PDA

View Full Version : AT hostels and other trail stops that do NOT allow dogs?

Jeff
08-03-2009, 17:13
What hostels do not allow dogs?

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2009, 19:16
Virtually all church hostels don't want dogs on the premises, or at least not inside. They may, repeat may allow them outside if you get permission and promise to clean up after them.

In re. to which other places, facilities, motels, etc. take dogs, check out one of the three major Trail guides, which contain precisely this sort of information.

Word to the wise for dog owners:

Never show up at a place and take for granted it's OK to have a dog; always try and know ahead of time. That's why you bought a guidebook.

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2009, 19:19
Just thought of something. When I say, "it might be OK to leave the dog outside", what I meant was if there was tenting or a shelter, etc. I did NOT mean go inside at the hostel or motel or whatever and enjoy yourself and leave your dog alone and tethered outside all night. It is NEVER cool to do this to your dog, ever.

Tho people do it every year.

cowboy nichols
08-03-2009, 20:18
I hike with a dog always I do not spend time in towns,motels,hostels or shelters. I go hiking to get away from all of the above including people. I tent and my dogs always are in the tent with me. I strongly dislike loose dog and stupid owners. Just my 2 cents !!

Phreak
08-03-2009, 20:36
I did NOT mean go inside at the hostel or motel or whatever and enjoy yourself and leave your dog alone and tethered outside all night. It is NEVER cool to do this to your dog, ever.

These people should be strung up and beaten with a stick.

Lybarger
08-04-2009, 12:28
On my section hike I recall Blueberry Patch has a no dog policy. My buddy was charged an extra $7 to have his dog at NOC overnight.

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2009, 14:52
my dog and i have stayed at a few church hostels,and a few hostels. do yourself a favor and plan ahead for the extra cost & stay at motels instead! and your dog will be safer and more comfortable staying out of shelters!

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2009, 15:08
Just thought of something. When I say, "it might be OK to leave the dog outside", what I meant was if there was tenting or a shelter, etc. I did NOT mean go inside at the hostel or motel or whatever and enjoy yourself and leave your dog alone and tethered outside all night. It is NEVER cool to do this to your dog, ever.

or leave the pack on while they are inside restraunts!or during breaks cuz they don't want to hassle taking it off, that pisses me off! most dogs should not thruhike. IMO

CrumbSnatcher
08-04-2009, 15:32
hostels my dog was allowed inside:
mountain crossings
the hike inn
Elmers sunnybank inn (not a hostel)
miss janets
kincora(always had a reserved couch)
daves place
troutdale church
jail house hostel
the church of the mountain hostel
St. thomas episcopal church 3x (dogs are not allowed)
levardi's of dalton
birdcage (no dog was ever allowed inside, til bear was allowed)rob had a very large aggressive dog that had killed dogs in the past. i think the dog was sweet on bear.
hikers welcome hostel
the barn
shaws
white house landing
this was awhile ago, the last hike was 2003. i wouldn't plan on hostels though,be polite and respectful but plan on moving on if they say no.