PDA

View Full Version : Medium Alice pack viable?

Mu-Chan
08-02-2009, 15:36
Ive tried hiking with the large alice pack, and i can say without a doubt, that is was hella uncomfortable.

But before i go with anything else, id like to know if any of you have ever used a medium alice (with frame).

Is it better than the large? Or just as cumbersome?

Thanks~

Ranc0r
08-02-2009, 15:49
Depends on your build and your load. I have the improved shoulder straps and hip belt on one medium ruck, and I like to for 2-3 day trips and 20-25 lb loads. It runs almost 6 lbs. empty - too heavy. Any more weight than that and I'd want some sort of frame sheet or structure. Can't see why I'd ever haul a large or a CP-90, unless there was a crew served or squad assault weapon that I had to hump ammo for.

I find the medium (sans frame) to have no backbone when I load it with my typical gear, so I end up having to shift gear around way too much to keep the load comfortable. The medium on its frame is just too heavy - I'd rather take a real external frame pack, as the Alice is really just a packboard with a bag hanging from it. But there again, if the ammo is still crated up or in cans, that bottom ledge on the packboard works just fine.

Semper Fi

Ranc0r

take-a-knee
08-02-2009, 18:45
The medium and large ALICE packs both use the same frame so your question is moot. Both packs suck if you are taller than about 5'7". If you have an ALICE pack and really want to use it, get a Coleman RAM-X frame for it and an aftermarket waist belt. I'll stick with my ULA Catalyst.

beakerman
08-03-2009, 00:26
The medium and large alice packs share the same frame. The only differences are size of the ruck sack and the medium pack can be used without the frame.

So if you found the large alice to be uncomfortable then the medium witht he same load will very likely be just as uncomfortable to you.

slowandlow
08-06-2009, 16:35
Do yourself a favor and avoid all military-style packs.

Hooch
08-06-2009, 18:51
Agreeing with TAK and others, I'd avoid ALICE packs like the plague. Having carried both medium and large ALICE packs for many miles during my years in the military, I can say that both are horribly uncomfortable, very heavy and generally poorly made. Remember, military gear is made by the lowest bidder.

zeus307
08-06-2009, 19:25
I to have "humped" many a mile in both types, Large and small. I agree, stay away from Alice packs on the trail. I have hike in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and to many countries to mention.
A good external frame pack, coleman, Jansoprt, Kelty will do you much better and you will thank yourself after the first day!!

Once a grunt, always a grunt!!! 3/75

birdog
08-10-2009, 08:01
Your a brave one sir. Alice packs and backpacking have nothing in common. On the trail they are as welcome as ants on a picnic. Save the lb's and pain-get a lightweight well made pack. Go-lite, ULA, Granite Gear, and others are good starts. Remember this: if your pack weighs 6 lbs. you are starting out with more weight than most people carry in their pack, bag, and pad!!!!

WalkinHome
08-10-2009, 15:04
I use my trusty ALICE for trail maintenance (fairly short distances). Handles a chain saw well. Indestructible and versatile.

Tipi Walter
08-10-2009, 15:16
I use my trusty ALICE for trail maintenance (fairly short distances). Handles a chain saw well. Indestructible and versatile.

I liked using the ALICE with a moderate load and without the frame, it always felt good and was a change o' pace from my usually overloaded external. My Alice had the fancy padded shoulder straps with the quick release feature and the spring loaded steel toothed wheel, etc etc. Loved the shoulder straps and they never slipped. Never did like the frame much and so most of my humpage was using the pack as a sort of serious looking daypack, although it was a full bore backpack and got me out on several trips.

Like any pack without a hipbelt, fully loaded the thing hung off my shoulders like a cinder block and caused my hands to swell up and my neck to pulsate throbs of pain into my head. Between 50-60 pounds and you'll be howling, especially when you realize 40 or 50% of all your gear will have to strapped somewhere on the outside.

I liked the bombproof nature of the pack but phew, the three back pockets didn't close fully and so stuff could fall out if you take a tumble, plus the tiny "map pocket" on the tiny "top lid" seemed a pitiful afterthought. There's something about the ALICE though, it always made me want to load it up and find the worst rhodo-choked valley in NC to bushwack thru, and then set up camp feeling like a green beret wannabe.

Wise Old Owl
08-10-2009, 15:37
Tipi likes keeping it positive!