PDA

View Full Version : Surger sewing machine question

manzana
07-16-2004, 15:40
What are these things? I cannot find a good description although surger (serger) thread is available here at the local fabric store (Hancocks). Maybe I really need a surger and don't know it...

thanks

APPLE in AUSTIN

art to linda
07-16-2004, 18:46
a surger sews a stich and overcasts and cuts the seam all at the same time. They work great on some fabrics and for making some clothes but I wouldn't recomend it for gear/tents. The reason is that the seam is small and anything under stress could fray and you would end up with the seam pulling out. The easiest way is to make a 1/2 to 3/4 inch seam then open the fabric with the seam facing you,take the raw edge of the seam and fold it under to the seam stiching line then run another stich line down just before the edge of the fold. This leaves you with a flat strong seam double stiched with no raw edges to fray.

It is easier to do if you pin the fold down and press it flat then just run a stich straight down about 1/16 inch in from the edge of the fold. Try it on a scrap of the fabric to see how easy it is.