Simplicity: good - 2
Maintenance: Little (good) - 2
Pre-filter? murky water (good) - 2

PUMP FILTER: MSR Hyperflow
Filters: 3 liter/ minute (best)- 3
Weight: 209 g/ 7.4 ounces (worst)- 1
Volume of H2O/ filter: 1000 liters (best) - 3
KILLS: Bacteria and protozoa (everything on the AT) (good)-2
Taste: enhances taste of dirty water and does not harm taste of clean water (best) - 3
Retail cost/ 1000 Liters: $100.00 (best) - 3
Pack Space required: Worst - 1
Use with: wide mouth bottles or bags (or improvise) (good) -2
Simplicity: worst - 1
Maintenence: More (worst) - 1
Pre-filter? Not required (best)- 3

CHEMICAL: AQUAMIRA
Filters: Infinite Q of H2O in 30 minutes (worst) -1
Weight: ~85 grams/ 3 ounes (best) -3
Volume of H2O/ container of drops: 120 liters (good) -2
KILLS: Bacteria and protozoa (everything on the AT) (good)- 2
Taste: enhances taste of dirty water and does not harm taste of clean water (good) - 2
Retail cost/ 1000 Liters: $125.00 (good) - 2
Pack Space required: best - 3
Use with: Any water container (best) - 3
Simplicity: Best - 3
Maintenence: none (best) - 3
Pre-filter? murky water (good)- 2

Conclusion: If you are going to Mexico, take the steripen. If you are a weight-freak, take aquamira. If you are afraid of getting sunburn, don't take the steripen (just kidding...;)). If you are cheap, take the filter. If you can't or don't want to resupply, take the filter.

If you are none of those things, by my rating system

RESULTS: UV: 19
Filter: 23
Chemical: 26

Looks like Aquamira is the way to go...

Lilred
08-02-2009, 17:33
You didn't include gravity filter using platy's.... :-?

I did my research so read up!

UV PEN: Steripen Adventurer:
Filters: 16 ounces in 48 seconds (good)- 2
Weight: 110 g/ 4 ounces(good)- 2
Volume of H2O/ battery: 58 liters (worst) -1
KILLS: EVERYTHING (best) - 3
Taste: does not affect taste of dirty or clean water (worst) -1
Retail cost/ 1000 Liters: ~$180 (worst) -1
Pack Space required: good -2
Use with: small bottles with wide mouths (not bags) (worst)-1

Taste: enhances taste of dirty water and does not harm taste of clean water (best) - 3

Taste: enhances taste of dirty water and does not harm taste of clean water (good) - 2

Conclusion: If you are going to Mexico, take the steripen. If you are a weight-freak, take aquamira. If you are afraid of getting sunburn, don't take the steripen (just kidding...;)). If you are cheap, take the filter. If you can't or don't want to resupply, take the filter.

Ol Mole
08-02-2009, 19:00
Thanks for the analysis. There are a couple of other things to consider in my opinion. The pen and filter can "grab" water that is hard to get at. I am torn between the filter and the chemical. I carry coffee filters to use with the chemical as a pre filter.

Egads
08-02-2009, 19:12
I've been telling anyone who will listen for several years, Aquamira is the way to go :-?

BrianLe
08-03-2009, 02:44
Everyone will weight various factors in different ways to make their own decision of course. Some additional factors that could be considered include how long to wait to drink if you arrive at a water source "dry" (chemicals lose on that test), field weight vs. dry weight of filters (once used you don't get it bone dry again when in use), chemicals can make a "dirty water" container "clean" again and inhibit growth of whatever it is that grows in water bottles ... i.e., there are some other lessor but still significant (if not always so easy to measure) factors.

Also, the "kills" category isn't quite as binary (yes/no) as implied here; Aqua Mira treats everything, just not all things with the same effectiveness as boiling or steripen in clear water.

Kerosene
08-03-2009, 07:41
I ended up going with Aqua Mira, despite inconvenient water sources during my Fall hikes. I also use a coffee filter to pre-filter before I add the drops, although this can take quite a bit of time.

