PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart Tent

Tinker
08-03-2009, 20:14
I just got one of these
http://lightheartgear.com/lighthearttent1.html

to try from the manufacturer. She liked my observations of her tent when I saw it at Trail Days. I asked her if she had a demo I could try and she said she had one of her first tents, that the new ones pitch a little tauter, and that the reinforcing patches for the pole handles (inside, on the floor) are now cordura (they are silnylon in "my" tent).
I weighed it - 1lb.9-7/8 oz. It uses telescoping trekking poles for setup with a little spreader bar at the peak for better headroom (than the original Wanderlust tent, on which it is based). I plan on using it in the yard for a few nights and maybe (if it rains and I'm not needed this weekend at the bike shop) bringing it to the Long Trail Festival. We'll see about that one.
I'm not really a tent person, but if this works for my wife and I, it might just get her out on the trail again (she hasn't hiked with me since I've gone lightweight - I still hike too fast and too far for her liking).
I guess a couple of overnighters at low elevation wouldn't kill me :rolleyes:.
More to come.

GeneralLee10
08-03-2009, 20:40
I like the looks and weight of it. I am not so sure about the HH thing not any place to really put your pack or if had to can't cook in your lap. Let us know how it works and maybe sit in it and let the wife spray you with the water hose.:eek: Could you post some pics or a video of the set up. What would be really neet is if one would make one of these solo tents in all camo. People need to hide at times when camping and all the brite colors (white,yellow& gray) do not appeal to me that much.

Tinker
08-03-2009, 20:48
Unfortunately my comprehension of transferring photos over the internet is limited to my use of my Webshots site, and my site doesn't recognize my computer's signature since I had a new program installed, courtesy of my son. I will try to get in touch with some of my hiking friends who are more literate than I am photo-wise. The picture of the tent on the website is what it looks like.
Differences from what I saw at Trail Days.
There is a new one piece spreader bar. The one I saw was made of three pieces of small diameter PVC pipe cemented together. The one which came with "my" tent is one piece which appears to have been heated and bent at the ends, eliminating the joint which I imagine would have rubbed into the silnylon canopy a bit.
I have yet to set it up. I'm waiting for my landlord to take his dog out for his nighttime walk so he doesn't think it's a new bush in the yard that he has to "personalize". ;)

cabana
08-03-2009, 21:35
Looks like the old wanderlust lite tent.

Tinker
08-03-2009, 21:36
Looks like the old wanderlust lite tent.

Yep. A little more headroom courtesy of a short spreader bar.

Tinker
08-03-2009, 23:05
Setup was insanely simple. I decided to try it without using the instructions.
I stretched out the tent tautly and inserted a stake in each end.
I set my poles to 125 cm.
Took the ridge pole (what I had been calling the brow pole) and put it on one pole.
I put the pole in the far side corner of the tent on the reinforced patch.
I took the other pole and put it in the brow pole.
Passing the handle of the pole through the door I then placed it in the near corner.
Noticing that the tent needed more tensioning, I extended the poles to 130 cm each.
Tent was taut.
I got outside and tied one of the included 2mm lines to the fly guying loop on the side opposite the door and staked the fly out taut.
Then I tied the other line on the door side, zipped the fly opening shut, then staked out the line.
Tent was up. About 3 min. without instructions.
Then I read the instructions. Exactly what I had done.
Notes for improvement:
1) The ridge pole is not attached to tent. Keep it zipped inside tent to prevent loss.
2) The fly zipper is a bit grabby, but not unlike any zipper on silnylon. A stiffener would only add to tent weight and not help that much.
3) A reflective cord on the zipper would be handy.
4) Tieouts half way down each side would be extremely helpful in wind and to guy tent fly out and up for more ventilation.
5) A velcro strip opposite the loop on the zippered fly entrance would help to keep the zipper closed in wind (when passed through the guy loop).
Now to try a night out.
Temp. 71, Humidity 77%, Clear, Wind-calm.
I will be sleeping on my Big Agnes Air core Mummy pad with a fleece blanket on top of it. I will be wearing a polyester short sleeve short and nylon hiking shorts. I sleep HOT!
See you in the morning :).

