PDA

View Full Version : Pictures on the trail

keidallmer
08-02-2009, 23:49
For thru-hikers primarily, what do you find is the best picture taking method; digital or traditional? Pros and cons/experiences welcome. Thanks!

Egads
08-03-2009, 06:55
Not a thru hiker, but a digital camera offers advantages of less weight and bulk over film

Kerosene
08-03-2009, 07:36
Even professional photographers are moving/have moved to digital. As a hiker and recreational photographer, I cannot think of a single good reason not to carry a digital camera.

Blissful
08-03-2009, 10:21
Digital worked fine for me. Just watch about mailing your sd cards - many have lost them in the mail.

Six-Six
08-03-2009, 10:30
I only carry my Olympus 1050SW on the trail. I leave my Pentax and Minolta 35mm's at home. The weight and the bulk difference is much to great to consider bringing the traditional, not to mention all the associated other equipment: rolls of film, filters, lenses, covers, bags, etc. Now, if I were on a photo mission/assignment instead of a hike...maybe, but just maybe. And, as others said before, the pros are moving to digital too - but with the pro digitals, we start talking bulk and weight again, but a little less of the associated stuff.

Slo-go'en
08-03-2009, 11:15
The main disadvantage of a 35mm film camara is that you have to be very selective of what you take a picutre of, or carry a LOT of film. Or both. Then there is the expense of having all that film developed. But you do end up with a stack of photos which you can pass around and view without lugging a computer around with you.

The advantage of a digitial is you can take a lot of picutres of everything and anything. View and delete the ones which didn't come out good or you don't like on the spot. Print or have printed only the ones which came out really good. Up load them to a web site for the world to see.

I don't think I'll ever let go of my little shirt pocket Olympus XA 35mm camara, its taken a lot of great pictures over the years, but these days I only carry a digital on the trail.

Yahtzee
08-03-2009, 11:45
Point and click throwaway camera. Because it has the most important PRO of all. Speed. Sure, the pictures won't come out with the greatest detail, but in my experience the photos that I cherish the most are the ones that were taken in great haste, a bear, a moose, etc. By the time a digital comes on and then goes through its machinations to take the dang picture the moment that spurred you to want to take the picture might be past. Certainly a minority opinion, but something to chew on.

Good luck taking pics, however they may be taken.

CrumbSnatcher
08-03-2009, 12:16
Point and click throwaway camera. Because it has the most important PRO of all. Speed. Sure, the pictures won't come out with the greatest detail, but in my experience the photos that I cherish the most are the ones that were taken in great haste, a bear, a moose, etc. By the time a digital comes on and then goes through its machinations to take the dang picture the moment that spurred you to want to take the picture might be past. Certainly a minority opinion, but something to chew on.

Good luck taking pics, however they may be taken.
i agree(disposible's) and the best photos will be of your buds that your hiking with in 99' i hiked with a friend who took great photos but later on was not happy because he took no photos of people just the trail!

jersey joe
08-03-2009, 12:31
I don't know why anyone would choose traditional over digital these days.
There are many advantages to digital over traditional;
You can fit hundreds of pictures on an SD card these days.
You can review your pictures right away.
You don't have to carry extra film(and used film)

CrumbSnatcher
08-03-2009, 13:11
digital or disposeable, just don't miss getting a pitcure of the bears:cool:sorry joe im old school you're probably right.
my external has alot of outdated gear in it!

jersey joe
08-03-2009, 13:16
Actually crumb, in 02' I brought a traditional camera. Digitals were still sorta new then. I WISH I had a digital back then, I would have taken 10X the amount of pictures and not as many blurry pics.

CrumbSnatcher
08-03-2009, 13:18
i have 3 disposables in my pack for next week, ready to go?

jersey joe
08-03-2009, 13:35
I wish I were headed to Katahdin next week! Actually, I think you are better off with disposables than a traditional camera.