PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the Gregory Z55 Pack?

David@whiteblaze
08-02-2009, 14:39
I posted an earlier question about my gear before i recieved it, but I was wondering what you use all of the hooks and straps on the pack for.http://media.rei.com/media/xx/583b3b64-c437-4165-a3cd-d617fba9b0ae.jpg (http://www.rei.com/features/zoom.html?img440=/media/xx/583b3b64-c437-4165-a3cd-d617fba9b0ae%26style=784841%26sku=7848410010&imageServiceHost=http://www.rei.com/&productInfoServiceHost=http://www.rei.com/&TB_iframe=true&height=513&width=700)

Ranc0r
08-02-2009, 15:40
AN excellent pack - I have one as well. The two side straps on each side are for compression - to keep the bulk of the pack pulled in tight to the back.

The one dead center is for the front pocket - it also continues up under the lid to keep the cinch top snugged down. The other two vertical straps cinch the lid down.

Personally, I loosen the two lowest compression straps, and stick a water bottle and fuel in those side pouches, using the straps to keep them from bouncing up and out. One of the two upper straps I use to keep my umbrella secure and where I can reach it, as well as to compress the pack body.

The front pocket strap I use to hook my camp shoes to the outside of the pack when muddy. You don't want a bunch of weight dangling there, but my crocs don't stress the two attachment points at all. I keep my wet tarp and TP in that pocket, and maybe a snack and my pack cover. I've put my rain gear in there too, but I like it where I can reach from the left side zippered access port, inside.

The lid straps I use to secure the lid and compress the pack top to bottom. If I carried a sleeping pad, I might use them to secure it outside the pack as well, but I hang so there's no need. There's a couple more straps under the bottom of the pack body, and I just use them to keep from shoving the load down too hard. I may end up cutting those off at some point, as they seem extraneous.

The load lifter and hip belt stabilizers are explained pretty well in the adjustment leaflet, also found on the Gregory website. If I carried an ice axe and hatchet, I'd use those two gear loops and rig something with the handle under the top compression straps - but I don't carry such on a typical hike.

Pack it up and go for a walk. You will likely find that something isn't where you'd like it to be, and start playing with gear placement yourself. Once the rain hits, you'll start shuffling gear around REAL QUICK. If I do an overnighter or weekend walk with a new pack, I find I move stuff around each time I load it up until I find a system that works for me. You will too.

Ranc0r

David@whiteblaze
08-02-2009, 15:50
thx, i couldn't figure out what the "tool hangers" were until you told me, I dont't have enough equipment for a full hiking trip yet, if and when I get a "job" I will be able to take a real test hike. I noticed sort of a pouch inside of the main vestibule, it looks just like the pouch on a camelbak and I was wondering if you do/would put a water bladder in that or any suggestions from anyone would be great. It doesn't have a "real" owners manual so if anyone could post little things that they do or would suggest for me to do, i will appreciate it.

Ranc0r
08-04-2009, 08:41
Sure, I've used that sleeve for a bladder, and there's a gusset (flap, thing) just above the side zipper "access port" for your drink tube. And I'm very tempted to remove the axe loops, as that's just un-needed weight that cannot be cannibalized for anything else.

I wish the lid came off a little easier, but if I'm ditching the lid I guess it doesn't really matter how long it takes to re-attach later. Plus then you have the straps just hanging there - they don't stow anywhere all that well.

I love my Z55. At 3 lb. it isn't terrible, carries really well, and best of all, my back gets some airflow - the bane of internal frames IMO. I caught a discontinued blue color model late last year for cheap and it's by far my favorite pack at the mo'.

Ranc0r

Manwich
08-04-2009, 09:23
With exception to the sleeping pad (I carry a big agnes inflatable thats buried in my pack,) I use my G Z55 in the same exact fashion as Ranc0r

Cabin Fever
08-04-2009, 09:30
With exception to the sleeping pad (I carry a big agnes inflatable thats buried in my pack,) I use my G Z55 in the same exact fashion as Ranc0r

+1. I also use a z55 with a BA pad.

Alex
08-04-2009, 10:14
The axe loops are handy for carrying your trekking poles sometimes.

Manwich
08-04-2009, 10:20
I cut my axe loops off. Saved like 13 grams of weight.