Tinker
08-04-2009, 07:26
First night out impressions:
The tent is roomy enough for someone my size (5'11", more or less, and 220 lbs.)
Most of the room is in the center, favoring side sleepers.
The ample mesh makes the most of the slightest breezes on a warm night.
The floor is slippery (silnylon - needs McNett or similar silicone adhesive on floor to prevent sleeping pad creep as all tents with silnylon floors do).
The little velcro pads which hold open the door are easy to use (I slept with the door open and the fly guyed out).
Tent could use a small zippered opening to the "back" vestibule for easy gear access.
Conditions this morning were overcast, 67 degrees with heavy dew and some fog.
The tent did not have undue condensation (note that it was set up on the lawn and that grass transpires (releases) moisture into the air which then gets trapped underneath the tent fly along with moisture from the body and breath of the occupant (s).
Oh, yes - This is a one person tent (with a bunch of storage space for gear).

I will retest the tent soon in the rain.

Tinker
09-06-2009, 22:55
Guess what?
I bought it.
Will seam seal it tomorrow and put some SilNet sealant on floor for grip.
I'm taking on a NY section hike in two weeks and will have more to report then.
I tried it two nights ago on lawn with 3/8 pad (my pack's "frame").
No way. Old bones won't hear it.
Big Agnes will be with me on this upcoming trip :).

Tinker
09-14-2009, 23:40
I sealed the seams with Silnet and spread a bit on the floor to hold my Big Agnes pad. Slept overnight in a steady rain - no leaks and virtually no condensation. The slightest breeze blows through the mesh, and there's plenty of room to sit up, stretch, and change clothes. Like many tents without vestibules (and some with), getting in and out in the rain can get the floor wet. It's easily wiped off with a bandanna which can then be wrung out the door. There was some wind (up to 25 mph, and the tent was sheltered), but the elongated pyramid shape seemed to shed it nicely.
The BA pad is still one of the best purchases I have made for camping. :)

d'shadow
09-15-2009, 02:27
The tent you speak of has been on the AT with a friend of my who is thru hiking this year. The tent is still going strong after being used for almost 2000 miles and through every kind of weather the trail has to offer. It is a worthwhile purchase.

Jonnycat
09-15-2009, 09:08
Unfortunately my comprehension of transferring photos over the internet is limited to my use of my Webshots site....

Go here (http://www.imageshack.us/), and click "browse"

In the dialog that opens, find the picture on your computer, then click "Open"

Back at the webpage, click "Start Upload"

It will upload the picture, and take you to another screen with links to that picture on their server.

Put the link in here.

-----------------

Neat tent, it reminds me of the shape of the Eureka!spitfire, which I've been contemplating myself for my next build.

Tinker
10-03-2009, 10:08
Update:
I had a friend sew small tabs onto the inner tent where the silnylon meets the mesh, and corresponding tabs on the perimeter of the fly. I used very light Spectra cord to join the inner tabs to the ones on the fly and left about three feet to guy to the ground. There is significantly more head and foot room than before, thought there is a small weight penalty (not much if you use ti shepherd's hook stakes). I suggested to the tent's designer that she add the tabs and line (or at least the tabs) to future models. I haven't received a response yet, though. The modification makes the tent breezier (when you stake it out) and more wind worthy as well. I'll try to get some pics up when I'm not so busy.

Later: Tinker realizes that his new camera software is not compatible with his old PC.
No way to publish pictures at this time, sorry.

Franco
10-03-2009, 17:51
If you have a USB slot, get a card reader and use that to transfer the images. Around $10
Franco

tmont
10-21-2009, 21:28
Tinker: have been looking at this tent myself for solo. You still impressed?

Dogwood
10-21-2009, 21:47
Good Tinker. Looks good.

FamilyGuy
10-22-2009, 09:14
I'd just like to see your pics

shoe
10-22-2009, 09:32
I attached a picture of my friends that I borrowed for one night.

I really really love most everything about this tent.
My only caveat is that when laying down my head feels to close to the tent body. That is one thing that I can't stand.

The spreader bar across the top is nice but it doesn's seem stable at times. I brushed against my pole and it twisted. No big deal I just moved it back in place.

I slept next to a stream in the Smokies and had no condensation issues, the fly was left open so I don't know if that anything to do with it.

My few observations. Only 1 night with the tent so can't really comment more about it.

Red Hat
10-22-2009, 13:17
Honestly, I haven't tried her tent, just because I switched to a hammock. But Heartfire is a great lady who takes pride in her workmanship. She is someone you can trust.