It is extremely difficult to keep a filter setup completely sanitary.

Cannibal
08-03-2009, 11:41
I carry coffee filters to use with the chemical as a pre filter.
Try the foot of a pair of pantyhose. Much lighter, reuseable, and fairly fine filtering.
Good stuff there gcobb1990! I carry a SteriPen or a HyperFlow depending on the hike. Nice to know the stats.

flemdawg1
08-03-2009, 14:03
I did my research so read up!

UV PEN: Steripen Adventurer:

Filters: 16 ounces in 48 seconds (good)- 2
Weight: 110 g/ 4 ounces(good)- 2
Volume of H2O/ battery: 58 liters (worst) -1
KILLS: EVERYTHING (best) - 3
Taste: does not affect taste of dirty or clean water (worst) -1
Retail cost/ 1000 Liters: ~$180 (worst) -1
Pack Space required: good -2
Use with: small bottles with wide mouths (not bags) (worst)-1

A few corrections.

Cost per 1000 liters: Steripen cost $100 (backcountrygear or altrec) + $40 batteries (comes w/ 1 set + 4 replacement sets @ $10 each) = $140
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=STP105[/URL]
http://www.rei.com/search?query=CR123 (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/STP104)

Research has been done that shows the Steripen usable for bladders by doing the treatment cycles the # of times as the liters being treated (2x for 2l, 3x for 3l).
[URL]http://www.steripen.com/PDF/A&LBladderP248Revised9408.pdf

Fiddleback
08-03-2009, 20:06
...Also, the "kills" category isn't quite as binary (yes/no) as implied here; Aqua Mira treats everything, just not all things with the same effectiveness as boiling or steripen in clear water.

And to be even more specific, neither filters nor Steripen "kills" the buggies. Filters do what the name implys...filter the bugs, i.e., remove them from the water that passes through. The bugs remain alive in the filter for whatever time they can survive outside the medium from which they were removed. In contrast, the Steripen, through its UV radiation, inactivates buggies -- disrupting their DNA thereby making it impossible for them to reproduce. They remain alive*, i.e., do all their buggy things except reproduce. And, without the capability to reproduce, they cannot attain the population necessary to 'infect' a backpacker. Bottom line though is that filters, Steripen, and chemical treatment are all effective just in different ways and with their own, different limitations.

It appears that the most effective chemical treatment for backpacking applications is chlorine dioxide and I think that's the only chemical treatment now offered by Aquamira. Klear Water is another brand.

Interestingly, there's been quite a movement by municipal water suppliers to both UV and chlorine dioxide treatments. Part of the motivation was outbreaks of giardia from treated municipal water. The old methods, to include the old chorination treatment, wasn't getting the job done. Proponents of bleach take note.

FB

*Maybe not in the strictest sense. Some include the ability to reproduce in the definition of "life".

Feral Bill
08-03-2009, 20:32
I would really like to go chemical, but... Please reference the 30 minute treatment time with Aquamira. Materials I've read say 4 hours. That's too long, and would require an extra water bottle, more than eliminating the weight advantage.

Egads
08-03-2009, 20:38
I would really like to go chemical, but... Please reference the 30 minute treatment time with Aquamira. Materials I've read say 4 hours. That's too long, and would require an extra water bottle, more than eliminating the weight advantage.

The tabs are 4 hours, the 2 part liquid is 20 minutes. I usually can plan 20 minutes ahead.

Tinker
08-03-2009, 21:29
Gee! When I go shopping at Wholefoods, I look for stuff with lots of chemicals in it.........NOT!
Thanks, but I'll carry my First Need and still have a pack lighter than most folks (just ask the "Fools").
Save your weight somewhere else.
Of note: There are some places where it is very difficult to get water which is not contaminated with chemicals (along the Housatonic River in Mass, for instance, where notices are posted not to drink the water). Only a filter helps in these situations.

Egads
08-03-2009, 21:35
There are some places where it is very difficult to get water which is not contaminated with chemicals (along the Housatonic River in Mass, for instance, where notices are posted not to drink the water). Only a filter helps in these situations.

