PDA

View Full Version : Mt Collins Question

WeBeHikin
08-03-2009, 16:42
My wife will not stay at a shelter that doesn't have the fence across the front. Can anyone tell me if Mt Collins have the fence across the front?

The Solemates
08-03-2009, 16:55
My wife will not stay at a shelter that doesn't have the fence across the front. Can anyone tell me if Mt Collins have the fence across the front?

yes it does

karo
08-03-2009, 17:27
At least for now, I think it is being remodeled in Sept. of 09

Frick Frack
08-03-2009, 18:39
At least for now, I think it is being remodeled in Sept. of 09

That is great news because that is one of the most horrible shelters I have ever stayed in.

Doctari
08-03-2009, 18:57
That is great news because that is one of the most horrible shelters I have ever stayed in.

Hmm, when last I was there (09) it was pretty nice. WAY BETTER than the now torn down Birch Gap shelter. Now that was a NASTY place.

FYI: about 10 years ago a hiker was "trapped" in the privy for about 2 hrs by a bear. :p
Also, if the fence is missing, just be sure to hang all your food & "smellables" from the bear cables. And cook away from the shelter if you can.

shoe
08-03-2009, 19:40
I was there last weeeknd and it still had a fence and it was kind of nasty

Rcarver
08-03-2009, 19:44
I love Mt. Collins. One man's trash another one's treasure.

It is really going to awesome when it is remodeled.

Ox97GaMe
08-04-2009, 08:48
There are 2 shelters on the AT in the park that still have the fence.

a) Mt Collins. This shelter gets a renovation the week of Sept 15-22. Prep work has already began there. I believe the shelter is going to be closed for the week prior to that, so as to keep hikers from burning the new construction materials that are being air lifted to the site.

b) Russell Field. This shelter is scheduled for renovation in 2010. It is hard to get reservations to Russell during the summer/fall, due to bear activity. This shelter is usually closed during summer and hikers are not authorized to stay there.

If you are just looking to hike in the park, and not necessarily on the AT, there are two other shelters that still have the chain fence.
1) Kephart Shelter. About 5 miles south of Icewater shelter via either Sweat Heifer or Dry Sluice Trail.
2) Laurel Gap Shelter. About 5 miles southeast of TriCorner shelter via the Balsam Mtn Trail.

Tennessee Viking
08-04-2009, 08:53
There are 2 shelters on the AT in the park that still have the fence.

a) Mt Collins. This shelter gets a renovation the week of Sept 15-22. Prep work has already began there. I believe the shelter is going to be closed for the week prior to that, so as to keep hikers from burning the new construction materials that are being air lifted to the site.

b) Russell Field. This shelter is scheduled for renovation in 2010. It is hard to get reservations to Russell during the summer/fall, due to bear activity. This shelter is usually closed during summer and hikers are not authorized to stay there.

If you are just looking to hike in the park, and not necessarily on the AT, there are two other shelters that still have the chain fence.
1) Kephart Shelter. About 5 miles south of Icewater shelter via either Sweat Heifer or Dry Sluice Trail.
2) Laurel Gap Shelter. About 5 miles southeast of TriCorner shelter via the Balsam Mtn Trail.
If you really want to impress the wife, hike to Mt LeConte Lodge by Rainbow Falls trail, Alum Cave, or the Boulevard.

Heard Kephart is pretty nice. But Laurel Gap is a mud hole. Heavy drainage and horse traffic around that shelter.

BobTheBuilder
08-04-2009, 09:06

When I stayed at Russel Field Shelter two years ago, I saw three bears between dusk and dawn, and another 100 yds down the trail the next morning. I guess that wasn't that unusual.

Rcarver
08-04-2009, 18:05
Kephart shelter was renovated in '05 along with Spence Field.

shoe
08-04-2009, 19:16
Kephart didn't have a fence back in May.
That's a gorgeous shelter site

Ox97GaMe
02-12-2010, 23:33
Update on Russell Field Shelter renovation. It has just been scheduled for Sept 12-20 of this year. Architects will be up there later this month to do the official measurements so the design can be finalized and approved by the park service. That will be the last shelter currently planned to be renovated in the park.

Mocs123
02-13-2010, 00:19
No love for Laurel Gap Shelter on the BMT?

just dad
03-02-2010, 22:02
You might suggest to your wife that she will be safer in a shelter that does not have a fence across the front. Mt. Collins shelter was a people zoo when I stayed there last summer. The people were on the inside and the bear was on the outside -- all night long. The fence had seen better days and was not strong enough to keep the bear outside. Fortunately nobody informed the bear, and we made it though the night safely. My kids will never forget that night. At least until they renovate Mt. Collins shelter, it doubles as petting zoo. Pet at your own risk.