Tinker
10-24-2009, 12:17
Update: Actual usage on the AT (NY).
I used the tent for three nights the third week in Sept. There was only one brief sprinkle on the last night when I camped by the West Mountain Shelter. The pullouts proved to be invaluable in the increase in usable head and foot room. I got a reply from the busy owner of the company and she thought that the extra tabs were a good idea. We'll see if she implements them. If not, they're very easy to sew on and they don't take a ton of stress, anyhow.
All three nights proved to be warmer than expected and I slept half out of my 50 degree (approx) one pound Montbell ultralight semi-rectangular bag. I used my Big Agnes Air core mummy pad and slept almost as well as in my hammock.
Since I can't use my camera software with my computer you'll have to use your imaginations as to the placement of the pullouts.
With the addition of the pullout tabs and ultralight spectra guylines the tent now weighs 1# 11-1/2 oz. (in the stuffsack). Not too shabby.
With the addition of a pair of velcro strips at the ridgeline to secure the plastic ridge pole (it doesn't move unless you move your trekking poles, really), it would be a fantastic deal for a long distance ground dweller.

Ramble~On
10-24-2009, 13:03
I bought a Lightheart Tent in April at Ron Haven's April Fool's Bash. I used the Lightheart for the remainder of my thru hike. I guess that I have about 1900 miles on it. I spent about 7 months hiking so from Franklin....I guess it'd be safe to say that I used this tent for 6 months.
I love it. It was a great purchase and it held up to daily use like a champ.
Several people ended up buying and using these with the opinion being the same. This may well be the perfect tent for thru hiking...that's my opinion. 26 ounces, double wall, sets up in seconds and packs down small. I am 5'10 and had plenty of room for myself and all of my gear inside the tent....in fact, there's plenty of room to spare.
I bought one of the original models and if the original has been improved, the newer design must be even better.
I own and have used tarptents from both Shire's and Six Moon Designs. I have a Rainbow and a Lunar Duo. I used the Lightheart for the thru hike becuase it's the better tent for a thru hike....For the weight, size, ease of setup and overall function, the Lightheart takes the cake.
My two cents.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/7/8/5/thru_hike_october_211.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=37142&original=1&c=member&imageuser=2785)

Tinker
10-26-2009, 07:54
Bad weather use report:
I finally was able to use the tent in some truly foul weather last weekend. I saw on TV that we were having a storm front come through on Sat. night, so I set my tent up on the back lawn of my church which is on a small pond.
The winds came across the pond all night, with heavy rain squalls. A gust of over 50 mph. was recorded 10 miles away, so I'm sure I experienced at least a 40 mph. gust.
I pitched the tent as tightly as I could and used the pullouts that I had sewn on (above). MSR Groundhog stakes were used on the two ends and the two main side fly guyouts. Aluminum shepherd hook type stakes were used on the aftermarket pullouts. All stakes held, the tent was fairly quiet in the hour or so I sat in it (I actually used a hammock and new [first night out] MacCat tarp) nearby.
Insight: I realized that the entire tent and fly assembly can be tightened from inside (once it stretches from the rain) by merely unlocking your trekking poles and lengthening them slightly - how easy is that?
I did note that a few drops of water entered from where the strap which holds the door open in nice weather is sewn through the main seam which goes from the end to the peak. This is probably due to poor sealing on my part more than anything else. Beyond that, the tent was bone dry except from where I got the floor wet while entering. I did not bother to wipe it up since I was actually sleeping in the hammock.

With the pullout mods and velcro strips added to the peak to stabilize the spreader bar this tent is a real lightweight winner (especially for warmer months - I wouldn't want to be in blowing snow with it due to all the mesh).
This cocludes my test of the tent.

gunner76
10-26-2009, 21:43
I have been looking for a lite weight solo tent and one of the issues I run into is my height. I am 6 ft 3" and many of the solo tents look great until I look at their floor space and find the usable tent floor space is either shorter than I am and or to narrow. Has anyone used this tent who is close to my height and can report on how well it "fit".

Years ago my wife who is 5 ft 2 inches went camping with some friends and used my backpack. Her friends said from behind it looked like the backpack had legs.

HeartFire
10-27-2009, 08:21
Gunner,
at 6'3" you will be a little tight if you sleep stretched out, if you sleep on your side, curled up, you will fit no problem. You WILL be able to sit up with plenty of head room in this tent.