You are kidding yourself if you think the ceramic filter actually filters out chemicals. Filters work by screening solids which are too large to pass thru the filter media. Don't drink the water signs mean Don't drink the water.

Snowleopard
08-03-2009, 21:47
My understanding is that Aquamira tablets will take out giardia and cryptosporidium with a 4 hour treatment time. The 20 or 30 minute treatment time is adequate for bacteria. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19236&disable_pagination=1
I find it disturbing that I can't find giardia treatment times on Aquamira's website.

There is giardia and cryptosporidium in Mass. and it has been associated with how municipal and home water is treated. In a 3 year period (1993 to 1996??) there were around 4000 confirmed cases of giardia in Mass. spread out over 85% in eastern Mass. http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1308600&blobtype=pdf The references cited in that article imply that VT and NH had similar problems with giardia.

My understanding is that filters and Iodine tablets take care of giardia and cryptosporidium, and that, unless you're willing to wait 4 hours, aquamira does not.

Snowleopard
08-03-2009, 21:52
Of note: There are some places where it is very difficult to get water which is not contaminated with chemicals (along the Housatonic River in Mass, for instance, where notices are posted not to drink the water). Only a filter helps in these situations.
Egads is right. Most backpacking filters won't remove harmful chemicals and the chemical treatments don't help.

I grew up in CT (along the Naugatuck River) and I'd rather drink raw sewage than water from the Housatonic or Naugatuck Rivers. There was substantial industrial waste dumped into these rivers.

ChinMusic
08-03-2009, 22:02
The tabs are 4 hours, the 2 part liquid is 20 minutes. I usually can plan 20 minutes ahead.
I'm a UV guy but chemical would be my #2 choice on the AT. A filter would be my DISTANT third on the AT. A filter would be my #1 where I KNOW my water sources won't be clear enough. That is not the case on the AT.

I love the no-fuss-no-muss with regards to the UV. With UV I don't even have to take off my pack if I choose.

With UV: Man thirsty. Man zap water. Man drink.
With Chem: Man thirsty. Man treat water. Man wait. Man drink.

I've hiked with PLENTY of folks that use filters. NONE of them are as fast as a Steripen. Real life is not: Get out your stuff, hook it up - ready, set, go.

Feral Bill
08-03-2009, 23:54

The discussion Snowleopard links to suggests not. At least in the case of protists and colder water. :(

Mags
08-04-2009, 00:03
No matter what you do or do not do for water treatment, don't forget the most important thing of all that many backpackers forget:

WASH THOSE HANDS

Before eating and after doing #2.

Also, always pour shared food into other hikers hands.

People placing their dirty paws into your food is an excellent way to spreading "geoirms" (said in Brookylnese).

That is all. :)

Tinker
08-04-2009, 07:45
You are kidding yourself if you think the ceramic filter actually filters out chemicals. Filters work by screening solids which are too large to pass thru the filter media. Don't drink the water signs mean Don't drink the water.
I didn't drink the water. I filtered from approved sources.
I use a First Need purifier.
Anything else is just a filter.

http://www.generalecology.com/category/portable/product/first_need_xl_portable_water_purifier-new

Fiddleback
08-04-2009, 12:54
I've hiked with PLENTY of folks that use filters. NONE of them are as fast as a Steripen. Real life is not: Get out your stuff, hook it up - ready, set, go.

Convenience (and time savings, I guess) is why I use a Bota filter bottle while hoofing down the trail. Fill the bottle, squeeze and drink. I like to plan my trail trips along streams/lakes and I'm fortunate to have lots of choices in my area. The Bota is great for those situations! In camp when my water usage is heavier I'll set up bladders for chorine dioxide treatment...or someday, I'll bring that new Steripen...

FB

gcobb1990
08-04-2009, 13:22
I'm a UV guy but chemical would be my #2 choice on the AT. A filter would be my DISTANT third on the AT. A filter would be my #1 where I KNOW my water sources won't be clear enough. That is not the case on the AT.