Egads
03-02-2010, 23:10

fences have been removed to protect the hikers since they encouraged dumb asses to feed bears

Ox97GaMe
03-02-2010, 23:33
Mt Collins no longer has the fence. Renovation was completed October 2009. We will see this coming year whether the bears are still an issue at that shelter.

Smoky in TN
03-19-2010, 11:32
For years , I have asked the NPS to remove the wire. It encouraged people to cook in the shelter and hang food inside. Even with the wire gone and cables to hang food from, hikers still wanted to hang food inside the shelter. I worked as a Ridgerunner in 2001 and everytime I came to a shelter, I would have to cut down and pack out several food hanging cords.

just dad
03-23-2010, 22:02
For years , I have asked the NPS to remove the wire. It encouraged people to cook in the shelter and hang food inside. Even with the wire gone and cables to hang food from, hikers still wanted to hang food inside the shelter. I worked as a Ridgerunner in 2001 and everytime I came to a shelter, I would have to cut down and pack out several food hanging cords.

When I hiked through the Smokys last summer we hung food, cookware, and everything else that might attract bears from the cables. We hung the packs in the shelter to keep them away from the mice. So, you were possibly cutting down pack hanging cords? Is there a better way to store your pack at night in a mouse infested shelter?

MedicineMan
03-23-2010, 22:40
when in the Smokes I always felt safer in a shelter without the fence...that said, when I go back to that park I'm stealthing it.

berninbush
06-01-2010, 15:50
I was at Newfound Gap last Saturday and hiked about a mile NOBO on the trail (barefoot!) just for fun. But I saw this notice on the SOBO sign:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/berninbush/ATsign.jpg

As I started up the NOBO trail, I ran into a backpacker who commented on my bare feet and said I should tease the guy who had just disappeared with a group up the trail ahead. Apparently they had stayed in the shelter the night before, and a bear had stolen the guy's boots from inside the shelter! It seems the bear came into the shelter several times and gave them a difficult night.

None of the hikers were barefoot, so I guess someone had a spare pair of shoes, or else he got someone to bring him some at Newfound Gap.

SmokyMtn Hiker
06-01-2010, 15:52
As of today 6/1/10 the shelter is closed, I assume due to bear activity which is a common problem every year at that shelter.

wcgornto
06-01-2010, 16:43
I stayed there last November 16 after the renovation. I didn't see any bears there, or anywhere else in the Smokies. I guess there is less bear activity near shelters that time of the year? Of course, the weather was a bit rough, so the bears might have run for cover.

Bear Cables
06-10-2010, 00:14
Add Davenport Gap shelter to those that still have fences on them. Also no bear cables. What's up with that??

zoberrath
06-10-2010, 10:07
Does anyone know how long they will keep Mt Collins closed for?

bflorac
06-10-2010, 23:00
Odd, I stayed there this time last year and had a bear take one of my boots. Must be the same bear. I got mine back. He chewed on it for a bit, teasing me and left it on the trail...
photo (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51855)
more... (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51855)
and more (http://billflorac.com/WordPress/?p=106)

Preacher Dude
07-28-2010, 14:13
Made shelter reservations today for a hike in the Smokies. The lady told me that Mt. Collins shelter was closed....I didn't ask why.....but presume this was the reason. She did tell me that there had been numerous bear sightings along the A. T. in recent days....so be sure and watch out for bears. I then said I'd be sure and bring a camera in case I saw one. To which she responded, "I'm sure you'll be able to get plenty of pictures".

MkBibble
07-28-2010, 15:34
Have to be FAST with the camera though. All I ever get to see is their bear butt disappearing into the trees.

wornoutboots
10-29-2010, 12:35
I stayed there 10/1/10 and didn't see any bears, there is a large bear trap behind the shlelter, it's a really nice shelter, 2 sets of cables and the water source was running good

mad4scrapping
01-23-2011, 21:25
has this shelter re-opened? We plan to stay there in April.
Thanks for info.

Pioneer Spirit
01-23-2011, 21:49
I took a photo of the Shelter in early April of 09. I thought the fence was a little bent up plus the roof was loose. I have a couple other pictures of the interior. This was my first and only vist to an AT shelter. Day hike.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=44754&catid=565

Ox97GaMe
01-24-2011, 19:17
All shelters in the Smokies are open.

mad4scrapping
01-24-2011, 20:07
Thanks OX!