I have a 2 person tent coming out soon. Yes, I know I"ve been saying that since Trail Days, but the sewing of it is a pain so I sent it off to be manufactured, I should have it by the spring. The point is, you will feel small in the 2 person tent. The floor is 103" X 57", all usable space (no pointy ends in this tent) It will have the same hiking pole set up (uses only one set of poles), has 2 doors, and weighs under 2 lbs.
Judy AKA HeartFire of LightHeart Gear
www.lightheartgear.com (http://www.lightheartgear.com)

I have been looking for a lite weight solo tent and one of the issues I run into is my height. I am 6 ft 3" and many of the solo tents look great until I look at their floor space and find the usable tent floor space is either shorter than I am and or to narrow. Has anyone used this tent who is close to my height and can report on how well it "fit".

Big Dawg
10-27-2009, 09:09
I have a 2 person tent coming out soon. Yes, I know I"ve been saying that since Trail Days, but the sewing of it is a pain so I sent it off to be manufactured, I should have it by the spring.

I've been wondering about that... been checking your website since TD. Glad to hear it's being worked on b/c a 2 person lightheart sounds intriguing to this BIG dawg.:D

gunner76
10-28-2009, 10:15
Thanks for the reply. I look forward to being able to check out your new 2 person tent.

Trail Trooper
11-14-2009, 09:45
Where the pullout mods and velcro strips added to the peak to stabilize the spreader bar added to the tent to improve the design?

HeartFire
11-22-2009, 00:21
Trail Trooper,
Who are you asking this question of? Me or Tinker.

I am considering adding the extra pullouts in the future, but I still don't think it needs anything at the ridge. The bar moves a little bit because of the seams at the top of the tent, It really can't get knocked out of place. It is quite stable where it is.
HeartFire/ LightHeart Gear.

Bulldawg
11-22-2009, 00:39
Gunner,
at 6'3" you will be a little tight if you sleep stretched out, if you sleep on your side, curled up, you will fit no problem. You WILL be able to sit up with plenty of head room in this tent.

I have a 2 person tent coming out soon. Yes, I know I"ve been saying that since Trail Days, but the sewing of it is a pain so I sent it off to be manufactured, I should have it by the spring. The point is, you will feel small in the 2 person tent. The floor is 103" X 57", all usable space (no pointy ends in this tent) It will have the same hiking pole set up (uses only one set of poles), has 2 doors, and weighs under 2 lbs.
Judy AKA HeartFire of LightHeart Gear
www.lightheartgear.com (http://www.lightheartgear.com)

Do you think you'll have the 2 person tent ready by Ron's April Fools?

HeartFire
11-22-2009, 10:01
Do you think you'll have the 2 person tent ready by Ron's April Fools?

Bulldawg,
Unfortunatly no, it looks like the earliest I will have them will be the end of April. I have my prototype from the manufacture, (and it's really great) but I want to make one more modification to it.
HeartFire

SawnieRobertson
11-22-2009, 16:59
Bulldawg,
Unfortunatly no, it looks like the earliest I will have them will be the end of April. I have my prototype from the manufacture, (and it's really great) but I want to make one more modification to it.
HeartFire

Wrong answer. I was just about to send in my order for the one with two-doors. I also was going to ask for a lighter shade of gray like the Stephenson 2R that I love but that will be left behind March, 2010, if I can find an excellent other tent to carry. (This is a trade off for having to carry the !@#$%^&* knee brace.) Whatcha think, Heartfire?--Kinnickinic:-?

Bulldawg
11-22-2009, 17:53
Bulldawg,
HeartFire

I'd be more than glad to try the prototype out and review it for you!!:-?:eek:;):D:p:banana:banana

Marta
11-22-2009, 18:40
Wrong answer. I was just about to send in my order for the one with two-doors. I also was going to ask for a lighter shade of gray like the Stephenson 2R that I love but that will be left behind March, 2010, if I can find an excellent other tent to carry. (This is a trade off for having to carry the !@#$%^&* knee brace.) Whatcha think, Heartfire?--Kinnickinic:-?

I think you'll be fine with the one-person version, which is lighter than the two-person anyway. It will be perfect for your hike!!!

SawnieRobertson
11-23-2009, 17:40
I think you'll be fine with the one-person version, which is lighter than the two-person anyway. It will be perfect for your hike!!!