David@whiteblaze
08-04-2009, 10:26
oh, woot woot, what so you could stash your poles at a b&b so you don't lose them and bring like, 2 less tylenol, or bring 2 more tylenol and lose your poles somewhere, I don't know, but I don't think that he gear loops are going to be "The straw that broke the camel's back"

Manwich
08-04-2009, 10:30
Careful now, boy. I was making a joke.

JaxHiker
08-05-2009, 08:48
I almost bought the Z55 but went with the Deuter Lite 65 instead. I've become less enchanted with bladders since you never really know how much water you have left. Also, no matter how many people say they can do it I don't really find it practical to fill the bladder in the pack since it's getting compressed by all the other gear. If the Z55 had side pockets where I could put 1-liter bottles I would've bought it. ymmv.

Cabin Fever
08-05-2009, 09:35
I almost bought the Z55 but went with the Deuter Lite 65 instead. I've become less enchanted with bladders since you never really know how much water you have left. Also, no matter how many people say they can do it I don't really find it practical to fill the bladder in the pack since it's getting compressed by all the other gear. If the Z55 had side pockets where I could put 1-liter bottles I would've bought it. ymmv.

Umm, have you seen the "basket" on the back? I have carried a bladder in it on many occasions.

David@whiteblaze
08-05-2009, 12:37
heh, I'm going on a youth rafting trip and used my pack as a bag for the trip. I barely got all my stuff in it and what do ya know, the top cinch strap breaks. of course this happens at midnight so i can only file a claim on my computer, which, as it happens, decides that it doesn't want to cooperate and let me use it, so i go to bed, get up, mow the lawn, eat lunch, and call gregory. Someone picks up and asks where she can direct my call and figures out that I need customer service. She asks what the problem is and I said tha I bought a Z55 and the male buckle broke, and she told me that there was a bad batch of buckles for the Z55 and that they would mail me stronger replacement buckles free of charge.

I didn't have to tell my barcode number or anything. Now THAT's what I call customer service.

JPro
08-05-2009, 12:53
I didn't like the Z55 and ended up returning mine. My main issue with it was the very large cushion in lumbar area was very uncomfortable for me. When I first noticed the large cushion it seemed like a good design feature but walking around for some time proved otherwise. That said, the Z55 is highly recommended everywhere, so it must be doing something right.

I'm 5' 10'' and 150 lbs., for reference.

JaxHiker
08-08-2009, 23:10
I've become less enchanted with bladders since you never really know how much water you have left.

Umm, have you seen the "basket" on the back? I have carried a bladder in it on many occasions.
Umm, can you read? I don't want to carry a bladder.

David@whiteblaze
08-18-2009, 23:19
I finally composed a response to this.

After much deliberation, it has come to my attention that, technically speaking mind you, on the trail, you carry everything that you need in or on your pack, save a great deal of water of course, for this can be found readily availible virtually anywhere on the trail, exepting then of course, Dante's Inferno in Pennsylvania. Therefore by carrying everything you need you should access everything every time that you camp. When all is accessed, the pack in question is therefore unpacked to the extent of it's contents allowance, and the bladder therefore accessible. When the pack in question is fully packed, and the water bladder depleted of it's contents, a Nalgene bottle will serve duty in place of the deprived bladder.

That's how I can use a water bladder with this pack, as well as using the Nalgene as ,respectively, A sock container, Measuring tankard, Water bottle, weapon(if my brother comes along, I can knock some of the sense of the trail into him)(wish me luck:D).
I have also proven that I can be as dull as anyone who wrote all of those laws that we have to listen to every time someone is about to be hung in an old-style movie.

Hikes with a stick
08-19-2009, 07:48
There is a feature that is not really obvious, and that is that you can buckle the side compression straps together over the bucket pocket, and use it to secure a wet tarp or fly outside of the pack. Causes you to loose use of your side compression straps though.

Overall, A great pack. I just wish the pocket in the top lid was slightly larger.

David@whiteblaze
08-19-2009, 09:43
yeah, me too, about the pocket that is.

JaxHiker
08-19-2009, 21:10
I finally composed a response to this.

