PDA

View Full Version : SNP weekend suggestions.

flemdawg1
08-03-2009, 17:49
I'm going to Newport Newsm VA for business next week and will have to stay around over the weekend (not flying home).

Probably arrive Late friday afternoon/early evening, need to get out sunday night. No more than about 15 miles per day or about 30 miles total. What would you suggest? Doesn't have to be exclusively AT nor is shelter/hut camping required. Just wanna go in the woods friday afternoon/evening, hike till the afternoon Sunday. Loops or shuttling is fine.

Hikerhead
08-03-2009, 18:35
Me and J5MAN did a small 9 mile loop overnight hike using the RIPRAP and WILDCAT RIDGE trails this pastweek. We parked at MP 92, about 10 miles from I-81 on Afton Mtn. We camped out coming back up the WILDCAT RIDGE trail where it makes a 90 degree turn which you can see on the map linked below in the Southern District. It had two very nice rock outcrops on the Wildcat trail at Calvary Rocks and Chimney Rocks. Added bonus was a really nice swimming hole down in the bottom. This was one of 3 loops listed on this map. The biggest was 30 or 40 miles. Loft Mtn has a number of loops on that map also. I emailed SNP about some questions and they replied back within 30 minutes.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/mapshiking.htm

Homer&Marje
08-03-2009, 19:28
Went to Virginia only once but I did an interesting loop, or figure 8 really, out of Big Meadows.

Dark Hollow Falls trail to Rose River Falls, to the AT and then along Skyline Drive....there's a bunch of variations of that hike though and many different options around that area...

Blissful
08-03-2009, 19:52
Rip rap and wildcat is a great trail. Short though.

Check out also the Bug Run Wilderness in that same section. Can do several loops there and camp by Big Run.

Hikerhead
08-03-2009, 20:05
Correction to my post...I-64 goes over Afton Mtn, not I-81. Sorry.

Press
08-03-2009, 22:12
Since it doesn't have to be AT, check this out for something completely different but hugely cool. Virginia's False Cape State Park. A lot closer to Newport News than Shenandoah. Hike through the Back Bay Wildlife Refuge into the park, hike on the beach or through the woods and fields, see wild ponies and maybe wild hogs, lots of interesting old ruins. Great for a one or two night excursion. You could get there easy by Friday night and leave Sunday a.m. I think you do have to get a camping permit though. You have to walk or bike or boat about 12-13 miles to get there, no driving allowed, so it won't be crowded. I really think this place is one of Virginia's hidden secrets.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/fal.shtml

Skyline
08-03-2009, 23:10
False Cape State Park is great; I've been there half dozen times. But this time of year is very hot and buggy. I'd wait until temps cool down in the Fall.

You have to park at a City Park lot and hike in via the beach. The hike-in can be as short as six miles or as long as about 12 miles, depending upon the campsite you reserve. You must get it reserved in advance and have a parking permit mailed or faxed to you.

Other options . . .

There are some nice loops involving the AT with side trails in Shenandoah National Park. Nicholson Hollow and Hazel Country in the Central District (PATC map 10). Thornton River and Piney Branch in the North District (PATC map 9).

Also south of SNP a nice figure-eight loop involving the AT, Old Hotel Trail, Mt. Pompey, Mt. Pleasant east of I-81 via VA60, then up to Hog Camp Gap. Camp one night on Mt. Pleasant, the second night at Cow Camp Gap Shelter. Splendid views on Mt. Pleasant up a side trail, and on the above treeline bald on Cold Mt. (AT). If you get PATC map 13 you'll see it clearly.

flemdawg1
08-04-2009, 17:16
Anybody tried this one?
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_BCTrip-Paine_Run_Riprap_and_Moormans_River_A070.pdf

Hikerhead
08-04-2009, 18:01
Anybody tried this one?
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/SHEN_BCTrip-Paine_Run_Riprap_and_Moormans_River_A070.pdf

Not me but why not do this. Park at the lot new MP 87. Hike the AT south to the RipRap Trail. Hike that down to bottom where there's a fine swimming hole. A little further down you pick up the Wildcat Trail. Hike that back up. Good camping spot a 1/2 mile where the trail crosses the creek and turns 90 degrees and starts up the ridge. WHen you hit the AT turn right and hike it south to Turks Gap where you pick up the Turk Branch Trail and take it down to the bottom. Turn Left on the South Folk Moorman River Trail to the Resovoir where there should be some more good swimming holes and camping then follow the North Folk Moorman River Trail which should bring you back up to the parking lot. 3 days and 2 nights should do it. You will be able to camp both nights along water. That's what I would like to do.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/rip_rap_area.pdf

Skyline
08-05-2009, 09:11
Anybody tried this one?

