PDA

View Full Version : I discovered the ADT!

puddingboy
08-03-2009, 23:29
While fishing with my cousins at cedar lake, here in cedar rapids i saw an American Discovery Trail sign. I guess it run right through the heart of downtown on a paved bike path.

mkmangold
08-04-2009, 00:37
While fishing with my cousins at cedar lake, here in cedar rapids i saw an American Discovery Trail sign. I guess it run right through the heart of downtown on a paved bike path.

Do you have more details about the trail? Also, didn't you hike the Ice Age Trail? If so, can you give us a summary?

jrwiesz
08-04-2009, 01:34
Check-out "Lion Kings" entries here on WB, or U-tube.
The state park up in Waterloo, has the northern most point of the ADT, Iowa has a southern and northern section of the ADT.
I have a couple pics in my gallery of the depot in Center Point, which is north of Cedar Rapids; I think you can easily bike ride/hike from Cedar Rapids to Center Point, as I think the trail is complete in that section. ?15-20 miles, maybe? State Recreation Area west of Center Point good area to play.
Anyway, have fun with your discovery!!!:sun

Tennessee Viking
08-04-2009, 08:40
While fishing with my cousins at cedar lake, here in cedar rapids i saw an American Discovery Trail sign. I guess it run right through the heart of downtown on a paved bike path.I used to live just down the road from the ADT in Waterloo. Never did see any hikers on it though.

ADT is more of a route than trail. It connects greenways and parks by roads.

puddingboy
08-04-2009, 12:41
Do you have more details about the trail? Also, didn't you hike the Ice Age Trail? If so, can you give us a summary?

Well the trail is pretty much a bike trail, and it goes all across iowa right through my home town i guess. I do know that it follows the cedar valley nature trail for 52 miles north to waterloo.

I'm leaving to hike the Ice Age Trail up in chequemegon national forest on thursday and i will leave a trip report when i get back.

Different Socks
08-09-2009, 00:25
Hey Puddingboy!
Have a great time on the IAT. I've done about 650 miles on it. Hope to fill in the gaps in about 4 years.

Graywolf
10-04-2009, 23:52
Well the trail is pretty much a bike trail, and it goes all across iowa right through my home town i guess. I do know that it follows the cedar valley nature trail for 52 miles north to waterloo.

I'm leaving to hike the Ice Age Trail up in chequemegon national forest on thursday and i will leave a trip report when i get back.

Lion King has a journal on Trail Journals and there is also a ADT website.

In some places such as Kansas and Colorado, there are places that are foot traffic only. But only far and between.

But still would be a fun adventure

barich942
02-10-2015, 22:15
This soulds like a cool trail