I love the no-fuss-no-muss with regards to the UV. With UV I don't even have to take off my pack if I choose.

With UV: Man thirsty. Man zap water. Man drink.
With Chem: Man thirsty. Man treat water. Man wait. Man drink.

haha this just made my day! and it is a very good point.

Rain Man
08-04-2009, 14:56
I have and used a Katadyn water filter for several years. It has charcoal in it, if I'm not mistaken, so I feel it may take out some chemicals.

Recently I got a Steri-pen and it is all I use now. I'd go back to the filter if I expected dirty water, but so far I have never run into dirty water on the AT, from GA to VA.

Rain:sunMan

Lilred
08-04-2009, 15:30
I have and used a Katadyn water filter for several years. It has charcoal in it, if I'm not mistaken, so I feel it may take out some chemicals.

Recently I got a Steri-pen and it is all I use now. I'd go back to the filter if I expected dirty water, but so far I have never run into dirty water on the AT, from GA to VA.

Rain:sunMan

You must not have hiked during caterpillar season then. Southern to middle VA can have some nasty water sources when they are filled with dead caterpillars. YUCK!!. I just switched to a gravity filter and love it compared to the hand pumps.

mak52580
01-06-2010, 14:08
I have Aquamira, a Steripen Adventurer and gravity filter and use each one depending on the circumstances. Where I do most of my hiking in northern and central VA, the water is usually flowing and "mostly" free of sediment. Since there are no viruses to really worry about the Steripen Adventurer is overkill IMHO. Also, since I use Platys, I would need to carry a Nalgene with a wide mouth to stir the water, negating any weight savings over the gravity filter.

If I am expecting sediment, I bring the gravity filter

When I travel overseas to work (mostly Africa, Asia and Latin America) the Steripen, pre-filter and Nalgene go with me EVERYWHERE. I have used this in Sudan, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe (during the most recent cholera outbreak) and have never had a problem. Bottom line... the thing WORKS!!

Two Speed
01-06-2010, 15:31
Oh, boy, another argument about water treatment. :cool:
I've been telling anyone who will listen for several years, Aquamira is the way to go :-?Seems to be my method of choice, recently. Least offensive taste in the chemical treatment as far as I'm concerned.*
. . . Also, the "kills" category isn't quite as binary (yes/no) as implied here; Aqua Mira treats everything, just not all things with the same effectiveness as boiling or steripen in clear water.Good point. Of course Aqua Mira, or more specifically the active ingredient, chlorine dioxide can be more effective on some organisms than other treatment methods.
You are kidding yourself if you think the ceramic filter actually filters out chemicals . . . Ayup, exactly correct.
My understanding is that Aquamira tablets will take out giardia and cryptosporidium with a 4 hour treatment time. The 20 or 30 minute treatment time is adequate for bacteria.Not positive, but I suspect that extended contact time is for giardia & crypto in the cyst stage. Tough to get to any bacteria in that mode with chemical treatment.
No matter what you do or do not do for water treatment, don't forget the most important thing of all that many backpackers forget:

WASH THOSE HANDSBasic hygiene is a frequently neglected aspect of this issue. All the water treatment in the world won't keep you from getting sick if you use nasty, grubby hands to eat with, or allow other hiker's nasty, grubby hands in your gorp or trail mix. Scrubbing cookware clean every other day or two ain't such a bad idea, either.

Oddly enought there's a real good article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=119497#post119497) right here on WhiteBlaze. Well worth the time to read and understand.

* Disclaimer: I am apostate, and frequently drink water found along trails without treatment. Yes, I know I'm going straight to Hell.

Graywolf
01-07-2010, 22:37
I am just curious where he is getting the aquamira from? $125 seems pretty high..I can get it on line for a kit at $14.95 and even less at REI.. Now, of course if he is adding the cost of the total thru-hike, well then, he should have made that clear...

Jester2000
01-07-2010, 22:47
I am just curious where he is getting the aquamira from? $125 seems pretty high..I can get it on line for a kit at $14.95 and even less at REI.. Now, of course if he is adding the cost of the total thru-hike, well then, he should have made that clear...

