PDA

View Full Version : What is the smallest sleeping bag?

David@whiteblaze
08-02-2009, 22:21
At least long enough for 5' 10" person, (i'm 5' 9") small means stuff size, temperature rating below 30 degrees F so that i can use it at all temps. $350 or less best ($150 or less better than best.) I don't need a lot of room, just a bit of squirm room.

GeneralLee10
08-02-2009, 23:23
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ Has nice bags and http://www.featheredfriends.com/ cost is not cheep though.

Kerosene
08-03-2009, 07:47
Take a look at the Western Mountaineering UltraLite (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=17). While there is no such bag that will work for you "at all temps", this 20F, 29 ounce bag is likely to fit the bill for most of your AT hikes.

Another alternative would be to purchase a somewhat roomier bag rated at 35F or 40F, and augment it with layers of clothing to stretch it to sub-freezing temps.

max patch
08-03-2009, 07:55
David, this is what you want:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

David@whiteblaze
08-03-2009, 08:48
good answers so far, let me clarify my "all temps" comment for a sec. I meant that I have a bag that I can sleep fully closed and be cozy warm, half open for temps that require at least a sweater if yiu don't use a sleeping bag, on top of my bag/ use as a pillow in Florida Summer heat. Example, last night I tested out my new Bivy in the backyard to see what it was like. I had no pad, no pillow, no sleeping bag, but was too warm most of the night. THeonly reason that I wouldn't take the bag i question is that it does not compact well, hence taking up half of the room in my pack.

David@whiteblaze
08-03-2009, 08:50
THeonly reason that I wouldn't take the bag i question is that it does not compact well, hence taking up half of the room in my pack.
"The only reason that I wouldn't take the bag in question"

Also, as a side note, i don't care what the bag is made from, down, synthetics, a poncho, I don't care.

buz
08-03-2009, 09:21
Montbell regular length bags are essentially a little on the short side, and would be perfect length for you, length wise. #2 ULSS would fit the bill, temp wise. IMO, the campmor bag is a good value, but too big for you, and not a real 20 degree bag. I think it is a good 30 degree bag and a nice price, but it is not really made for a smaller stature person, it is pretty roomy.

I vote you spend more money upfront, and have a bag good for many years, as long as you don't grow anymore, lol.

David@whiteblaze
08-03-2009, 17:15
Can answerers put in exact models/makes of bags so that I can research them more efficiently? I appreciate all the details and answers, but a bit more details on names would be the best.

Alli
08-03-2009, 20:10
That is a good question, being that you're only 14. Do you have any idea how tall you're "supposed" to be? If you're supposed to grow more I would pick up the Campmor bag as you'll be able to use it for a while.

Tinker
08-03-2009, 20:25
The positives of down - longer life, stuffs smaller, can be shifted to change temperature rating (if you get a bag without a sideblock baffle, you can redistribute the down to either side, leaving a thin spot in the middle for warm nights (unzipping it first and using it as a quilt).
The negatives - in a bivy, which you mentioned, humidity is very high, and condensation can soak a bag. Down doesn't work well wet.
For a bivy as exclusive shelter, I'd think about synthetics (and only for a bivy - down, for the most part, is vastly superior to synthetics for the reasons mentioned above.
I have a Feathered Friends Great Auk (which I believe is only available by special order now). It has a pocket in the bottom for a pad and is intended for use with another mummy bag inside for use below zero (F). I also have a Golite Feather-Lite bag rated to 40 degrees but have used it around a basic hammock (with a hot water bottle in an enclosed hammock "tent" [really a 10x12 foot tarp pitched like a tent, ends closed]) to +5 degrees. Sadly, it's been discontinued, too many people like zippers. My Montbell Ul down liner is only good to about 50 degrees, so it won't work. Unfortunately, it has a sideblock baffle, but needs it because it's a bit underfilled.

Tinker
08-03-2009, 20:29
David,
Learn about how sleeping bags are made, which materials are best for various conditions, and then you won't be a slave to brand names and the opinion of others. I've gotten some great deals on equipment over the years because I did my homework and didn't necessarily follow "the pack".

mkmangold
08-04-2009, 00:39
Try a Depends.

slowandlow
08-04-2009, 09:07
Take a look at the Western Mountaineering UltraLite (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=17). While there is no such bag that will work for you "at all temps", this 20F, 29 ounce bag is likely to fit the bill for most of your AT hikes.

While this bag exceeds your budget by just a few dollars, it will likely be the last one you have to buy for 20-30 years unless you need a bag for serious winter conditions (o degrees or below).

Cinched up it is comfortably warm to the low teens, and unzipped and layed over you as a quilt it doesnt begin to get too hot until the upper 60's, whereupon you could use it as a pillow as you suggested.

Compressability, which seems to be an important criteria for you, is excellent. In the stuff sack it is about the size of a 2-liter soda bottle. It is fun to pull it out of the stuff sack and watch it inflate like a balloon.

I can assure you that you will not be dissappointed with this bag.

David@whiteblaze
08-04-2009, 10:19
That is a good question, being that you're only 14. Do you have any idea how tall you're "supposed" to be? If you're supposed to grow more I would pick up the Campmor bag as you'll be able to use it for a while.
Well, let's just put down an explanation, I have been 5' 8 1/4" in. for about 4 months, until about let's say 5 days ago. I will turn 15 late October, an have size 13 feet. My dad is 5' 10 1/2" or so and for about oh, I don't know, maybe 5 months, EVERYONE is commenting "oh my, have you grown since last week?" So, let's consider these facts and just say that either I will grow more or else live withh feet that don't fit my height. Does that answer your question?

Bilge Rat
08-04-2009, 16:46
At least long enough for 5' 10" person, (i'm 5' 9") small means stuff size, temperature rating below 30 degrees F so that i can use it at all temps. $350 or less best ($150 or less better than best.) I don't need a lot of room, just a bit of squirm room.

Ask the "hobbit"................:D

saimyoji
08-04-2009, 16:54
Ask the "hobbit"................:D

not a good idea...she hates kids, and might even try to eat him. :eek:

Alli
08-04-2009, 17:05
Well, let's just put down an explanation, I have been 5' 8 1/4" in. for about 4 months, until about let's say 5 days ago. I will turn 15 late October, an have size 13 feet. My dad is 5' 10 1/2" or so and for about oh, I don't know, maybe 5 months, EVERYONE is commenting "oh my, have you grown since last week?" So, let's consider these facts and just say that either I will grow more or else live withh feet that don't fit my height. Does that answer your question?

Well I would definitely recommend holding off on buying an expensive sleeping bag then. Grab the Campmor bag for now and get a nice WM or Mont-Bell bag when you're done growing :)

The Solemates
08-04-2009, 17:40
my mountainsmith wisp is about the same size as a quart nalgene and is rated to 30-deg.

David@whiteblaze
08-04-2009, 18:15
First, who is "the Hobbit" and why would she try to eat me? Also, where did you get your mountainsmith wisp?

The Solemates
08-05-2009, 09:35
i got mine at backcountrygear.com on clearance

Chaco Taco
08-05-2009, 21:42
First, who is "the Hobbit" and why would she try to eat me?

Anyone wanna take this?

wakapak
08-05-2009, 21:45
Anyone wanna take this?

oh boy, this should be good! I may need to get me some popcorn for this one! :D