I think that Heartfire thought the weight difference would be only 3 oz, but that was back last May. Yes, one person is fine for only one person. Sometimes I'd like to take one of my big dogs though. Happy T-Day, Marta and David and kids.--Kinnickinic

HeartFire
11-26-2009, 00:44
Kinnickinic,
The 2 person tent came in at exactly 2lbs. the manufacture made a few modifications to my design, and really improved the stability of it, I spent a very nice night in my backyard sleeping in it listening to the waterfall.
HeartFire

HeartFire
11-26-2009, 00:47
I was playing with the extra pullouts that Tinker mentioned he put on the tent, and wow, what an improvement so form now on the extra tabs are going on the tent, This will help make it more stable in high winds, hold the fly out and give more space inside. of course it will bring the weight up an ounce or so, and would require 7 or 8 stakes vs. the 4 it takes now. This can be an optional thing.

dmax
11-26-2009, 01:00
Did you take any pictures?

Big Dawg
11-26-2009, 17:01
Did you take any pictures?

yes... a prototype preview would be nice!

Red Beard
11-26-2009, 17:09
I was playing with the extra pullouts that Tinker mentioned he put on the tent, and wow, what an improvement so form now on the extra tabs are going on the tent, This will help make it more stable in high winds, hold the fly out and give more space inside. of course it will bring the weight up an ounce or so, and would require 7 or 8 stakes vs. the 4 it takes now. This can be an optional thing.

That is a really cool looking design. Is there any way somebody could get a look at one of these in person? :-?

HeartFire
11-27-2009, 01:14
yes... a prototype preview would be nice!
IF the weather is nice tomorrow (and I'm not out hiking) I will get pictures of it up

HeartFire
11-27-2009, 01:15
That is a really cool looking design. Is there any way somebody could get a look at one of these in person? :-?
RedBeard, where do you live? I see you are in NC. I'm in Fletcher, come and see the tent.
Judy

HeartFire
11-27-2009, 01:16
I'll also be at the SoRuck (Saturday only) with both tents.

HeartFire
11-27-2009, 13:15
OK,hopefully I can these pictures to upload.
here are some photos of the new two person tent, it is not available until late April at the earliest
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png

The first picture is an end on photo showing how the ridge pole is snug and secure so it won't pull out, the second photo is a side view with one side door open looking through to the other side door, third phot os if the inside, the pads are centered lengthwise so there is that much room at both ends of the pads, next, is a view so you can see the full lenght of the pads, and last is a view of the inside.

Judy

HeartFire
11-27-2009, 13:20
OK, here are some photos of the extra tie outs on the one man tent

You can't pull it out very much, just an inch otherwise it flattens the ridge line, but this essentially straightened the side wall and didn't flatten the ridge line.

Judy

HeartFire
11-27-2009, 13:49
One more picture, we're having poles manufactured for the tent for people that don't carry hiking poles, bike riders, kayakers etc, this picture shows the length of the folded pole, it folds down to the same size as the ridge pole, the pencil is pointing to an adjustable section so that if you want to tension up the pole a little you can. For a backpacker, this will add about 8.5 ounces of weight (per pair of poles), but for a non backpacking adventure the weight of the poles is essentially nothing.

Tinker
11-27-2009, 14:03
OK, here are some photos of the extra tie outs on the one man tent

You can't pull it out very much, just an inch otherwise it flattens the ridge line, but this essentially straightened the side wall and didn't flatten the ridge line.

Judy

That's exactly the way I made the mods. With those and the velcro at the ridge pole it should be much more stable in winds.

I've also been in touch with Petra at Hilleberg about design mods to the excellent Akto tent which they make. I have one I bought in 2005. I immediately changed the lines to spectra. I was informed that they have since switched to a spectra blend cordage.
For those who haven't used spectra cordage, it's much lighter for its strength than nylon, doesn't stretch when wet, and hardly absorbs any water when it rains.
If my ideas take hold at Hilleberg they may change the door design in the Akto to be similar to the door in the Lightheart tent (and many others). It will be easier to use and not drag in the dirt. We'll see......

Big Dawg
11-28-2009, 08:51
Judy... thanks for the 2-person pics. Very nice! & all for 2#'s. Awesome!!

gunner76
11-29-2009, 18:57
Do you know what the weight of the new 2 person tent will be or did I miss it ?

HeartFire
11-29-2009, 20:08
Do you know what the weight of the new 2 person tent will be or did I miss it ?
it's 2 lbs.

gunner76
01-11-2010, 21:35
Any idea when the new 2 person tent will be available and how much ?