He made it clear that he was talking about cost per 1000 liters:

. . . but perhaps not clear enough?

LTROSS
01-23-2010, 13:02
Is aquamira the same or comparable to regular iodine tablets?
Has anyone heard of any issues with long term iodine usage?

JustaTouron
01-23-2010, 13:54
Chemicals is also the way to go for day hikers.

If I am going for a long weekend, I bring a filter, I would rather not disgest the chemicals. But if I am going overnight or just on a dayhike in which I am bringing enough water to last me the entire trip I bring the tablets as an emergency precaution.

Both are stored in our "Oh my god, DHS/Red Cross recomended bag" that my better half assembled while we watch NOLA images on TV.

BrianLe
01-23-2010, 14:31
"Is aquamira the same or comparable to regular iodine tablets?"

No. Chlorine Dioxide vs. Potassium Iodide, different chemical entirely, different trade-offs and issues. Long term use: I suggest that rather than asking here that you do your own web search and read material that's out there. Personally I'm happy with long term Aqua Mira use, but would not be with iodine tablets.

Mountain Wildman
01-23-2010, 15:49
General Ecology

First Need XL

Portable Water Purifier

The First Need XL Water Purifier by General Ecology is the only chemical-free portable water filter that is independently certified to meet federal EPA microbiological purification standards against cysts, bacteria and viruses. The new XL version (replacing the First Need Deluxe Water Purifier) can filter up to 150 gallons of water on one cartridge and has an improved 2 quarts per minute flow rate.

Effective Protection Against

Protozoa, including Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Cyclospora, and Entamoeba histolytica
Bacteria, including Staphylococcus aureus, Clostridium perfringens, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella and E. coli
Organic chemicals, including herbicides, pesticides, diesel fuel, chlorine and toxic chemicals
Viruses, including those that cause polio and Hepatitis A
Aesthetic Contaminants, foul taste. odor, color
Supposedly, This is the only Water system that can claim it is a Purifier as well as filter.

Hosaphone
01-24-2010, 13:35
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I use Steripen only because I don't like the idea of putting more chlorine (or iodine or bleach) into my system over an extended period of time. I'll probably get skin cancer from the UV :rolleyes:

wvgrinder
02-14-2010, 22:08
Wow, these forums are wonderful! I was last on the AT in '91 & I'm hopping back on in 2011. On my first hike from Springer to Harper's Ferry, I didn't treat or filter any water. This time out, I don't think I could be as lucky. All of this information is sooooooo helpful!

scope
02-14-2010, 22:51
Is there much of a difference between Aquamira, Katadyn Micropur, and the Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide tablets? Folks seem to all be talking about Aquamira here like its the only real chemical choice, is that so?

p.s. it seems somewhat funny to me that some have pointed out that a filter doesn't remove chemicals... ummm, is that going to be a problem on the AT or most mountain trails?

Tinker
02-15-2010, 00:57
According to the manufacturer it does.
Btw: The First Need is not a ceramic filter.
I would have to agree with you that a ceramic filter does not remove chemicals.

Tinker
02-15-2010, 01:05
Is there much of a difference between Aquamira, Katadyn Micropur, and the Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide tablets? Folks seem to all be talking about Aquamira here like its the only real chemical choice, is that so?

p.s. it seems somewhat funny to me that some have pointed out that a filter doesn't remove chemicals... ummm, is that going to be a problem on the AT or most mountain trails?

Chemical pollutants are a problem in most surface drinking water sources at lower altitudes. The AT isn't always on the mountain tops, as a matter of fact, when a person goes looking for water, the surest place to find it is lower down the mountain. Water sources in the (formerly) heavily mined areas along the AT in New York are mentioned in the guidebooks as being somewhat suspect for pollution.
This isn't Gilligan's Island.........

Big Dawg
02-15-2010, 10:46

I've not been able to find Aqua Mira at my local REI store or on REI's website.

Spokes
02-15-2010, 11:12
It'll be interesting hearing feedback from current thru-hikers using the Steripen this year. I heard plenty of complaints last year from fellow hikers about error messages, excess battery drainage, and lousy customer service from Steripen.

