PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Colorado backpacking guide

ShoelessWanderer
08-04-2009, 11:32
Does anyone know someone? I'm trying to plan a weeklong trip for a group next summer. I have no problem leading trips around here (AT) but, not comfortable doing it in Colorado where I know nothing about the environment/geography.

I've found some online, but they are all super expensive and they all want to provide your gear & food. Great for beginners, but our group has all the gear we need, and prefer if everyone carries their own food, rather than rationing out group food.

Anyone have any people/companies in mind? Date/location are flexible.

Cannibal
08-04-2009, 11:37
A guide for the Colorado Trail or just trails in general?
The CT Guidebook (http://www.coloradotrail.org/store.html) is really pretty good. Be sure to read the 'hints' at the beginning of the segments; they are pretty much spot-on.

Cannibal
08-04-2009, 11:39
Never mind, it looks like you're actually looking for a human guide. My bad; I should read better.

ShoelessWanderer
08-04-2009, 11:40
Pretty much anywhere in Colorado. Maybe I should have reworded my previous post. I'm actually looking for someone who would be willing to be our guide. As in, going on the trip & leading us. All experienced backpackers, just not in Colorado. Looking for someone who knows the environment/geography/trails.

Are willing to pay a reasonable amount to the person. All I've found online have been like $100+per person/per day. That's just way too expensive (at least in my eyes.) When you are talking a week long trip for 6-8 people, that's a lot of moola!

ShoelessWanderer
08-04-2009, 11:40
Sorry, was responding at the same time you did! :sun

Nean
08-04-2009, 11:58
Does anyone know someone? I'm trying to plan a weeklong trip for a group next summer. I have no problem leading trips around here (AT) but, not comfortable doing it in Colorado where I know nothing about the environment/geography.

I've found some online, but they are all super expensive and they all want to provide your gear & food. Great for beginners, but our group has all the gear we need, and prefer if everyone carries their own food, rather than rationing out group food.

Thats something I'd be interested in but next summer is another lifetime away. Mags would be a great person or he could recommend someone I'm sure. I've only done a couple of trails in Co. besides:o

wilconow
08-04-2009, 12:01

Are you doing mountaineering?

ShoelessWanderer
08-04-2009, 12:14
No mountaineering, just good ol regular backpacking. Nothing too extreme!

ShoelessWanderer
08-04-2009, 12:15
Thats something I'd be interested in but next summer is another lifetime away. Mags would be a great person or he could recommend someone I'm sure. I've only done a couple of trails in Co. besides:o

Yes, next summer is a lifetime away! Just trying to get an idea on someone who would be interested, how much they'd charge, what kind of trails they'd suggest, etc. So I can let my group know so they can start planning money-wise.

Cannibal
08-04-2009, 12:29
You know, most of the trials out here are pretty well used and easy to navigate. At least, the ones I've been on. You could easily plan a couple of weeks worth of hiking on very well defined trails in Rocky Mountain National Park. Tons and tons and tons of write-ups with good info on most of those trails. The CT is also very well marked (Segment 2 sucks and should be avoided) and resupply isn't a horrible challenge.

Just trying to think of some ways to save you and your party a buck or six.

ShoelessWanderer
08-04-2009, 12:36
I'm just scared of leading a trip to an area that I'm TOTALLY unfamiliar with...but may end up doing it if I can't find anyone for a reasonable rate.

Mags
08-04-2009, 14:30
If you are an experienced backpacker, Colorado should not be a challenge that is out of bounds for you.

Colorado, in general, has well maintained and marked trails. If you can read a map, you'll be fine. :) There are indeed guides and guided trips avail, but they all cost some serious bank (as you found out). I honestly don't think a guide will do anything that you can't do with a little research and planning.

Having said all that, I have some backpacking loops on my website. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Favorite-Colorado-Hikes.html)
Naturally, I can suggest others, too.

I do suggest spending two days (at least) acclimating before you and your friends go off into the Colorado backcountry. The only other caveats for Colorado hiking is to keep the sun protection factor in mind (more intense UV radiation at altitude) and to hydrate more in the drier air of Colorado. Other than that, any experienced backpacker should be fine and have fun in Colorado.

Any questions? Please feel free to ping me.

ShoelessWanderer
08-04-2009, 14:32
If you are an experienced backpacker, Colorado should not be a challenge that is out of bounds for you.

Colorado, in general, has well maintained and marked trails. If you can read a map, you'll be fine. :) There are indeed guides and guided trips avail, but they all cost some serious bank (as you found out). I honestly don't think a guide will do anything that you can't do with a little research and planning.

Having said all that, I have some backpacking loops on my website. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Favorite-Colorado-Hikes.html)
Naturally, I can suggest others, too.

I do suggest spending two days (at least) acclimating before you and your friends go off into the Colorado backcountry. The only other caveats for Colorado hiking is to keep the sun protection factor in mind (more intense UV radiation at altitude) and to hydrate more in the drier air of Colorado. Other than that, any experienced backpacker should be fine and have fun in Colorado.

Any questions? Please feel free to ping me.

Your ears must have been morning...we were just talking about you. All good stuff, I promise! ;) I will definatly check out your site and send you some questions.

The Solemates
08-04-2009, 17:44
you dont need a guide...even if you are a greenhorn to CO hiking. take mags up on his offer of free advice...hound him :)

ShoelessWanderer
08-04-2009, 19:09
Well...I'm starting to think it may not be as bad as I thought...all those awesome pics of the mountains out there, though, are a little frightening (yet gorgeous!)

So, as of this point, I'm planning the trip myself...I will hound Mags & Cannibal with questions! (Ahh...they had no idea what they were in for when they offered help :jump)