PDA

View Full Version : Aska trails area?

betwen2trees
08-04-2009, 09:56
I am trying to plan a section hike on the BMT and was wondering if the Aska adventure trails area connected to the BMT. My friends cabin is off of aska road (deep gap rd on turkeytrout mnt) in blueridge and would love to just hike down the street to the aska adventure area trail head and hook up to the bmt and head to springer mnt.

also, has anyone done this section? what is the water situation like and how many road sections do you have to hike on? Just the stanley creek rd?

CBSSTony
08-04-2009, 17:51
From the Deep Gap trailhead, hikers must walk 0.1 mile on Flat Creek Loop to reach the beginning of Stanley Gap Trail. At mile 2.3 the Benton-MacKaye Trail ties in, and the trails continue as one until mile 4.3, where the Benton-MacKaye splits off to the left.

CBSSTony
08-04-2009, 17:57
The trail shares the same path for part of the way with the longer Benton MacKaye. If you hike the trail from Deep Gap it is easier than hiking it from Stanley Gap, mostly because of the grueling, 2 mile, 1400 foot ascent from Stanley Gap to Rocky Mountain. We also like to hike this trail from Deep Gap because we can recoup at Falls Branch Falls near the end of the trail.

Climbing at the outset, the trail rises to the top of Davenport Mountain, from here following a high ridge. As typical of ridge top trails there is little water to be found. Views are occasionally good along this portion of the path and at 1.8 miles the footpath joins the Benton MacKaye Trail. From this point the trail continues to follow the ridge until Rocky Mountian (2.7 miles), when it begins the descent into Stanley Gap. At 3.75 miles the Stanley Gap Trail comes off to the right. At this point we normally continue on the Benton MacKaye so that we can spend a few minutes at Falls Branch Falls.

betwen2trees
08-05-2009, 08:19
From the Deep Gap trailhead, hikers must walk 0.1 mile on Flat Creek Loop to reach the beginning of Stanley Gap Trail. At mile 2.3 the Benton-MacKaye Trail ties in, and the trails continue as one until mile 4.3, where the Benton-MacKaye splits off to the left.

Thanks, that should work out! I have been to Falls Branch Falls but had no clue it hooked up to Aska trails. I could have saved myself the drive a few times...

jada1
05-02-2010, 22:01
We own a cabin in "The Forest Has Eyes" subdivision on Stanley Creek Rd. We're only up there part-time (hope to change that to full time soon) What a beautiful place to hike or bike. We're only a quarter mile from the Toccoa River and The Falls Branch falls is just a short trip from our cabin. It's always beautiful there, but especially wonderful:) in the fall.

Paula

thelowend
06-30-2010, 03:54
^ i drive by yalls subdivision all the time when hiking up in the rich mountains and on the bmt. i love the name and have even stopped and taken a picture of the street sign