ChinMusic
02-15-2010, 11:26
I heard plenty of complaints last year from fellow hikers about error messages, excess battery drainage, ....
error messages: Keep contacts dry solves nearly all the problems.
batteries: use lithium....problem solved. standard batteries do NOT hold up well in the cold.

10-K
02-15-2010, 11:46
<11111111111111>

Spokes
02-15-2010, 12:05
error messages: Keep contacts dry solves nearly all the problems.
batteries: use lithium....problem solved. standard batteries do NOT hold up well in the cold.

Not always.

Plenty of hikers last year were using the "correct" (http://www.steripen.com/batterytesting.html) batteries but still got the standard runaround response from Steripen Customer Service about checking and using proper batteries. They just didn't want to admit to all the problems experienced in their units. Sort of reminded me the current Toyota recall fiasco.

As far as the error messages- a Steripen Customer Service rep actually told Birdman last year the cause of his error messages was due to improper electrolyte detection and advised him to SPIT ON THE PROBE or DIP IN GATORADE prior to using the unit............... Amazing.

SGT Rock
02-15-2010, 12:09
I just started using Steripen. I got one of the lighter ones that use 123 batteries. The jury is still out, but I ain't sick so far.

Water treatment solutions are all matters of faith. Trying to convince someone they are wrong is just as bad as trying to tell someone their religion is the wrong one. They will only convert when they want to or are ready to.

double d
02-15-2010, 12:27
Great discussion on this topic, with regards to REI and the issue of Aqua Mira, I don't think they stock enough of the product on, but they do carry it.

ChinMusic
02-15-2010, 12:37
As far as the error messages- a Steripen Customer Service rep actually told Birdman last year the cause of his error messages was due to improper electrolyte detection and advised him to SPIT ON THE PROBE or DIP IN GATORADE prior to using the unit............... Amazing.

That was an issue with the first batch of Steripens that came out several years ago. If the water was TOO pure the device could not tell that water was present. IMO that is a cop-out excuse. Newer units are not as sensitive. It would be quite rare to fine pure, demineralized water in the wild. Assuming good batteries, most error messages are from the contacts being wet proir to use.

The reason for the contacts needing contact with water is a safety issue. UV-C is dangerous to the eyes. One would NOT want to use the device out of water. The contacts prevent the user from using the device as a light or in a way that is dangerous to the eyes. UV-C does not penetrate the air/water interface nor plastic so it is safe to use as designed.

scope
02-15-2010, 13:27
Chemical pollutants are a problem in most surface drinking water sources at lower altitudes. The AT isn't always on the mountain tops, as a matter of fact, when a person goes looking for water, the surest place to find it is lower down the mountain. Water sources in the (formerly) heavily mined areas along the AT in New York are mentioned in the guidebooks as being somewhat suspect for pollution.
This isn't Gilligan's Island.........

OK, but is there anything that "treats" pollution? Does Aquamira do that? If not, then its about source selection, not treatment method.

Jester2000
02-15-2010, 14:39
OK, but is there anything that "treats" pollution? Does Aquamira do that? If not, then its about source selection, not treatment method.

Filters with activated carbon granulate do. That's about it as far as I'm aware.

Praha4
02-15-2010, 16:32
I just bought a Steripen Journey, decided to give it a try, seen so many hikers using Steripens on the trail lately, and I think its going to save time and weight. will keep auquamira as a backup

tothetrail
04-04-2010, 14:13
Love my Steri Pen!

WILLIAM HAYES
04-04-2010, 15:14
Over the years I have used them all First Need, MSR Katahdin, steri pen ,aqua mira, miox and have settled on the steri pen for weight quickness -batteries are not that much of an issue most places carry them my backup has always been aqua mira - the first need is a great filter but being a UL backpacker it ate up too much weight and space

Oogie Boogie
12-18-2010, 18:42
Not too many folks mentioning the Sawyer filter. I use one, and love it. Just like filling up a camel-back, you place the filter in-line, put a mouth-piece and hose clamp on the end and sip as you walk. The thing's spec'd for 1200 liters a day, I notice almost no difference as I draw water from the bag. Cleaning is just a back-flush, and if you put a stocking or t-shirt over the filling hole for the bag when tanking up, doesn't need doing very often.

