PDA

View Full Version : Just moved to SW VA, where to go?

Alex
08-03-2009, 13:44
Hey all,
I have just moved to Blacksburg,VA, and am looking for some suggestions for hikes in the area. I just got a couple AT maps for Grayson Highlands area, and the next section north. Other than Shenendoah NP, I have done no other backpacking in VA at all. Any suggestions for AT sections, maybe 3-5 days?

-Alex

Tennessee Viking
08-03-2009, 14:07
Anything in the Mt Rogers area, Burkes Garden, or McAfee Knob.

For other trails, Creeper Trail (bike trail from Abingdon to NC state line). Go to Dunganon near Coeburn. There is a trail system that goes from Hanging Rock Rec Area to the ruins of the High Knob tower. Guest River trail is a knock off of the Creeper Trail. Cumberland Trail at Cumberland Gap Park. Pine Mtn Trail over in KY. Bays Mountain park in Kingsport.

There is a popular student hiking club at Tech.

The Solemates
08-03-2009, 14:43
you, my friend, are in one of my favorite areas of the country. just go outside...you can't go wrong.

tenbeer
08-03-2009, 15:24
South of Damascus, to Roan Highlands. The Preist in Nelson County, just south of Staunton. The Cascades to Barneys Wall at Mountain Lake in Giles County. Bald Knob at Mountain Lake is a short steep beautiful hike. Get a Delorme Virginia gazateer. The outdoor activities are endless. Buffalo mountain Floyd county. Art loeb trail, Shining Rock wilderness in central North Carolina is a good three day hike.

Blissful
08-03-2009, 19:44
Go to Damascus and hike north. Lone Wolf does shuttles. Nice scenery. Enjoy Blacksburg, great town (we have good friends who live there).

Cookerhiker
08-03-2009, 22:16
Heading west, there's outstanding hiking in the Monongahela National Forest (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/)in West Virginia. Check out the Cranberry Glades (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/sp/Cranberry_Glades_Botanical_Area_brochure.pdf) area in particular.

A little further north up I-81 and west of Staunton lies the Ramsay's Draft Wilderness in George Washington National Forest (http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/).

Press
08-03-2009, 22:16
you, my friend, are in one of my favorite areas of the country. just go outside...you can't go wrong.

Agreed, just get on the trail anywhere around Blacksburg or Roanoke and go. It's all good.

Red River Falls
08-03-2009, 22:20
There is a good listing of 10 hikes in Virginia by some experienced hiker in Virginia. His top 10 contain several hikes within 1-2 hours of Blacksburg. For a multiday hike, you could do sections of the AT. There are many access points to the trail in Giles and Craig counties.

I second the suggestion above about the Cascades and Blarney's Wall (one of the top 10 I mentioned above). It is close to Blacksburg. Drive 460 West to Pembroke and hang a right at the Tangent Outdoors store. There is a good swimming hole after the moderate 2 miles, so that is good especially for the summer.

This Spring I did the 40 miles on the AT up to Daleville, a beautiful stretch at that time of year since the leaves had not filled in. That section includes Dragon's Tooth, McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs. That was a 4-day (3 nights) hike for me.

I have not hiked by the Grayson Highlands yet and I want to do that.

chknfngrs
08-03-2009, 22:52
Ramsey's Draft is awesome.
Goshen Pass is a great place to spend a hot summer day...

Alex
08-04-2009, 10:12
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'm really excited to be in this part of the country.

-Alex

ShoelessWanderer
08-04-2009, 11:27
Also, Rock Castle Gorge on the parkway just outside of Floyd is another good one. Pretty easy also, with gentle elevation change.

Hope you enjoy the area! I grew up there, loved it! (Well, the hiking part anyways.) Now I'm stuck in tidewater...I miss the mountains! You are in the area that the rest of us drive hours to get too...you'll never run out of things to do!

ShoelessWanderer
08-04-2009, 11:28
Oh...one other thing, check out:

http://www.hikingupward.com Lots of great info/trails/trips!