I've done all those trails, including camping along the Riprap, just not in that order. This itinerary is great, tho! It (and Hikerhead's suggestion) are the kinds of multi-day backpacking experiences SNP is noted for, instead of simply doing a linear hike on the AT.

When folks call Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service (details at www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com)) and need to speak to someone to help them with hike suggestions, I usually get the referral and really enjoy putting together plans like these to suit their individual needs and capabilities.

Speaking of individual needs and capabilities, this year we've put together a very different kind of hiking/vacation package in conjunction with the Park's lodging and meals concessioner. It allows hikers to basically dayhike the entire SNP Central District—Swift Run Gap to Thornton Gap, the Park's most popular district—along the AT, and enjoy lodging and meals each night at a Park facility. There are also side-trail options to waterfalls, summits, rock scrambles, and historic sites. The lodges have put together a special for this vacation that includes room, taxes, gratuities, and a real breakfast some mornings before setting off to do more miles, which can be kept to between 8-10 per day. Full details including a downloadable, printable PDF brochure, are at www.HikeLodge2Lodge.com (http://www.HikeLodge2Lodge.com).

FritztheCat
08-05-2009, 10:20
False Cape State Park is great; I've been there half dozen times. But this time of year is very hot and buggy. I'd wait until temps cool down in the Fall.

You have to park at a City Park lot and hike in via the beach. The hike-in can be as short as six miles or as long as about 12 miles, depending upon the campsite you reserve. You must get it reserved in advance and have a parking permit mailed or faxed to you.

Totally agree. False Cape is a pretty cool park but the walk in through Backbay is brutal. There's a gravel road that stretches 4 miles without a hint of shade anywhere along the way. Once you get into False Cape (you can only get there by hiking in through Backbay or by canoe/kayak), the terrain is sand and pine needles. It's a nice hike but getting there is a chore.

Skyline
08-05-2009, 11:58
Totally agree. False Cape is a pretty cool park but the walk in through Backbay is brutal. There's a gravel road that stretches 4 miles without a hint of shade anywhere along the way. Once you get into False Cape (you can only get there by hiking in through Backbay or by canoe/kayak), the terrain is sand and pine needles. It's a nice hike but getting there is a chore.

I forgot about the road through Back Bay. Is it really only four miles? Seemed a lot longer, but maybe just because it's so boring? As I recall, you can only use it certain months. I did use it once, and much prefer the beach walk. It's also without canopy, but at least you usually get a good breeze from the ocean. Just stay close to the tide where the sand is packed down and it won't seem like you're postholing in snow. :eek:

Press
08-05-2009, 20:02
Yeah, you all are right about the summer heat and bugs, and I guess the hike into False Cape is pretty dull unless you go by the beach, but camping between the beach and bay with wild horses walking around your tent is pretty great. In the fall, that is.

Skyline
08-05-2009, 23:57
Yeah, you all are right about the summer heat and bugs, and I guess the hike into False Cape is pretty dull unless you go by the beach, but camping between the beach and bay with wild horses walking around your tent is pretty great. In the fall, that is.

Early Spring and Autumn up to winter are the best times to camp at False Cape. I've done it several times, and the only time I regretted it was during the dog days of summer. It's a mile-wide strip of land about five miles long I think, but you get the feeling you're almost alone on a private island. There are only 12 campsites in the entire park!

FritztheCat
08-06-2009, 10:14

This is true. I'm heading out there in October for a weekend of hiking/camping.

humunuku
09-14-2009, 22:16
Not me but why not do this. Park at the lot new MP 87. Hike the AT south to the RipRap Trail. Hike that down to bottom where there's a fine swimming hole. A little further down you pick up the Wildcat Trail. Hike that back up. Good camping spot a 1/2 mile where the trail crosses the creek and turns 90 degrees and starts up the ridge. WHen you hit the AT turn right and hike it south to Turks Gap where you pick up the Turk Branch Trail and take it down to the bottom. Turn Left on the South Folk Moorman River Trail to the Resovoir where there should be some more good swimming holes and camping then follow the North Folk Moorman River Trail which should bring you back up to the parking lot. 3 days and 2 nights should do it. You will be able to camp both nights along water. That's what I would like to do.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/upload/rip_rap_area.pdf

well, thats what i did last week...great hike! Thanks for posting it (but wow is the water down...the rivers were dry in areas)

Hikerhead
09-14-2009, 22:31
well, thats what i did last week...great hike! Thanks for posting it (but wow is the water down...the rivers were dry in areas)

Great. How many miles do you think you did?

johnnybgood
09-14-2009, 22:37
Did the exact same hike a week ago Saturday humunuku . Wait till Spring after the rainy season to enjoy a dip in the pool.:banana

themadgaffler
09-23-2009, 14:50
how about the three ridges/mauhar loop from reeds gap (might be gwnf but not far away)? 13 miles i think.