HeartFire
01-12-2010, 09:48
Any idea when the new 2 person tent will be available and how much ?

Gunner, I'll have it about the 3rd week in April, and it's $295.00

300winmag
01-13-2010, 01:32
I have a TarpTent Moment at a few oz. more than the Lightheart. And, as nice of a design as the Lightheart is I would rather have the Moment's vestibule, fast setup and greater useable headroom.

It's the Moment's aerodynamics and vestibule that got me to sell my Contrail and buy the new Moment last summer.

All that said, I'm fascinated by the explosion of UL tent design in the past few years, mostly from American designers and a few Brits. It just keeps getting better and better.

Eric

HeartFire
01-21-2010, 16:12
I've updated the website to include info about the Duo tent

HeartFire
01-21-2010, 16:12
I suppose I should have included the website!
www.lightheartgear.com

leaftye
01-27-2010, 13:30
I love that your tent has so much visibility due to all the mesh. That does bring about a concern though. What kind of mesh is it?

FamilyGuy
01-27-2010, 13:47
I have a TarpTent Moment at a few oz. more than the Lightheart. And, as nice of a design as the Lightheart is I would rather have the Moment's vestibule, fast setup and greater useable headroom.

It's the Moment's aerodynamics and vestibule that got me to sell my Contrail and buy the new Moment last summer.

All that said, I'm fascinated by the explosion of UL tent design in the past few years, mostly from American designers and a few Brits. It just keeps getting better and better.

Eric

Perhaps there are those that don't want to carry a dedicated tent pole. Perhaps there are those that prefer more room. The Moment is not the panacea for everyones needs.

HeartFire
01-27-2010, 13:54
It's black, no-seeum mesh.

I love that your tent has so much visibility due to all the mesh. That does bring about a concern though. What kind of mesh is it?

johnthebaton
03-28-2010, 03:23
Perhaps there are those that don't want to carry a dedicated tent pole. Perhaps there are those that prefer more room. The Moment is not the panacea for everyones needs.

I am a fan of Henry Shire's Tarptents and I have owned several of his tents. I have been looking really closely at the Moment. But in this case I have to agree with Judy that the Lightheart offers distinct advantages. The biggest one for me is the much better visibility. The problem I have with most tarps and Tarptents is that once I get inside, I can't enjoy the views I worked so hard to hike to! The other problem is that most Tarptents are too hot and stuffy during the day. The one exception is the TT Double Rainbow, but that's 40 oz and still doesn't offer the same visibility.

While it's true that SMD's new Vamp tent does this, the setup is more complicated, it looks less wind resistant, and you have to fiddle with attaching a separate rain fly to all 5 corners once it starts raining. With the Lightheart, I can take an afternoon nap by a buggy lake in full sun, and stay in the same spot when evening rains come, without fiddling with a separate fly.

Another advantage to the Lightheart Solo is the simplified mesh perimeter. You can really let you arms/legs/sleeping pad slide up against the edges and still be protected. In the Moment you run the risk of sliding off your pad and onto the mesh perimeter, where you could get wet, let pooling water enter, or even damage the mesh. Further, the floor of the Lightheart Solo is firmly spread across the ground, and thus won't bunch up and slide around like some of the Tarptents are prone to.

I really hope the Lightheart Solo gets more media attention from other lightweight hiking sites, because I personally think, from the specs anyway, that this tent can compete with the best of them and appears to have one of the fastest and simplest setups. My personal feature requests would be an apex vent or two, side mesh pockets, and a small zipper on the backside mesh to allow raising and lowering of the rear fly without getting out of the tent.

johnthebaton
03-28-2010, 03:39
A few other thoughts: The Moment does look more wind resistant than the Lightheart Solo, since the arched pole can provide a more taught awning. But it occurs to me that even if more flapping occurs with the Lightheart awning, the core structure of the tent should reman strong. The trekking poles really anchor the sides, and the head/foot end stakes should keep the poles taut and upright. I would be VERY interested in seeing side-by-side video of the Moment and Lightheart Solo in high winds.

One last comment about interior space: it is true that the Moment has more interior headroom, but I would argue that the Lightheart with the awnings raised (in all-mesh mode) would feel more open than the Moment. And here on the West coast where summer rains are less common, that would give me many more starry nights than what I would experience in the Moment.