One-time cost of ~$70, no chemicals, no batteries, no empty plastic bottles... and no waiting or pumping.

I have iodine as a back-up, and I'd rather take my chances with iodine than chlorine dioxide, if I have to use either, personally. I don't do the cold weather thing yet, but when not in use, I keep the filter itself in my inside jacket pocket or sleeping bag as a matter of habit. It's worth the weight to me.

rastayogi
05-29-2012, 01:08
I have been using my filter and have loved it so far. I hike in Colorado where the water is ice cold and fairly clean. I just feel real uneasy about putting chlorine in my water. I already don't drink the tap water. Any word on the health aspects of adding chemicals to your water?

Skid.
05-29-2012, 08:46
All are very close by your standards, and could be tweaked to the point that they are all equal by your standards (for example, if I wear the SteriPen on my belt, 'pack space required' just went to better than all others!

q-tip
05-29-2012, 10:43
I dehydrate very fast=I use the Steripen on the trail during the day for water stops, and use the Aqua Mira in camp. I get the best of both worlds....

Bucho
05-31-2012, 22:59
Not too many folks mentioning the Sawyer filter. I use one, and love it.

I don't think that many hikers know about them yet. I certainly didn't when I started the AT, that's how I ended up with a ****typen. After going through 2 of those in about 500 miles I found out about the Sawyer 3 way. It's so much better....so so much better.

Bucho
05-31-2012, 23:02
ChinMusic are you affiliated with Hydro-Photon somehow?

ChinMusic
06-01-2012, 00:58
ChinMusic are you affiliated with Hydro-Photon somehow?

Nope, just a satisfied end-user that knows quite a bit about this technology. Since my last post in this thread I have had over two more years of flawless use.

ChinMusic
06-01-2012, 01:10
I'm a UV guy but chemical would be my #2 choice on the AT. A filter would be my DISTANT third on the AT.

That post was nearly three years ago.

I would now move filter to slightly ahead of chemical now. The Sawyer Squeeze and the Platypus GravityWorks are def products to look at closely. The GravityWorks would be great for social trips (more time in camp) and for groups, although it might be good for solos as well (Haven't seen it used in the field on a thru). I have seen folks using the Sawyer in the field with success. Both of these techniques are faster than traditional filtering (which I hate) and do not have the wait period needed with chemicals.

keepinitsimple
06-13-2012, 13:21
Hey, I know it's an old thread. I don't get out much, have a bad back etc. The Kahtadyn tabs seem like the best bet for me, I have to keep weight down. The 4 hour wait means I have to pick up a liter when I can, and not blow my load until I have a liter cleaning. Sound like a plan?

House of Payne
06-15-2012, 20:31
This thread was a great read! Pros and cons from all of the 3 major water cleaning items. I've been trying to get a grip on what system I'd like to use on my thru in 14'. In my early days of backpacking (starting in around 1978) it was only chemical or trusting the source. Today I own a first need purifier, a steripen classic and the chemicals. The chemicals are my primary backup, which might change soon. The streripen is new and on the fence due to bad reports and unreliability and the filter is definitely out due to weight and size. Tonight I read about the chemicals a bit more and I like the idea of knowing the water will be safe to drink, despite the time it takes to treat. The steripen may be something I try out more this summer on my trip to NH and VT but I have to overcome the fear of another new electronic failure.

Bucho
06-18-2012, 00:41
Today I own a first need purifier, a steripen classic and the chemicals.

I like the first need purifier, basically inherited one from my dad. It takes the color out of the water up here in the white mountains which makes my girlfriend happy. Unfortunately way too heavy for a thru hike. The steripen's cool when it works, of course it's about 4 times the weight of an inline filter such as the sawyer 3way and you have to worry about batteries.