PDA

View Full Version : Any established tents sites North of Blood Mtn?

l0ngterm
08-03-2009, 22:16
I have a small section trip this weekend (8/7-8/8). Need to finish up at Neels Gap very early in the morning so want to camp somewhere between Blood Mtn and Neels with maybe only a mile short of Neels.

I do not want to camp on top of Blood Mtn. so something North of there after the serious downhill would be great.

I've been there tons of times but was never focused on a camp spot.

Also, are fires allowed this time of year there?

regards,

l0ngterm

Bulldawg
08-03-2009, 22:43
I have a small section trip this weekend (8/7-8/8). Need to finish up at Neels Gap very early in the morning so want to camp somewhere between Blood Mtn and Neels with maybe only a mile short of Neels.

I do not want to camp on top of Blood Mtn. so something North of there after the serious downhill would be great.

I've been there tons of times but was never focused on a camp spot.

Also, are fires allowed this time of year there?

regards,

l0ngterm

You can camp most anywhere north of the summit, just NO CAMPFIRES in the wilderness area. If it were me, I'd come down to the Flatrock Gap area and camp. But then again, if it were me, I'd have a hard time pulling up a mile short of the Gap; I'd spend the night in the hostel with Pirate and Cool Breeze if it were me.

fiddlehead
08-03-2009, 22:44
Ah, i remember a great spot about halfway down between Blood Mtn summit and Neels Gap.
It was on the right hand side and had a big flat rectangular shaped rock that protected the sleeping area from the wind and maybe people seeing you a bit also.
I have camped there at least 3 times.
Then hit the store 1st thing in the morning, save yourself some money and continue on to some great spots on the ridge north or Neels

l0ngterm
08-03-2009, 23:03
Good info. Thanks.

Bulldawg, I agree, Pirate and CoolBreeze are both worth a shot. I spent two days there with them this Spring. Its not that I don't want to again, I just want another night in the woods :-)

Jack Tarlin
08-04-2009, 13:10
Fiddlehead nailed it, it's a great site. Just make sure you bring whatever water you'll need for cooking, etc.

l0ngterm
08-04-2009, 19:07
Thanks Fiddlehead/Jack, I'll look for that one. The whole rock windbreak sounds good.

l0ngterm