, i.e a pre-paid dinner, a nice cake, etc.

Let us know what happens.

The Mechanical Man
08-02-2009, 03:19
O.K. everyone

There is NOTHING that money can't take care of on an AT hike, send him lots of $$. :)

Chaco Taco
08-02-2009, 20:08
There is NOTHING that money can't take care of on an AT hike, send him lots of $$. :)

$$$ fixes anything on the AT

saimyoji
08-02-2009, 20:33
$$$ fixes anything on the AT

including things like lyme disease, malnutrition, blister problems, rolled ankles, and sexual frustration. :rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
08-02-2009, 21:13
including things like lyme disease, malnutrition, blister problems, rolled ankles, and sexual frustration. :rolleyes:

especially sexual frustration:D

Homer&Marje
08-02-2009, 21:17
O.K. everyone

Old enough for the Marines, old enough to be friends with Jack

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd250/mickeysangeleyes/jack_daniels-1.jpg
http://pic.photobucket.com/spacer.gif

especially sexual frustration:D

Come on... you can admit your used to it:D:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
08-02-2009, 21:21
Old enough for the Marines, old enough to be friends with Jack

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd250/mickeysangeleyes/jack_daniels-1.jpg
http://pic.photobucket.com/spacer.gif

Come on... you can admit your used to it:D:rolleyes:

Pre-emptive strike for a thread shut down