After much deliberation, it has come to my attention that, technically speaking mind you, on the trail, you carry everything that you need in or on your pack, save a great deal of water of course, for this can be found readily availible virtually anywhere on the trail, exepting then of course, Dante's Inferno in Pennsylvania. Therefore by carrying everything you need you should access everything every time that you camp. When all is accessed, the pack in question is therefore unpacked to the extent of it's contents allowance, and the bladder therefore accessible. When the pack in question is fully packed, and the water bladder depleted of it's contents, a Nalgene bottle will serve duty in place of the deprived bladder.

That's how I can use a water bladder with this pack, as well as using the Nalgene as ,respectively, A sock container, Measuring tankard, Water bottle, weapon(if my brother comes along, I can knock some of the sense of the trail into him)(wish me luck:D).
I have also proven that I can be as dull as anyone who wrote all of those laws that we have to listen to every time someone is about to be hung in an old-style movie.

To each his own. I don't unload my entire pack every time I camp. That seems ridiculous to me. Frankly, I don't want to have to remove the bladder once it's there. That's why I have quick-disconnects to attach it to my filter in the pack.

MikenSalem
08-19-2009, 22:22
My top lid zipper came loose on my Z55 and I called got a RMA, they sent me a new one in less than 2 weeks. :D
I never had a problem looking at the bladder to see what's left. Usually I know about how much I've drank and purify a liter and dump it in when it's time. I don't even remove the bladder from the pack, it's never a problem.
Every time I hang something on the outside to dry I loose it. There's socks, bandanna's and stuff strewn all over the woods. If ya' think TP is bad in the woods you never smelled a toxic sock.:eek:

David@whiteblaze
08-19-2009, 22:34
To each his own. I don't unload my entire pack every time I camp. That seems ridiculous to me. Frankly, I don't want to have to remove the bladder once it's there. That's why I have quick-disconnects to attach it to my filter in the pack.
I was refering to, if you camp at night, you should generally need tent, sleeping pad and bag, FOOOD!!! and therefore, stove. that is the most of the bulkiest items so that your bladder should be readily accesible.

reddenbacher
08-19-2009, 23:04
mine busted before Neils gap.hipbelt broke.they sent me a new one and vola it broke again.i then bought a mystery ranch.tough as nails.bombproof.it still works great

David@whiteblaze
08-19-2009, 23:07
mine busted before Neils gap.hipbelt broke.they sent me a new one and vola it broke again.i then bought a mystery ranch.tough as nails.bombproof.it still works great
wow... it's mine now, and it's the only one i have, so i suppose ill just grin and bear with it.

JaxHiker
08-20-2009, 09:27
I was refering to, if you camp at night, you should generally need tent, sleeping pad and bag, FOOOD!!! and therefore, stove. that is the most of the bulkiest items so that your bladder should be readily accesible.
What's a tent?

Well, I already addressed the bladder. If you like the pack I'm happy for you. It didn't fit my needs.

David@whiteblaze
08-20-2009, 10:12
What's a tent?

Well, I already addressed the bladder. If you like the pack I'm happy for you. It didn't fit my needs.
Well, when i get a chance to hike, ill hmoh, and you can hyoh. i just wanted to make evident that the pouch doesn't need to b useless because it has a bladder in it.

JaxHiker
08-20-2009, 10:28
I'm not saying the pouch is useless. I don't believe I ever said that. I simply stated that I prefer side pockets for easy access to bottles. The Z55 doesn't provide this. I don't want to carry bottles in the pouch because I don't have easy access. That's it. I'm done.

David@whiteblaze
08-20-2009, 11:57

Umm, can you read? I don't want to carry a bladder.

I'm not saying the pouch is useless. I don't believe I ever said that. I simply stated that I prefer side pockets for easy access to bottles. The Z55 doesn't provide this. I don't want to carry bottles in the pouch because I don't have easy access. That's it. I'm done.
I was reffering to the response cabinfever gave. If you put the bladder in the "basket, there is not much else bulky items that will fit.

JaxHiker
08-20-2009, 13:03
Whoops. :)

David@whiteblaze
08-20-2009, 16:18
Whoops. :)
hehe, I would've assumed the same thing with what I said about "the pouch", and all of the talking about the pouch for watter bladders. my bad, not yours.