Don't get me wrong, the Moment is an excellent shelter. I just think think there are definitely reasons to consider the Lightheart Solo.

Nearly Normal
04-09-2010, 12:03
I looked at both the solo and duo in Franklin this year. Got into both.
If I didn't already have a good backpacking tent I would buy the duo.
I may buy it anyway.

mykl
04-09-2010, 13:13
besides the standard grey, what colors are the solo and duo available in?

HeartFire
04-09-2010, 16:51
besides the standard grey, what colors are the solo and duo available in?
The Duo is available only in gray with a black floor.
The Solo is available in any color I can get the fabric in; Hot Pink to Forest Green, Lemon yellow to sky blue etc etc.

If you have a specific color you are interested in email me and I'll let you know.
Judy

papa john
04-10-2010, 07:53
Do you need adjustable hiking poles to use this? Mine are 130cm non-adjustable poles. I really like this tent!

Persistent
04-10-2010, 13:48
You don't need to have adjustable hiking poles to use this tent. If your poles really are 130 cm long, they should work.

papa john
04-10-2010, 19:28
You don't need to have adjustable hiking poles to use this tent. If your poles really are 130 cm long, they should work.

Thanks. I went back and checked and they are 120cm. I'd have to figure out a 4" extension.

HeartFire
04-29-2010, 09:21
The LightHeart Duo is in stock (finally) I'm going out today to try and get some good pictures of it to post on the website.

The fabric of the Duo is still the 1.1 oz sil-nylon, but it has a waterproof rating of about 3 times that of most sil-nylon found here. it has a hydrostatic head of 3500 mm water. the gray Solo's now have that same fabric (I'm no longer sewing them myself). I will still make the colored solo's and can put in different colored floors if people don't want a black floor.

See you all at Trail Days.
HeartFire

HeartFire
04-29-2010, 19:07
I have new photos of both tents up on the website
http://lightheartgear.com/photos.html

samantha48
04-30-2010, 03:53
As I have seen the tent, I have agreed the successful of one tent is trough hiking. Your tent would certainly justify a close look! I really liked the weight! Good luck you more!

mlebwill
05-02-2010, 21:45
I have new photos of both tents up on the website
http://lightheartgear.com/photos.html

Judy - the new pictures look great. I do see two new features that I didn't get on my tent that are worth noting.

It looks like you added some velcro straps to secure the spreader bar, is that correct? If so that is a great addition (I'm trying to figure out how to add that to mine).

Also - it looks like a small pocket has been added for small gear... Another great addition.

With these new features are you still at 26 oz?

Thanks,

Mike

HeartFire
05-03-2010, 15:49
I can't keep up with production of the tent by myself, so I'm now having the tent manufactured for me - I will still make the colored ones, just not the gray ones. The manufacture is putting in the pocket and velcro (which I really really don't think is needed, but some people thought it should be there. Along with that, the extra tie outs and the reinforcements for the tie outs has raised the weight by one ounce.
So, the weight now will range from 26 to 27 ounces.
Judy

Tinker
11-13-2012, 11:15
I'm bumping this thread due to the need of next year's "Thrubies" potential need for lightweight shelter. :)

Old Hiker
11-13-2012, 11:22
Good to bump. I'm still very pleased with mine, other than the color.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions

HeartFire
11-14-2012, 06:21
Our end of year sale will start soon after Thanksgiving
Judy - LightHeart Gear

10-K
11-14-2012, 09:21
Judy - the new pictures look great. I do see two new features that I didn't get on my tent that are worth noting.

It looks like you added some velcro straps to secure the spreader bar, is that correct? If so that is a great addition (I'm trying to figure out how to add that to mine).

Also - it looks like a small pocket has been added for small gear... Another great addition.

With these new features are you still at 26 oz?

Thanks,

Mike

I've got a cuben solo.

One advantage of cuben is that duct tape will stick to it. I used a strop to help hold the spreader bar in place and it works great.

I'd like to see the spreader bar inserted into a sleeve to hold it in place instead of velcro straps. Hint... hint... :)

HeartFire
11-15-2012, 06:43
I've got a cuben solo.

One advantage of cuben is that duct tape will stick to it. I used a strop to help hold the spreader bar in place and it works great.

