PDA

View Full Version : the bugs...

hotspur
08-02-2009, 13:03
Had to leave to the AT last month to take care of some business in FL. Since I miss hiking though I am going out on the trail here for a couple of weeks. Are the bugs, especially mosquitoes worse on the Florida Trail than the AT? It looks like the canals are havens for bothersome bugs.

Also, I like sleeping on open ground or in my hammock; are the bugs going to attack me all night as well?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

toegem
08-02-2009, 13:15
The mosquitoes are no worse here in Fla. as they are in La, there has been alot of rain over the past few weeks as most know that is the time mosquitoes seem to be the worst. I would say there is no need for a head net, but deet or an alternative would be recommended from this camp when hiking. For the evenings I would recommend netting for your hammock and the same if your going to sleep on the ground.

Wise Old Owl
08-02-2009, 14:09
After some sleepless nights in Canada due to being drained of blood, the head net was useless as they would take advantage of the head net and get me on the ears. I would recommend the Byers Mosquito, with the right tarp you can hammock hang or place it on the ground beween two hiking poles, I hear you can do this with the HH as well, I just don't know about that. I will always recommend Deep Woods Off as well.

The Byers Mosquito and a tarp is efficient light and you will get some great sleep at an affordable price.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=26165&catid=member&orderby=views&direction=DESC&imageuser=11552&cutoffdate=-1

wahoo
08-02-2009, 22:03
Depends on where you are hiking. In the summer months I always assume that mosquitoes will be bad. Most of the time I use the stock Hennessy Hammock Backpacker Asym. I use a Adventure Medical Kits Emergency Bivvy to keep the bugs from biting through the hammock, works pretty good.