I'd like to see the spreader bar inserted into a sleeve to hold it in place instead of velcro straps. Hint... hint... :)

putting a 'sleeve' in for the ridge pole is a lot more complicated than you would think. The last seam on the Solo is putting the 2 half sides together along the ridge line. If I were to put a sleeve in after I sewed this seam, it would be just way too much trouble - I'd have to raise the price of the tent due to the difficulty in sewing that in correctly! Seriously - it would not be impossible, but would be VERY awkward to work with and do it nicely so that it is properly secured. - so nope, I'm not about to do it.

10-K
11-15-2012, 10:29
Seriously - it would not be impossible, but would be VERY awkward to work with and do it nicely so that it is properly secured. - so nope, I'm not about to do it.

Well.. I guess electricity and running water is out of the question then? :)

I could make a sleeve easy enough with some velcro and a piece of cuben material if it were that important. Duct tape works fine on mine and it gives it that "look"... Nothing like seeing something with duct tape stuck on it.

Old Hiker
11-15-2012, 11:13
Well.. I guess electricity and running water is out of the question then? :)

.................Nothing like seeing something with duct tape stuck on it.

Got THAT right - you haven't seen my mother-in-law...........ooops. Wrong thread - never mind.

A sleeve would be cool, but not at an added price. I'm just worried I'm gonna get to camp and find out I left it behind. I need to spray paint it bright orange or red, I think.

10-K
11-15-2012, 12:12
Don't remove the spreader bar. Leave it affixed with the straps and roll it up with the tent.

That's what I do anyway.

10-K
11-15-2012, 12:15
I also need to change what I said because it's not quite right. I put a strip of duct tape on the tent above the spreader bar so if my hiking pole slipped out or if I missed I wouldn't poke a hole in the tent.

The bar itself is just held in place with the two straps.

HeartFire
11-16-2012, 06:26
10K - Why are you worried about your poles slipping out of the ridge pole? They should fit very snuggly into it. We ask what trekking poles people use because some brands - Black Diamond, REI, & Komperdell the tips are a little fatter than Leki's, and we have to do a slight modification to the ridge pole to fit those other brands. That is the only reason a trekking pole might slip out.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

HeartFire
11-16-2012, 06:39
BTW, I will also be offering the SoLong 6 tent , now with a "standard" or stock version. These are manufactured here in North Carolina. 'Made in the USA' - I got it loud and clear after I had the Solo & Duo made in China. There will be 2 color options in the stock tent, forest green tent with a tan floor or tan tet with a forest green floor. It will have 2 doors, and an awning on one side. There is a zipper in the awning over the door so that a) you don't have to crawl under the awning to get in and out, b) if the awning is shut for a storm, you can unzip it to get out. - no more fiddling with the loops in the caribiner The fly comes down almost to the ground in the corners to provide greater protection from rain. The overal size of the tent has not changed, there are 2 ridge vents, line locks on all 4 corners and the fly's.

After all the negative comments I got about having things made in China, and i know we had a long thread somewhere on White Blaze about this, which I thought was interesting because many people gave kudos to SMD for outsourcing to China, but I just got a lot of flack - Anyway, I promised not to do it again, and, since there isn't a decent place to get small quantities of items manufactured here in the USA, I decided to make that happen. I just opened a new business, Excelsior Sewing. I am specializing in small businesses. Sewing small quantities at an affordable price I will sew just 20 items for a company if thats all they want. I've been open for about a month, and already am getting in more business than I can handle.

Judy
LightHeart Gear

10-K
11-16-2012, 12:42
I use black diamond poles and got a custom fit for them by heating the pole over my gas. stove to soften the plastic and then inserted the tips and let it cool.

I'm not worried about them slipping out after they get in there.

I'm worried about me missing the bar and jabbing a hole in the roof with the tip of my pole.

10-K
11-16-2012, 12:43
I can be clumsy like that sometimes.

RJ Lewis
03-26-2013, 22:42
I'm looking very much to my thru hike on the AT with my cuben fiber solo!! I decided to spoil myself and got the awning, and am very pleased with my decision. Judy included an extra pocket for me- although I never said why I needed it, its for medications I need to have at hand first thing in the morning. The other one is for glasses. Thanks for helping me out with my little issue. This is a tent I am sure I will be using for years down the road.

Oh and I love the forest green coloring with the black flooring. Nice way to blend into the woods!! :)

Nooga
03-27-2013, 19:47
Oh and I love the forest green coloring with the black flooring. Nice way to blend into the woods!! :)[/QUOTE]

Just make sure you can find it after midnight call!